The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best DI Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 4th August 2008
Best DI

I was thinking about buying the Portico 5016, I already have the 5032 and love the pre and eq. But I need one more pre and I also need a very good DI. But I'm not so experienced with DI inputs and I need to know if I should go for the 5016 or is there any other DI box comparable with the 5016s DI or maybe even better? Then I maybe could buy the duo pre instead and just a DI box. I was thinking about Radial ProDi or maybe or the Pro 48. Suggestions, ideas?
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

Depends on what you want to DI, but just for DI ing bass I would suggest you get a Countryman DT85 and run it through the Portico pre...

This also gives you the option of running the extra Hi Z output directly to the amp and thereby enabling you to hear both the DI and the amp (not to mentin the phase relationship between the two) AT THE TIME of recording... which I'm sure you see, means that you can record the amp simultaneously instead of having to reamp afterwards...

morten
Old 4th August 2008
Thanks for the reply I'm going to DI electric guitar and bass. And I'm going to record the amp with one mic and also record the clean signal and maybe run it through eg Guitar rig or similar and then chose the best sound. So my question still stands if the Portico DI is so much better than DI boxes eg Radial.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

And my advice still stands; the difference between running signal through a Countryman Di through the portico pre and DI through a portico is minimal. And the advantage you get from being able to split the signal out of the DI to record both clean signal and the miked amp (ie 1/4" jack to the amp and XLR to mic pre) is phasecoherency (if you pay attention to the mic distance) and latency free so you won't have to nudge the reamped track back.

morten
Old 4th August 2008
Ok thanks, I'll check right away if there is any European shop selling that one.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrocker View Post
Ok thanks, I'll check right away if there is any European shop selling that one.
KMR in the UK...
Countryman Type 85 DI - Countryman - KMR Audio UK
Old 4th August 2008
Lives for gear

Radial JDI
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Guru
Beware DI's

Hi, I am a big DI fan! I second the vote on the Countryman. HOWEVER....
Most of these DI's have a Hi Z input. The Countryman is the highest I have found at 11 Megohms. This is very beneficial, essential even, for passive pickups, both magnetic and especially piezo. That's all good news. The bad news is that the Amp output on nearly all DI's is simply wired parallel to the input socket. If you connect anything to this output it shunts the 11M down to whatever. In the case of a Valve amp that is reasonably OK. Be aware though, Tuners and FX pedals can load the weak passive signal, badly affecting the tone.
The old Boss DI has high input Z and a buffered output to drive pedals tuners etc. Very useful.
HOWEVER... when you pad the input with -20 or -40 the impedance drops dramatically and there goes your tone again. Many other DI's also change impedance badly when their pad is engaged.
I don't know if there is a perfect DI out there. The Countryman is certainly good and bulletproof. The green BSS is excellent. Neither have buffered outs. EMO do great simple passives. Radial get many compliments, I am inclined to buy one.
Still looking for the perfect DI. Perhaps the LittleLabs IBP is the answer but I would rather just pure DI.

Best Regards, Dan Fitzgerald

SoundSound - Homepage
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

I doubt there are many other threads about this.

Radials are great.
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Addict

I made some simmilar thread some time ago, have a look at this:
Best DI REDDI vs TAB 71 vs U5
Old 4th August 2008
Nice, a lot of answers, and yes I've been googling and checking around here on GS for two weeks now and didn't come up with anything good...
But thanks for all replies.

Does the countryman add any color to the sound?
All those sound awesome but I'm still sceptical. Should I go for
the Portico 5016 and get one more pre too? Or is the Portico Di not
good as Countryman?
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Obviously it depends what you're DI'ing but I would say you can't get better than the Radial JDI for the money.

If you have the budget (and especially if it's for bass) then A-Designs REDDI beats everything hands down.

The much loved Avalon U5 is a bit too hi-fi for my taste.

Each to their own...
Old 4th August 2008
Umm!

Quote:
I was thinking about buying the Portico 5016, I already have the 5032 and love the pre and eq. But I need one more pre and I also need a very good DI. But I'm not so experienced with DI inputs and I need to know if I should go for the 5016 or is there any other DI box comparable with the 5016s DI or maybe even better? Then I maybe could buy the duo pre instead and just a DI box. I was thinking about Radial ProDi or maybe or the Pro 48. Suggestions, ideas?
If you are re amping with a variety of sources and rigs the di that gets the most use here is the little labs phase tool, its a huge advantage.
heh
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuewi View Post
I made some simmilar thread some time ago, have a look at this:
Best DI REDDI vs TAB 71 vs U5
Those 3 are about as good as a DIs can get.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Can't believe it's not been mentioned, Check out the Millennia-Media TD-1 - You can't go wrong. Costs a fair bit, but you will NEVER have any complaints
Old 5th August 2008
I always argue to kill two birds with one stone. Lots of really nice pre-amps have hi-z inputs and sound great as DIs, and you get a really nice mic pre-amp in the deal. They'll be a little more in some cases, not not terribly so necessarily.

The UA Solo/610 is a good one and not overly expensive. If you are into the 500 format, the Great River and A-Designs P-1 are both really nice for DI, guitar or bass and are great pre's.
Old 5th August 2008
KNZ
Here for the gear

It should be mentioned that the 5016 has a thru out so you don't need to use another DI with the 5016 to run a signal out to an amp. I only have experience with the preamp side of the 5016 (5012) but for the $ it seems like a good deal. Countryman 85, JDI's and most other DIs I've used all work fine but they really come to life when you plug them into a nice pre.
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

The hidden gem IMO on bass DI is the Lachapell 583. The pre is amazingly musical and 3D and the DI has great warmth and low end. Perfect as a bass DI. Can dial in more or less growl with the input gain knob before the tube. mmmmmmmm

otherwise for just a DI get the REDDI and be done with it!
Old 5th August 2008
Ok finally we ordered a DI box, and the winner is Countryman 85.

One more question, is it possible to connect it to line in or do we have to use the mic input on the pre?
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok finally we ordered a DI box, and the winner is Countryman 85.

One more question, is it possible to connect it to line in or do we have to use the mic input on the pre?
You need the micpre to get enough gain.

If you're in the Stockholm area I'm sure Deluxe will help you out.: errrr... you already ordered. Sorry

morten

Last edited by starfighter; 5th August 2008 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Must remind oneself to read entire post
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Guru
DI Thoughts

You won't regret the Countryman. There are very good reasons why they have been around for decades. They are neutral, perhaps with a little punch added. Do remember not to shunt any passive instruments with a tuner or other fx pedals. An active instrument may deliver a very high level. Try the Line input. Quite a few line ins have 20-30 dB gain, which should be enough. Note some Compressors or other outboard units have considerable gain. e.g. the 1176LN has a 1Meg input with plenty of gain for a Bass or Guitar. In fact this unit has enough gain to record a Valve mic with no Pre. Don't tell anyone...........
DD
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Addict

DI is still a DI.
I don't know if these are "best in the business" but I have great luck with the Avalon U5 and a coule of Radial JDIs (the grean passive type).
Old 5th August 2008
Well let's see what happens, if it's not working I will get the Portico 5016 and I'll get another great pre also.

No well just put my Gibson lsp classic and standard through that, and maybe the Fender Jazz and P.
Old 5th August 2008
And if it works we got some cash over for some more tattoos
Old 6th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I have great luck with...Radial JDIs (the grean passive type).
I love these. Great DI to send to a pre.

cheers,
Ian
Old 25th September 2008
Gas cooker! Gas cooker! Gas cooker!

Ridge Farm Studio
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

The three best IMHO are the Evil Twin, The Juicebox & The Reddi.

Second to that are the Radial, Demeter, ADL, & Countryman...

Personally I use a custom Melcor box or Electrodyne (tube) 201A box... both were custom made, both beat out all the above (as I use to own most of the contenders). Hard to beat the big old transformers for their sound... tube don't hurt either!

I play Music Man basses and Chapman Stick so I need to hear and feel the low end (especially on a recording).
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

Little Labs for super clean and punchy
A Designs REDDI for warm amp like vibe
Radial JDI for amazing bang for the buck.
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

The best DI sound I've gotten that actually sounded like the bass coming out of the amp was a Mesa/Boogie combo amp with line out. Most of the time line outs sound blaaaah, but this one sounded EXACTLY like what was coming out of the amp. It was crazy.

Usually I use either a DI into a GR or a Radial JDI.
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

you can hear a massive shootout of most brands here:

basstasters.com || welcome

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search