The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Picture of CLA's Rack Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
The first rack has a pair of RCA compressors on top, I think they are 86c's, but can't recall the model number for sure.
Under that is an Altec 436c.
Then the sony boombox.
Followed by a pair of Pye compressors, and an old Altec on the bottom.

Second rack has already been listed.

Third rack:
Neve compressors in various varities
Neve 33609
Pair of Averill 1073's
Pair of Manley Pultecs
4 1176's, 2 Bluestripe, and 2 blackface with painted faces ( I think they were from Val Garay's (sp) studio)
4 LA-3a's

Rack 4:
Don't know about the top two pieces
2 distressors
2 daking comps
2 daking channelstrips
another sony boombox
Not sure about the black two space unit
2 DBX 163x's
Studio Technologies AN2
Alan Smart comp
2 DolBY A units
Hi Rob

From reading the CLA interviews available on the net, it would seem that he uses outboard gear on everthing in the mix. With all this gear, is there anything that sees the SSL's EQ and Dynamics?

thx
Jason
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Maniac

Chris does have the nastiest collection of outboard gear ever.

Speaking of nasty, CLA was mixing an album I recorded, and he confessed to the artist that he absolutely loves free band schwag. So the next day the artist brought down a bunch of shirts for CLA and his assistants and right there in the room before my very own eyes I saw CLA's hairy rack. It's obviously the secret to his sound. Its strange that nobody has ever discussed this before. TLA obviously believes in a more "clean shaven" sound, but CLA lets it ride. No wonder his tracks sound edgier...
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

I really dislike the way CLA's stuff sounds, personally.
*ducks and runs*
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Hi Rob

From reading the CLA interviews available on the net, it would seem that he uses outboard gear on everthing in the mix. With all this gear, is there anything that sees the SSL's EQ and Dynamics?

thx
Jason
Uhh, almost everything. Outboard plus the console on many if not most tracks.
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
I really dislike the way CLA's stuff sounds, personally.
*ducks and runs*
Well at 2 mixes a day for the last who-knows-how-many years it would be doubtful anyone has heard his entire output. There have been many threads about people's favorite CLA and TLA mixes.
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Hmmm.... I think that the threshold needs to be about half a dB lower, don't you? Yeh, I think so. Hit the Vintage King speed dial number there, would you?
How about sending a little bit less signal to the compressor?

Actually i think this is a very smart approach. I used to think people who use this frozen hard preset on their outboard were just lazy. As soon as I start getting more and more outboard, and more and more work to do, I ended up using this technique with a lot of my outboard. The thing is that most units, after explored, will tend to the same settings. For example my La 2a is almost always set to 30 30. I found that is where I like it best. The amount of compression itself can be controlled in your daws send level. This way you dont need to write down all your outboard settings every time you change song or band. And I dont have 1/10th of the gear CLA has. Imagine the waste of time it would be to change all those settings everytime. And trying to recall them a week later if needed. This way, it works pretty much as a preset.

I can see his point. If you really like more than one completely different setting on a piece of gear (not just a threshold setting, attack, release, ratios...) getting another one will avoid the settings to be constantly changed. Maybe its even cheaper than the time wasted everyday changing settings!
Í guess the distressors should be the exception to this rule ( at least mines) as I think their mission on earth is pretty much related to their huge versatile possibilities.
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
He forgot to put up the Waves SSL Bundle box on his console
heh +1
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
Uhh, almost everything. Outboard plus the console on many if not most tracks.
Being someone who's never mixed on an SSL, what is it that the outboard provides to his mixes that the SSL channelstrip doesn't and vice verse? What I'm trying to ask is there a specific role that the outboard and SSL channelstrip play?
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

The character and quality of compression, and EQ, essentially.
Old 2nd May 2009
Umm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Hmmm.... I think that the threshold needs to be about half a dB lower, don't you? Yeh, I think so. Hit the Vintage King speed dial number there, would you?
That little problem would be dealt with by simply setting up a volume trimmer in a plug-in insert enchained before the insert sending to outboard, at least thats how I work, I am
far too into total recall to do anything else. Buy loads of outboard and loads of a to d.
If you keep twisting pots other than Alps, Davens and Dact they all wear out, computer keyboards are far far cheeper to replace.
Old 3rd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Being someone who's never mixed on an SSL, what is it that the outboard provides to his mixes that the SSL channelstrip doesn't and vice verse? What I'm trying to ask is there a specific role that the outboard and SSL channelstrip play?
I have never worked with CLA, but mixed plenty of albums with SSLs and outboard. Its really a matter of color and character, and also certain pieces of outboard really accel at certain applications. That said, Andy Wallace is known for using very little outboard and he has sure made some amazing sounding albums.
Old 4th May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
Lusting after CLA's rack is rather silly, you guys are drooling like "If only I could get my hands on that stuff" Truth is even if you did, most of you will sound the same as you do now, maybe worse.
Are you kidding me? If that gear were mine, I could make my record sound exactly like a CLA record. And I know how I'd do it, too. I'd sell it all, and hire Chris Lord-Alge to mix it for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search