The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz Essence or Anamod AM660? 500 Series Dynamics
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
here we are...a real ass...

don't have a cry about my mis-information.....ok so it isn't digital....i stand by the rest of the bollocks i spouted though.......and it's my right to do so......can i only say positive things about the anamod and the philosophy of it's design? it's the IDEA i hate....
Huh? I'M the ass? (wow)

The ONLY point of my post was "Know what you are talking about." Clearly you do not.

Again... Huh? I'M the ass?

You're a joke... time to exit with what little dignity you... ok, never mind, just exit.

-andrews

P.S. Funny how I never previously quoted YOU, yet YOU took such offense? Hmm...
Old 8th August 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
Anamod is crap?

/Dave
another troll, go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
i havn't heard the anamod but i myself am going to steer well clear....i just don't like the philosophy of some magical digital chips that supposedly sound just like a classic valve, multi-transformered beast that has been packaged with a sexy little vu metre and familiar knobs to get everyone drooling......i think it actually cheapens the 500 format.....i don't think this is a step forward - sort of like a plug-in for your lunchbox.....i don't like it at all.....as i said it is the philosophy i hate - havn't heard it but i am not interested.

the buzz on the other hand - well i a used a soc and it is lovely - smooth and pretty clean - fantastic on upright bass, vox, kick....i imagine the essence would be very similar.....you can't go wrong!

rog
i spoke with Gregg about this and it is not digital.
all signal is maintained in the analog realm.
the AM660 is on my list, i do not believe Gregg would put something out that was not a great piece of gear!

i have the buzz essence comps and they re great, i love then and recommend to to anyone looking at compressors.
Old 8th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Thanks Michael - appreciate your comments mate.

No problem, hope it helps a little.

And do a little digging on the forum. Tim (the designer of the Buzz stuff) is a mod here and he is a really helpful guy. I think you can ask him about his design ideas and get a feel for his stuff.

Some people really dig his designs, he is not going for a remake of anything he is all about moving forward with new ideas. I have not tried anything but I hear great things about his stuff, especially his compressors. Might be worth checking out.
Old 8th August 2008
500 series nutjob

i have used his elixir and i own a pair of his essence comps, top quality and sound period!
i did not keep the elixir pre, but is was not because i did not want to, just low on cash, i do plan to add it to my rack at some point.
great gear!
Old 8th August 2008
Lives for gear

Heard and saw the Anamod units at Frankfurt and Amsterdam.
LOL reading about this being crap.
Spoke to Dave and to my opinion he is an open and friendly person.
A real super pro that knows excactly what he's talking about.
And I like the concept of messuaring before building.
This because it gives you all the info you need to make a device that comes close to the original.
These quys have done that and know the effect on the sound.
Haven's heard the Buzz yet but the 660 is realy great.

Greetz,

Paul
Old 9th August 2008
Well despite the US Salesmans comments that the Anamod 'is crap, don't touch it' I ordered one today.
That bit of colour will be sweet I think.
My Oz supplier also said I could return it if I don't like it.
Thanks for all you constructive (and critical heh) posters.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Nut

Thanks for letting us know which unit you decided to go with. Happy mixing. Please let us know what you think after you have had some time with it.
Old 5th October 2008
Used the Anamod on it's first session the other day - holy crap Batman - that thing rocks.
Lovely thick tone - and nice 'sounding' compression.
Very happy.
Old 24th March 2009
i wana try anamod with 583s on vocals. i will let you guys hear how chapell sounds with essence. will try it out next week in pro studios.
Old 24th March 2009
Of course the "can't we just all get along" Gearslutz answer is, buy both.

But, anyway, clearly being such different animals neither single one is going to be your one and only or anything, so it's not like picking one is going to not make the other still something you'd want at some point. So, unless you already have something similar to one of them, just pick one, be happy, and start saving for the other one.

Problem solved, or at least we can pretend it doesn't exist, which is all that's really important in the end. Avoid self-awareness, it's for losers.
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear
i've heard the Anamod right next to a beautiful pristine 670 (our own delcosmos'). when we did the comparison i had one - after the comparison i ordered another.

never heard the Buzz but i know they're well built and not meant to sound like a Fairchild. from what i gather they're on the 'fast, transparent' side of the fence, and great sounding as well. different animals all together.

but if what you're after is the thick, molasses dripping Fairchild type sound, the Anamod's got that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search