The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 3124+ or Chandler TG-2 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse Hult View Post
How can anyone say that 3124+ sounds like ****, that person need to change A/D that is what i have done, i chose aurora 16/PTHD and it work great.
If i have gone with my old digi96 the story would have been the opposite i belive, so API do amazing stuff

Regards

Nisse
Hell API sounds amazing on Firepods, bypassing the Presonus preamps.
Old 29th August 2008
whatever.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
How can anyone say that 3124+ sounds like ****, that person need to change A/D that is what i have done, i chose aurora 16/PTHD and it work great.
If i have gone with my old digi96 the story would have been the opposite i belive, so API do amazing stuff

Regards

Nisse
You don't need PTHD to hear how amazing API is.
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:

Regards

Nisse
Actually I have prism A/D, I just don't like the sound of the 3124+
Am I the only one?
PG
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneE View Post
Dude, get an API a2d and get two great pres for drums and guitars AND upgrade your converters. -E
Yeah, I would start with the A2D too - the 002 is killing your sound! dfegad 002
Been there, done that.

Hey, wait - you want the gearslutty answer? Go get the A2D right away... and while you're at it, grap the TG2 AND the 3124+ too. Again, been there, done that!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Am I the only one?
PG
That's interesting. What's wrong with the 3124+ in your opinion?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I the only one?
PG
well, i do like the api....particularly on toms...but i favor daking over all.

that being said...i ran a studio for years with a rembrandt....and often remember how cool those pres were !!

whatever works for ya !!

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBGB View Post
This I don't understand.

I've been curious about the API sound so just today I went to a friend's who has a 3124. I listened to tracks recorded thru the API into PTHD (mainly drums). They sounded nice, strong, and clear. But both I and the unit's owner agree there is no "wow" factor there.

Do they have to distort to hear this special thing?

Also, bummer if you have to buy and use 4 external pads.

Api punch didn't give you the 'wow'? on Drums?
Close mic an acoustic with an Api. Nothing better

The bottom line is 100's of classic records were cut on api
how many on the TG?? uh, hmmmm......? Howabout NONE
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

errrr both
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarhus Lydstudie View Post
That's interesting. What's wrong with the 3124+ in your opinion?
I'm sorry I'm maybe being too harsh but considering the reputation they just don't sound that hot. Give me Calrec, Neve, Audix, Trident or even Amek (this is not patriotism BTW) any day.
PG
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
what?
Old 29th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
well, i do like the api....particularly on toms...but i favor daking over all.

that being said...i ran a studio for years with a rembrandt....and often remember how cool those pres were !!

whatever works for ya !!

best,

jchristopherhughes
Exactly. Modern Ameks don't have a great rep but ours has been wonderful.
Our API 3124+ has been a very reliable workhorse though.
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Addict

3124+

Try the API on small cap omni drum overheads. Killer. I like the API on overheads better than TG2 or Neve 1073 DPA.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

The 3124mb+ allows me to multi mic a 4x12 guitar cab and submix the output to an 1176 comp into a pultec eq.Sounds great....If you like modern rock.I had no idea the 512c in the 500 format sounded ...not the same?Are they that different?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
The 3124mb+ allows me to multi mic a 4x12 guitar cab and submix the output to an 1176 comp
I did not need to know this! ****.

(...thinking of self promise to not buy more high end gear this month)
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Using 3124+? Names please
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Hi. I'm not a big-name engineer. (And I've never been in a band that offered anything close to Morcheeba's genius.)

But that said, I've done a lot of engineering. And here's my two cents.

API are indeed great preamps. They are utilitarian and will stand up to just about anything. I do think that the API legend is based on the sound achieved with full consoles tracking to tape, and if you're using a 512c and tracking to PT (as so many of us are these days), you're not in the same ballpark. (I confess I sometimes find them harsh tracking to digital, and I've got Apogee ADxs.) But they're still very fine preamps and should get you where you need to go in most circumstances. I do find them "hot" and customarily run them either the Shure in-line pads or an A-Designs ATTY when tracking drums. Or I just calibrate those channels differently on the Apogees. (I detest Soft-Limit.)

To be candid, I tend to use them for drums almost exclusively (toms mostly, though sometimes room mics or a snare bottom), and I tend to use more Neve-type preamps (lately Avedis MA5s) or Chandler TG on the critical close mics (snare top, kick in and out). I tend to use more "high-fi" tube stuff (Pendulum) on the OH.

I've rarely found myself choosing API for vocals, bass, or guitars, though they have the reputation for doing wonderfully on all those sources.

All of that said, if I had to track a whole kit (or a whole record) to PT with only API pres, I think I could get the job done just fine.

I hope that long-winded answer has helped at least a little bit...

D.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I have the exact same set up and feel the same. After tracking drums, I never use the API again.

I use the Brent Averill Neve for Bass and the TG-2 for almost everything else. It has a creamy almost tape sound.

But to be perfectly honest, the API is no slacker.

I also have a gp2 pre with hardy 990s in it. Sometime you don't need vibe you just need fast and clear... as with overheads and room

but like you, after im done with drums i don't use it either...and the tg2 gets used for almost every over dub. except bass, organ and vocals...all 1073.

Percussion and upright basses love the tg2 with a ribbon, m160 and if its too quite i go with a 57.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

I don't have the 3124 but have 4 512c and the TG-2....

The TG get more usage than the API by a mile. I've tried the API on differnet sources and does well, but the TG (of course this is my humble opinion) did better, especially on guitars, Kick, SN and Vocals.

The API did amazing for toms, OH and Room mics, and did good job on Piano, didn't like it at all on Bass and Vocal, descent on Guitars, but a little bit harsh to my taste.

If it was up to me, I would rather have an Extra TG-2 (or Germanium) than more API.

Hope it helps...
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianex View Post
The API did amazing for toms, OH and Room mics, and did good job on Piano, didn't like it at all on Bass and Vocal, descent on Guitars, but a little bit harsh to my taste.

I
Just like to add something to this, i like the bass through a direct box into XLR 512 input....nice, sounds better than the DI of the 512.
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Addict

Looking at your original message...

You could go Chandler TG2, then, if you're not needing stereo pairs, go API Lunchbox with one API 512c, one Avedis MA5, and one Chandler Germanium 500. That would give you 4 different voices in 5 preamps.
Then you could add stereo for overs, piano, room - for what you like from the Lunchbox single preamps.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

I am also in the Chandler over API camp.

I have a pair of 312c's and a TG 2 and I choose the TG2 over the 512's...almost always. I will probably get shot for saying this but,

I think the 512 is kind of the U87 of the pre amp world. They sound good on just about anything, and if you can't make a pro sounding record with them its not their fault, yet I still think the TG-2 is just more magical.

XJ
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Just like to add something to this, i like the bass through a direct box into XLR 512 input....nice, sounds better than the DI of the 512.
With all due respect...

Your posts on API are kind of funny to me. To say that 3124 "did OK" against the 512 is just BS.
It's not about "mixed feelings" as you said.
It's just stupid to even care about trying to find a difference between both of them.
Move your mic half n inch and difference will be MUCH bigger.
Chandler not good enough???
Harsh on guitars???

Jesus dude, check your posts, are you kiddin????????????????????

Cheers,
Pupo
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarhus Lydstudie View Post
Yeah, I would start with the A2D too - the 002 is killing your sound! dfegad 002
I agree, but is the A2D way, way, way, way, way better?

But, if I'm going to upgrade my converters, I want at least 8 channels of AD... and it should be a unit that everyone on earth would agree is better than the 002 converters. Can this be done for under $2k?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you say "classic records", I'm assuming you mean API consoles..??

I think there may have been 1 or 2 from a TG desk. Not sure though. Maybe we should look here..
The History of the EMI TG 12345 Mixing Console, by TG Electronics

ps.. 100's of classic records were cut with Tele's too.. heh Sorry, I couldn't resist..
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross View Post
I agree, but is the A2D way, way, way, way, way better?

But, if I'm going to upgrade my converters, I want at least 8 channels of AD... and it should be a unit that everyone on earth would agree is better than the 002 converters. Can this be done for under $2k?

yes, way better.

apogee or lynx aurora will do the trick.
Old 30th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74 View Post
With all due respect...

Your posts on API are kind of funny to me. To say that 3124 "did OK" against the 512 is just BS.
It's not about "mixed feelings" as you said.
It's just stupid to even care about trying to find a difference between both of them.
Move your mic half n inch and difference will be MUCH bigger.
Chandler not good enough???
Harsh on guitars???

Jesus dude, check your posts, are you kiddin????????????????????

Cheers,
Pupo
Different strokes for different folks, i owned a 3124 and did many Cds with them recording drums, guitars, bass etc, i have the tracks here to prove that the 3124 did not sound as good as the 512c's i currently on, the difference is the api lunchbox transformers vs the transformer in the 19 inch rack, they are a difference in sound, others will tell you the same thing. The mids are a little harsher (to forward) on the 3124 vs the 512c, also the highs and lows are smoother on the 512 vs the 3124. If i thought the 3124 works best for me over my 512s then i would have kept it.
Plain and simple there is a difference, A Design is another that is slightly different, P-1 vs the Pacifica , a transformer issue.
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Different strokes for different folks, i owned a 3124 and did many Cds with them recording drums, guitars, bass etc, i have the tracks here to prove that the 3124 did not sound as good as the 512c's i currently on, the difference is the api lunchbox transformers vs the transformer in the 19 inch rack, they are a difference in sound, others will tell you the same thing. The mids are a little harsher (to forward) on the 3124 vs the 512c, also the highs and lows are smoother on the 512 vs the 3124. If i thought the 3124 works best for me over my 512s then i would have kept it.
Plain and simple there is a difference, A Design is another that is slightly different, P-1 vs the Pacifica , a transformer issue.
Hasn't someone just made this HUGE announcement saying they're selling all their 500 gear because it's been 'well noted' that racked gear sounds better?

AllAboutTone I'm not baggin' on you, nor am I baggin' on the guy selling all his 500 modules because it's all down to personal taste but fukk me if these conversations don't get boring.

Oh and Paul G? I totally understand where you're coming from. I don't agree with your conclusion but at least you've made a qualified decision based on your own experience with the gear being mentioned.

What can I contribute to this thread? Well I love 3124's and 512's. On everything. I went through a period of using 1073's alongside my API's but finally let that go when I found I liked my recordings just as much (if not more) when just using 3124/512's.

I've never tried the Chandler but only because I haven't felt the need to... yet. I would like to try it out on guitars etc. at some point but it just hasn't come up.

R.

Last edited by Ol' Betsey; 30th August 2008 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: I replaced b******* for baggin' (don't be needin' that language around here)
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the api 3124+ and it sounds like ****. Our Amek Rembrandt sounds much better on anything.
Paul G

API sounds like ****?
fuuckfuuckfuuckfuuckfuuck

Pupo

P.S.
I tried to place 111 ****DUDES but it didn't work...
So 95 more ****DUDES for you...
But as always

But 111 ****DUDES!
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
whatever.
And I forgot one ****DUDE!
fuuck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search