The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz Essence or Anamod AM660? 500 Series Dynamics
Old 5th August 2008
Buzz Essence or Anamod AM660?

I need 1 compressor mainly for Vocals, plus some Bass and Guitars.
Recommendations?
I have talked to some people and they say the Anamod is crap - don't touch it.
Anyone tried both?
Old 6th August 2008
I haven't tried the Anamod...but the Buzz is about as good as it gets. It doesn't have a ton of transformer color, just a hint, but the sound itself is very expansive and deep in terms of soundscape. The top and bottom frequencies are also very extended, and even under deep compression the sound doesn't collapse in the least. So if you are looking for a big sounding but natural comp that will compress without artifacts (other than the expected positive 'glue') it's a good choice. If you are looking for something crunchy, extremely colored, or aggressive it won't do that (although look at the Buzz Potion FET which will get you a lot more in that direction).
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Recommendations?
Anyone tried both?
Anamod is crap?

/Dave
Old 6th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
Anamod is crap?

/Dave
Yeah, who said that?
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure about .3% of the board has used the Anamod in a real environment (ie, not on a showroom floor where it's noisy).
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Recommendations?
Anyone tried both?
There are multiple people in Australia with the AM660?

Buzz vs. AM660> The Buzz is a 'clean' style compressor, while the AM660 is a color compressor. Do you want to drive a car or ride a motorcycle?

And like others, 'who' said the Anamod is 'crap'? 2 different posters on this board posted Very favorable reviews....and they have a real Fairchild and the ADL version ($30k+ units) to compare....
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

ummmm

ANGUSWOODHEAD

Sir, please be advised that Gearslutz is a great place because pro engineers and pro gear manufacturers actively peruse and respond to posts (Mr Farrant-Buzz Audio posts here and so does Mr. Amels-Anamod) in addition to average Joe's such as myself.

Mr. Amels is truly a talented individual and I would hardly call anything he has worked on as 'crap'.
Those are harsh and unnecessary words, especially since it is hearsay.

Good luck with your search and continue to ask questions, just don't load them. Seriously, if 'your people' say something is ' crap', why is it an option?, or is 'their' opinion not as influential as a total stranger's.
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCNinternational View Post
ANGUSWOODHEAD

Sir, please be advised that Gearslutz is a great place because pro engineers and pro gear manufacturers actively peruse and respond to posts (Mr Farrant-Buzz Audio posts here and so does Mr. Amels-Anamod) in addition to average Joe's such as myself.

Mr. Amels is truly a talented individual and I would hardly call anything he has worked on as 'crap'.
Those are harsh and unnecessary words, especially since it is hearsay.

Good luck with your search and continue to ask questions, just don't load them. Seriously, if 'your people' say something is ' crap', why is it an option?, or is 'their' opinion not as influential as a total stranger's.
I hear you dude - the person that said it was crap was from a retail outlet in the US (he is not 'my people') - I have no problem with my post - sorry you do.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and these should not be taken as the be all and end all.
Honestly I work on a statistical approach - the more people say something is better than something else the more likely I am going to believe that is the case.
Obviously only those who have used both devices are worthy of listening to.
If Gearslutz helps manufacturers to 'up their ante' then that is a good thing.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear you dude - the person that said it was crap was from a retail outlet in the US (he is not 'my people')
So, a 'Salesman'?

Huge conflict of interest there then....since NO ONE sells Anamod in the U.S. except for Anamod! Anamod only sells direct here, there are NO U.S. Anamod dealers.

It seems such a retail outlet (that sells 'gear'), has an interest in downplaying a product they will never be able to 'sell'.

If you give value to a salesman's opinion towards the 'believability' of such a statement, when such a conflict of interest is involved, well, I guess that is your prerogative .

Other than this or any other salesman's opinion (since none of them sell the Anamod), who else has said it is 'crap'??
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
So, a 'Salesman'?

Huge conflict of interest there then....since NO ONE sells Anamod in the U.S. except for Anamod! Anamod only sells direct here, there are NO U.S. Anamod dealers.

It seems such a retail outlet (that sells 'gear'), has an interest in downplaying a product they will never be able to 'sell'.

If you give value to such a salesman's opinion towards the 'believability' of such a statement, when such a conflict of interest is involved, well, I guess that is your choice.

Other than this or any other salesman's opinion (since none of them sell the Anamod), who else has said it is 'crap'??
Hence my reason for the thread - I want to hear from 'real' engineers that have used both devices to get a better perspective of the benefits or pitfalls of either device.
We are a bit in the dark over here in Oz - we do have Joe Malone and Gunter Wagner though.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well ok, but as mentioned, the Buzz and Anamod are 2 very different type of compressors....do you want 'clean'? ---then of course Buzz would be a top contender. Do you need color? Then Anamod would be a top contender....
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
the person that said it was crap was from a retail outlet in the US (he is not 'my people')

Don't believe that kind of slag until you hear it for yourself...Greg G makes great product. Greg (Pendulum) and Tim (Buzz) have very similar philosophies also, Tim just does his work with solid state circuits, and Greg does his with tubes (with Pendulum specifically).
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Nut

No problem here with your posting such a question. In fact I am interested in the responses too.
I just read your post for what it says and suggested you not load the question. You did notice that you got Mr. Amels attention with that cockeyed statement (3rd post).

MY TRANSLATION IS
#1 or #2
for these reasons
recommendation?
Loaded opinion of Anamod based on salesman from US who doesn't sell product - "don't touch it."
Which one?

Either way. Good luck!
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

i havn't heard the anamod but i myself am going to steer well clear....i just don't like the philosophy of some magical digital chips that supposedly sound just like a classic valve, multi-transformered beast that has been packaged with a sexy little vu metre and familiar knobs to get everyone drooling......i think it actually cheapens the 500 format.....i don't think this is a step forward - sort of like a plug-in for your lunchbox.....i don't like it at all.....as i said it is the philosophy i hate - havn't heard it but i am not interested.

the buzz on the other hand - well i a used a soc and it is lovely - smooth and pretty clean - fantastic on upright bass, vox, kick....i imagine the essence would be very similar.....you can't go wrong!

rog
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
i havn't heard the anamod but i myself am going to steer well clear....i just don't like the philosophy of some magical digital chips that supposedly sound just like a classic valve, multi-transformered beast that has been packaged with a sexy little vu metre and familiar knobs to get everyone drooling......i think it actually cheapens the 500 format.....i don't think this is a step forward - sort of like a plug-in for your lunchbox.....i don't like it at all.....as i said it is the philosophy i hate - havn't heard it but i am not interested.
Uhm, then you should inform yourself a little better then....Anamod products are 100% analog, no digital chips in them at ALL.

Do you like Distressors? Fatso?

You also might want to read some of the posts by owners of the real Fairchild and the ADL ($30k+ units) that use the AM660 right along side them.

Some people just don't like ideas.

thankyoukindly.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Ignorance!

Wow... This thread is full of ignorance!

Please people, if you don't KNOW, don't open your mouths.

1. Know what you are talking about - The Anamod is an analog design.

2. Know what you are talking about - Anamod is only sold by Anamod, so take ANY sales-person as a severely biased point-of-view.

3. Know what you are talking about - If YOU don't know, then don't post it here and perpetuate crap!

If you want Gearslutz to be any more than entertainment, please don't contribute to the problem.

-andrews
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Uhm, then you should inform yourself a little better then....Anamod products are 100% analog, no digital chips in them at ALL.

Do you like Distressors? Fatso?

You also might want to read some of the posts by owners of the real Fairchild and the ADL ($30k+ units) that use the AM660 right along side them.

Some people just don't like ideas.

thankyoukindly.
I used our Fairchild 670 along with the AnaMod 660 all this week. I can tell you that I really like the 660. I have only had time to try it on vocals, which is the use I bought it for. I have had no issues with noise. Our two time Grammy Award winning mastering engineer gave us high marks on the mixes yesterday and cetainly would have been critical of the vocals had they not been great. I have had less than stellar results with Buzz gear and have never used the compressor so I'm not qualified to compare them. My feeling is that they are completely different animals.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddfar View Post
I used our Fairchild 670 along with the AnaMod 660 all this week. I can tell you that I really like the 660. I have only had time to try it on vocals, which is the use I bought it for. I have had no issues with noise. Our two time Grammy Award winning mastering engineer gave us high marks on the mixes yesterday and cetainly would have been critical of the vocals had they not been great. I have had less than stellar results with Buzz gear and have never used the compressor so I'm not qualified to compare them. My feeling is that they are completely different animals.
Here we are. A real asset

Please tell us, I imagine you used the 660 on vocals while using the 670 across the buss, but did you have the time to try and A/B on the same source? If so, how close or different were the two?

Thanks.

-andrews
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Wow... This thread is full of ignorance!

Please people, if you don't KNOW, don't open your mouths.

1. Know what you are talking about - The Anamod is an analog design.

2. Know what you are talking about - Anamod is only sold by Anamod, so take ANY sales-person as a severely biased point-of-view.

3. Know what you are talking about - If YOU don't know, then don't post it here and perpetuate crap!

If you want Gearslutz to be any more than entertainment, please don't contribute to the problem.

-andrews
here we are...a real ass...

don't have a cry about my mis-information.....ok so it isn't digital....i stand by the rest of the bollocks i spouted though.......and it's my right to do so......can i only say positive things about the anamod and the philosophy of it's design? it's the IDEA i hate....
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
here we are...a real ass...

don't have a cry about my mis-information.....ok so it isn't digital....i stand by the rest of the bollocks i spouted though.......and it's my right to do so......can i only say positive things about the anamod and the philosophy of it's design? it's the IDEA i hate....
Well, at first the idea you hated was that it was a 'digital chip' thingy.

Now that you know it is not digital, you hate some other 'idea' of it?

Do you hate Distressor's? Fatso's? Real Plate reverbs?

But like you say, it's your right to be mis-informed and to spew negatives about the design....even if you have no idea How it's designed And have never heard it, then post those thoughts here

Amazing.

Hopefully GS won't become a crapload of posts along these lines tutt....oh wait
Old 7th August 2008
Quote:
it's the IDEA i hate....

I think he's got a point flea. I buy most of my stuff based on the idea of it. I didnt even know the size or colour of my new car till it was delivered. The salesman told me the idea on the phone and I was sold.
Old 7th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundseeker View Post
I think he's got a point flea. I buy most of my stuff based on the idea of it. I didnt even know the colour of my new car till it was delivered. The salesman told me the idea on the phone and I was sold.
Gearslutz is to debate gear I give you that, but this is what I hate about the place.

We're here to debate/discuss gear that makes good sounding audio from our own perspectives.

So without having heard a sound one way or the other, why are people commenting at all?

Thats like someone telling me how much they like a vacation spot without ever having gone there. Would I put any weight in their opinion?

This is one of the more pointless threads I have seen around here. Sorry to add to this mess.
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I heard the unit at NAMM and loved it. It's high on my "to purchase" list.

There is a real problem with people drawing conclusions on the internet based on:
1) never having tried it
2) superficial conceptions/misconceptions

It often spreads false impressions, hurting:
1) people who may have otherwise loved the unit (and bought it)
2) manufacturers who did a great job on the unit
Old 7th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Here we are. A real asset

Please tell us, I imagine you used the 660 on vocals while using the 670 across the buss, but did you have the time to try and A/B on the same source? If so, how close or different were the two?

Thanks.

-andrews
I have a post on page 6 or 7 talking to that point. I think my next comparison might be the old API 525 that I love on bass during mixdown to the 660.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I'm no expert on compression, but I think the difficulty in comparing the 660 with the essance is that they are 2 completely different types of comp's. According the the anamod lit, the 660 is a vari-mu type (I've never had the pleasure of hearing a real fairchild ), while the essence is Optical.. The nature of the two types are distinct, regardless of brand or product. So a more general 1st question would be "which TYPE of compression is best for vox, bass, and guitar??" ANd personally I wouldn't mind hearing more opinions about that, and even there, some types are better IMO for tracking while others for mixing. I myself tend to find optical more useful for tracking vox and bass, FET lightly on tracking everything, then great for slamming as much as i like in the mix, especially on vox, guitar and sometimes bass, and vari mu(very limited experience) on the 2-bus. (sorry to generalize, just basing on my experience and gear).

I'm not trying to knock the original poster's question, just maybe trying to get more specific responses (stealing the thread??? tutt ok, maybe borrowing heh) Personally, I'd love to hear more about the anamod 660 (vari-mu) vs. the Komit (???), but since they're both so new i guess it will be tough.. And the essance vs. may an LA3A or langevin optical comp. (and while we're at it why not a Potion vs. Action!).. oh, that might have been covered before. back to the search button thumbsup
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by qubi View Post
I'm no expert on compression, but I think the difficulty in comparing the 660 with the essance is that they are 2 completely different types of comp's. According the the anamod lit, the 660 is a vari-mu type (I've never had the pleasure of hearing a real fairchild ), while the essence is Optical.. The nature of the two types are distinct, regardless of brand or product. So a more general 1st question would be "which TYPE of compression is best for vox, bass, and guitar??" ANd personally I wouldn't mind hearing more opinions about that, and even there, some types are better IMO for tracking while others for mixing. I myself tend to find optical more useful for tracking vox and bass, FET lightly on tracking everything, then great for slamming as much as i like in the mix, especially on vox, guitar and sometimes bass, and vari mu(very limited experience) on the 2-bus. (sorry to generalize, just basing on my experience and gear).

I'm not trying to knock the original poster's question, just maybe trying to get more specific responses (stealing the thread??? tutt ok, maybe borrowing heh) Personally, I'd love to hear more about the anamod 660 (vari-mu) vs. the Komit (???), but since they're both so new i guess it will be tough.. And the essance vs. may an LA3A or langevin optical comp. (and while we're at it why not a Potion vs. Action!).. oh, that might have been covered before. back to the search button thumbsup
Great post dude. These are the sort of things I want to hear.
I have a limited budget and can only afford one comp (at the moment) so I want to get the one that is the best for my needs.
I guess if I had the dough I would buy an 1176 - but I want a 500 series comp so I can keep filling up my 10 slot API rack.

Mainly Vocals with some Bass, Acc Gtr, Elec Gtr etc.
I do get a laugh out of the arguments but really there have only been a couple of 'good' replies to my question.
Thanks.
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mainly Vocals with some Bass, Acc Gtr, Elec Gtr etc.
I do get a laugh out of the arguments but really there have only been a couple of 'good' replies to my question.
Thanks.
It might help if you:

1. List the compressors you already have?
2. Answer whether you want a color compressor or a clean one?
3. State what You want the compressor to do? i.e., be unobtrusive? Get in the way and be noticeable? Etc., etc.
4. Budget?

Then maybe you might get some 'better' replies to your Very generalized question.

As others have mentioned, the buzz and Anamod are 2 very different type and style of compressors that will give very different type of results, they really shouldn't be compared to each other unless your into comparing say a car with a motorcycle...both will transport you to the same place.

Otherwise, there is always the good 'ol search button.

Also, I doubt the Anamod will be any cheaper than a 1176 down under....in fact, I would venture that the final cost will be a bit more. Maybe you should figure that out before even considering the AM660.
Old 8th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hmm... wondering if something by 2 of the most brilliant minds in audio is "crap"

"I do get a laugh out of the arguments but really there have only been a couple of 'good' replies to my question."

Even if you are only quoting someone else--
Maybe you could get some 'better' replies if you toned it down a bit and showed some respect for members of this community
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
i haven't heard the anamod but i myself am going to steer well clear....i just don't like the philosophy of some magical digital chips that supposedly sound just like a classic valve, multi-transformered beast that has been packaged with a sexy little vu metre and familiar knobs to get everyone drooling......i think it actually cheapens the 500 format.....i don't think this is a step forward - sort of like a plug-in for your lunchbox.....i don't like it at all.....as i said it is the philosophy i hate - haven't heard it but i am not interested.
Ooooooooh got ya.... you never actually heard the Anamod but it's obviously junk because of the design. Riiiiiight.

Or could it be that someone......

Quote:
the buzz on the other hand - well i a used a soc and it is lovely - smooth and pretty clean - fantastic on upright bass, vox, kick....i imagine the essence would be very similar.....you can't go wrong!

rog
... has a built in bias?

Me on the other hand, I have not used either so unlike some folks I am not going to base my decision on a design that I don't fully understand. I would hold judgement until I had them both in my hands and.... you know... LISTEN to them to see what works best for my needs.

To the OP, I have not heard either of these units but I don't think they are after the same thing. As others have said, if the AM660 is like a real Fairchild then it's a vibe and color unit. Tim's deisgn thinking is more clean so the Essence is probaly working in a different direction than the AM660.
Old 8th August 2008
Thanks Michael - appreciate your comments mate.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search