The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mayer X-10
Old 12th February 2005
Gear Addict

Mayer X-10

Have anyone experienced mixing on X-10. A friend of mine heard them on AES show in San Francisco and said they have the best bass response ever. and they sounded very equal on both low level and high.
But what I.am worried about is that they have this big horn and so far all big studio horn speakers that I have heard are very aggressive in mid high and high. So if someone could share with me some experience I would like to know
Old 12th February 2005
Lives for gear

I have only ever heard the X-10's at a mastering session with Nick Webb at Abbey Road and I really liked the sound of them. It was my first time at Abbey Road but in the middle of being somewhat in awe of the whole vibe-thing (you know all the 'Whoa, I'm actually HERE...'-stuff) I didn't think they were harsh.

Apparently they have some sort of built-in correction device so that the balance remains the same no matter how many people are in the studio. Nick told me that he was a bit sceptical about this when they auditioned speakers for the room, but that they eventually just thought the Mayer's sounded best of what they tried. How this would affect working with them in a mixing environment I have no idea.

This might be of little use to you as a point of reference, but the mixes I took in did not sound at all dissimilar to what I was used to hear on my Adam S3A's... A little bit more of everything but essentially the same kind of sound and balance.

Hope this is of any use to you at all.
Old 13th February 2005
Gear Addict

My experiance with Meyer Sound Studio Series monitors is with the HD-1s, and i am also familiar with their live arrays...( but thats a different world altogether)
the HD-1s are really blatant about the truth. they tell it like it is.. so to speak. i have heard this is true for both the Meyer Sound studio monitors (HD-1 and X-10).. but have not heard the X-10s.

...i am incidentally selling a pair of HD-1s i got as a payment. i have no need for them, even though i like their sound and have worked on that particular pair a bit. it was in another space and i like my current setup.

If you are interested in the HD-1s PM or email me. that is if you fancy something more like a near-mid field monitor, versus a mid-farfield (in-wall) monitor.

as i have not heard the X-10s i cannot directly vouch for their sound, but if the Studio series follows suit with there 3 live/venue series in consistency of sound, then i say the X-10 is a killer monitor as the HD-1 is
Old 13th February 2005
Gear Addict

Thank you guys for your information

That.s true this Mayer's relay speak the reality and lot of engineer rave about them when they record but some complain when they mix on them. Personally I would put them in catagory with smiley speakers like the top high end of smiley speakers.
Personally the speaker that I have liked so far are old school British, BBC, flat, natural kind of speakers. My speaker for last six years are Roger LS1 which I bought for 300$ back then.

Now I.am going to open new studio and want Big speakers in my controle room so Quadwould I.am sorry I.am looking for a bigger speaker but thank.s a lot for your offer. I have few speaker in mind. B&W, PMC, ATC, and Mayer I already heard B&W 802 and kind of liked everything about them expect the bottom end was not good enough. I.am goingbe in London after two weeks and there I.am going to check ATC50, PMC BB5,MB2 and B&W800 maby I can Check X-10 there as well.

The bottom line is I have a change to get X-10 for really good price but I want to sure that I.am going to buy the right thing. I know that the X-10 are probably most client friendly of all of them. But I need speakers that I can 100% count on. And so far I.am more flat reference kind of guy. But as most of you Gearslutz say you should check before you buy and that.s what I.am going to do.

And thank you Preben for telling me that it didn.t dound harsh I was most worryd about that
Old 13th February 2005
Gear Addict

the ATCs are Great worked on a pair of those about 4 months ago. Brilliant.
Old 14th February 2005
Gear Addict

Only heard good things about ATC. Looking forward to check them out
Old 14th February 2005
Gear Addict

Can someone tell me how low the ATC50 go in Hz. I cant find anything about it ???
Old 14th February 2005
Gear Addict

Here is the ATC homepage

enjoy
Old 15th February 2005
Gear Maniac

Expression College in Emeryville, CA has X-10s in surround sound setup in their Studer studio. Holy crap, they sound good! I don't find the sound very aggresive, but they are still very crisp. That's all I'm going to say. I'm very lucky to have access to them (in fact John Meyer designed the whole studio complex there).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search