The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 3124+ or Chandler TG-2 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 21st September 2008
thanks dude!
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
And I forgot one ****DUDE!
fuuck
Jpupo I think thou protesth too much?

You got a problem or what?

R.
Old 21st September 2008
Gear Maniac

The 3124 excels on sound sources that need to retain attack and punch without too much color or distortion. The Chandler stuff squishs and distorts the signal more, but in a good way. The 3124 is a great deal and I love mine.

I dont think I would the compare the Chandler against the 3124. I would compare the Chandler against the Great River or a 2 channel tube pre at a similar price point.

Keep this in mind though; if you record the signal punchy then you can always still squish and distort it later, but if you do too much squishing and distorting on the way in you may wish you hadn't later. I would much rather get a bunch of raw tracks to mix that are all recorded with API, then a bunch of overly colored and distorted tracks to mix. The pros know what to do with high end gear like the TG2, but if you are just starting out(002 users) then maybe playing it safe for a while might be a good idea.
Old 22nd September 2008
Gear Nut

I just picked up a TG2, and so far, it's my favorite pre I've ever owned. I haven't owned API yet, but have used them. I agree with the others who have said one isn't better than the other. Both awesome units that you can't go wrong with. I was specifically looking for warmth and character, and the TG2 blew me away. It just sounds musical on most sources. Even on the mix bus for some songs! I agree it can soften sources which is one reason why I love it. It can really give you a smooth musical sound with a really big, but tight low end. The highs are there, and really smooth. The mids are so musical and smooth as well. I would highly recommend it as one of your go-to pre's. I've tried a lot of them lately, and for me, it's a total winner at the top of the class.thumbsup

Pete
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Just out of curiosity, how does a TG2 compare to a Germanium, is the circuitry in both units really different or is it marginal? Granted, the Germ has lots of tone shaping capability, but of those 2, which would be more versatile (discounting the fact that one is a dual channel and the other a single), better yet, if anyone's had the chance to hear them back to back, which sounds better? I had a Germanium for a while and loved it, so much that I'm teetering on getting another, but there's so many options out there now it's mind boggling, although I will say that I am partial to Chandler based on my Germanium experience, but a 2 channel pre has been on my list, which is why I'm asking about the TG2.
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

To me API is a bit like SSL...
i Dont like the Pres much but their EQ and compressors are INCREDIBLE.
Old 22nd September 2008

Quote:
API sounds like ****?
fuuckfuuckfuuckfuuckfuuck

Pupo

P.S.
I tried to place 111 ****DUDES but it didn't work...
So 95 more ****DUDES for you...
But as always

But 111 ****DUDES!
I'm sorry Jose, but this was completely unnecessary and very immature. You revived this thread just to tell someone you disagree with to **** off?

I may not agree with Paul about API "sucking" (for the record I think API makes some of the best gear of all time), but the lack of respect you have shown to Paul is shameful.
Old 22nd September 2008
Gear Maniac

I own a 3124 and TG-2/TG Channel mic pres. Whenever I've tried both on a source (typically kick, snr, gtr, and bass) I've preferred the TG every single time.

Catamount Recording
Old 22nd September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keire View Post
I also have a gp2 pre with hardy 990s in it. Sometime you don't need vibe you just need fast and clear... as with overheads and room

but like you, after im done with drums i don't use it either...and the tg2 gets used for almost every over dub. except bass, organ and vocals...all 1073.
I'm with you. The TG-2 is the last pre (that I own) that I would use on Overheads or Acoustic Guitars.

The TG-2 isn't dark but high end detail isn't it's strong suit. I'm of the belief that the TG-2 is so popular because most of us are not using tape anymore.
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I'm with you. The TG-2 is the last pre (that I own) that I would use on Overheads or Acoustic Guitars.

The TG-2 isn't dark but high end detail isn't it's strong suit. I'm of the belief that the TG-2 is so popular because most of us are not using tape anymore.
you nailed it

and yeah, its not fast...its not very detailed. its great for close mics on things that need more low mid action and soft highs. thumpy things.

i love it on kick, percusion, upright bass, elec guitars and sometimes vox. and i really love it with a d12,m160 or a 57
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So what would you use? API, Shadow Hills Gamma, LaChapelle, or .....

Just curious.
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear
usualy neve 1073 on guitar with either a 57 or a 87

and some SDC (like km184s right now)going into a really clean, fast detailed pre for OH

like a hardy pre or a bob lanois GP2

i know it wasnt directed to me...but have been away from the studio on my honeymoon for a month and miss the tech talk.
Old 22nd September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseJim View Post
So what would you use? API, Shadow Hills Gamma, LaChapelle, or .....

Just curious.
I use my APIs on Overheads. The Neves are pretty good there too but I prefer the Neve for Toms.

I use API, Daking or Neve for Ac Gut.

Neve exclusively for Bass although the API isn't bad either.

I, unfortunately, need them all.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Jpupo I think thou protesth too much?

You got a problem or what?

R.
No...
Do you?
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I'm sorry Jose, but this was completely unnecessary and very immature. You revived this thread just to tell someone you disagree with to **** off?

I may not agree with Paul about API "sucking" (for the record I think API makes some of the best gear of all time), but the lack of respect you have shown to Paul is shameful.
Sorry Tony...
I think HIS comment was immature. He never said it sucked, he said it sounded like ****. That leaves nothing to someone reading a post. Maybe mine either...but I posted ituse I thin it's a shame.

You've also revived lots of threads to add your stuff...remember we once posted on the same thread???
Not so long ago...stupid fights between dealers and that kind of things, as usual...
I might be wrong but I didn't say ****off to anyone...maybe I did before?
I don't have time to look that up...
Everybody uses those little icons...that's the reason for them to be there...for people to use them.

Chao Tony,
Pupo

Last edited by jpupo74; 23rd September 2008 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something...
Old 23rd September 2008

Quote:
Sorry Tony...
I think HIS comment was immature. He never said it sucked, he said it sounded like ****. That leaves nothing to someone reading a post. Maybe mine either...but I posted ituse I thin it's a shame.

You've also revived lots of threads to add your stuff...remember we once posted on the same thread???
Not so long ago...stupid fights between dealers and that kind of things, as usual...
I might be wrong but I didn't say ****off to anyone...maybe I did before?
I don't have time to look that up...
Everybody uses those little icons...that's the reason for them to be there...for people to use them.

Chao Tony,
Pupo
The person you were insulting has a lot to offer the forum. If people like Paul decide not to post on the forum due to insults like those, then we have all lost another resource.

Either way, I don't have time to delve into this any deeper. If you feel good about yourself then fine.... Have a nice day.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krou View Post
Just out of curiosity, how does a TG2 compare to a Germanium, is the circuitry in both units really different or is it marginal? Granted, the Germ has lots of tone shaping capability, but of those 2, which would be more versatile (discounting the fact that one is a dual channel and the other a single), better yet, if anyone's had the chance to hear them back to back, which sounds better? I had a Germanium for a while and loved it, so much that I'm teetering on getting another, but there's so many options out there now it's mind boggling, although I will say that I am partial to Chandler based on my Germanium experience, but a 2 channel pre has been on my list, which is why I'm asking about the TG2.
As always YMMV but i've played around with the API and both chandler units as well as a few other pre's. For me personally i own 4 germaniums and 4 tg channels. Their tone gets me part of the way to what i want to hear. Everyone's tastes vary but i wanted the sound more affected than the API would give. I always end up squashing down transient information but not obliterating it, much in the way tape used properly is said to do (i personally have never used tape on a project but know what sounds I am trying to emulate). The TG and the germ get me closer to those sounds that i want to sound like than any other pre's with digital. On the question asked, i find the two pre's from chandler very different. The germanium is quite a chameleon, but I would consider it being able to go from very hi fi, to very round, always retaining a lot of warmth to the sound. Sources sound very large and just plain right. The TG tends to for me sound a bit more vintage in the way that sources don't really sound as much like they do in real life. Somehow the TG pre's seem to seperate sounds more and tighten them, whereas the germ seems to just make them bigger and bigger. I don't know how that works but for instance room tones are tighter in the TG and feel more of a dead 70's vibe to them, but its such a great usable sound on everything, both are.. As always, see what you think for yourself but i doubt you'd return or ever sell either of these.
Old 23rd September 2008
Hey,

Thanks Guy's.

I apologise for my initial flippancy regarding this API product and Pupo you're right my first comment had no informative merit.
I believe that the 3124+ is a well built, relatively good value, reliable unit that many people seem to enjoy working with, I personally do not like the sound so to MY EARS it sounds ****ty.

I will try to be a little more responsible and less drunken in future heh

Cheers
Paul G
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm also interested in APIs... but now that I hear the comments on the Chandlers I might reconsider...

In this type of threads I think that it would be even more helpful to indicate what type of music your are recording with the type of gear you are using...

Are we talking about drums like Moltey Crue, Vinnie Colauita,Dave Weckl or Mike Portnoy?

And the guitars? AC/DC, Tool, Meshugah, BBKing or Pat Matheny kind of sound?

Some of you did mentioned it, some didn't... I'm not complaining I'm just asking if you could be more complete in threads of this type in the future. heh

Any way one can have a general idea of how they sound different by reading this thread .

But knowing for what they are really good for, depends on your ears and the type of music you are recording...
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Spot View Post
I'm also interested in APIs... but now that I hear the comments on the Chandlers I might reconsider...

In this type of threads I think that it would be even more helpful to indicate what type of music your are recording with the type of gear you are using...

Are we talking about drums like Moltey Crue, Vinnie Colauita,Dave Weckl or Mike Portnoy?

And the guitars? AC/DC, Tool, Meshugah, BBKing or Pat Matheny kind of sound?

Some of you did mentioned it, some didn't... I'm not complaining I'm just asking if you could be more complete in threads of this type in the future. heh

Any way one can have a general idea of how they sound different by reading this thread .

But knowing for what they are really good for, depends on your ears and the type of music you are recording...
I personally feel that "G-spot" adds a very important point here, in that it might be very helpful to know what kind of music one engineer most often record, when they (we) review gear in a thread like this.

For example, a highly professional engineer I know cannot find enough nice things to say about the TG-2. Still, knowing that he records a lot of really heavy rock music, I think that has to be taken into consideration, when I try to make sense of his recommendation, in relation to my own situation.

By no means do I suggest that the TG-2 might or might not be better suited for heavy music, only that the music for which we use different gear MIGHT influence our perceptions of said gear.

On a related note, I know that there's a lot of great gear out there that I myself would NOT want to use, since I feel that that particular piece doesn't fit with my own "taste" or sense of aesthetics when it comes to recording. Even when trying to be objective in a review, I realize that it's always difficult to avoid being colored by your own tastes, so adding these "tastes" in a review might add to its helpfullness??
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I believe that the 3124+ is a well built, relatively good value, reliable unit that many people seem to enjoy working with, I personally do not like the sound so to MY EARS it sounds ****ty.
Did you ever try the Brent Averill 312As? I love those pres although I never abused a 3124+ myself.....
Old 23rd September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Did you ever try the Brent Averill 312As? I love those pres although I never abused a 3124+ myself.....
No I haven't yet but I'll check them out as a friend has them.
Cheers
Paul
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by krou View Post
I have both the TG2 and a Germ Pre. I would pick the TG2 first if you have to choose just one. The Germ is REALLY thick and for my uses, not as flexible as the TG2. Both great pre's, though. The TG2 just seems to sound good on most sources.

Pete
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:

That's interesting. The TG2 is the first pre of the ones I own that I use on my Taylor 614ce acoustic guitar. I think a lot of it is the mic and the guitar you are using. The TG2 sounds incredible on my guitar with either an Earthworks QTC1 or a Manley Gold Ref. I use a highpass with the Manley since it's a large diaphragm and picks up lots of deep lows. It's by far the best acoustic sound I've achieved in my room to date. I haven't tried the TG2 on overheads since I don't track much in the way of drums. The TG2 is a great pre to warm up virtual instrument sounds with as well. I think we're all just lucky to have so many great pre's to choose from! Everyone finds great uses for different ones. That's half the fun!

Best,
Pete
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
The person you were insulting has a lot to offer the forum. If people like Paul decide not to post on the forum due to insults like those, then we have all lost another resource.

Either way, I don't have time to delve into this any deeper. If you feel good about yourself then fine.... Have a nice day.
I don't think it was an insult...but as you said...very intelligently...

I don't have time to delve into this any deeper. If you feel good about yourself then fine.... Have a nice day

Pupo
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Addict

TG2 vs API 3124

We own a TG2 and a couple API 3124's, in addition to several other Pre's, (Shadow Hills Quad Gama, BAE 1073, GML, NPNG , Mercury etc..). The TG2 gets a lot of use as a DI for Bass and for mic'ing Electric Guitar Amps (Royer 121 and Senn 421 or SM57). We use the API 3124's for tracking drums and guitars frequently, although lately I have been using the NPNG with a Royer 122 for Drum OH's, sweet... (Thanks Fletcher). Bang for the buck-wise, the API 3124 is hard to beat.

If money weren't a factor (and for me it always is, I can't cost justify Neves) I'd probably buy a bunch of BAE 1073's -- extremely versatile and do a very good job on many things -- Vox, E Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Drums and Bass. The EQ is a nice feature on BAE 1073 that the TG2 doesn't have. I would always want a least one TG2 and would not sell mine for any reason, too good for Bass and E Guitar. As always, it really depends on individual needs i.e. what type of music, recording environment, current gear etc.. and tastes. Hope this helps.
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

i have a lot of options in my studio. (Cranesong, VintageDesigns, Oram, Sytek,etc, no I dont have a TG2).

I still couldnt find a better match for tracking toms than api3124 with my old white 421´s.
I also love the api for kick and snare, it just depends on what kind of kick and snare you´re after.

And I also like apis for guitar amps, and for synths. They sound good everytime. Its a safe thing. I just dont like them much for vocals. They only work there sometimes...

For someone starting I cant even think about a better option, soundwise, price wise. 4 channels of a great preamp, for drums, for that price??? Unbeatable, maybe the daking...
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

2251 & tg-2?

Not to get us off the topic here but would the TG-2 tame a sibilance mic?

I have a Peluso 2251 and it is nice but depending on the vocalist it can pick up too much sibilance.
Old 26th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Re: Api 3124

Just finished modifying my beloved API 3124. It's a great pre right out of the box but one can never help from tinkering.

The units still use the venerable Cinemag mic input transformer which is an updated version of the original Reichenbach part that the old API's had, I understand. The output transformer was originally a Reichenbach part as well but is now a more economical transformer. API's unique design allows a bit of liberty with the output transformer; so this is not a make a break deal, just a subtlety and a desire on my part to restore the pre to it's original standards. I guess obviously I'd have to find 4 original discrete op-amp blocks to completely do that but I don't think there's a sonic advantage to do it (as far as I know, anyway). I was able to get ahold of the updated Cinemag part for the original Reichenbach and replace the 4 output xfrmrs. Definitely makes a good thing just a touch better. Thought you'd like to see...

Chad

Old 26th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
The EQ is a nice feature on BAE 1073 that the TG2 doesn't have.
The dual pre-amps is a nice feature on the TG-2 that the basic BAE 1073 doesn't have.

Catamount Recording

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search