The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Mic Like a C12??? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I would imagine the C700 being more neutral than the C12 ?
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The question is which C12. There are many different versions.
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Addict

A Korby with a C12 capsule sounds GREAT!

Also you should try A/Bing a C12 and a 414 w/ tube pre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesp04 View Post
hello fellow sluts,

i had the privilege of my first recording session this past week in a top-notch studio in

LA.

before we recorded some tracks i'm working on for publishing purposes,

we did a quick vocal shootout on original Telefunken 251, original AKG C12, and

a Sony C800g. We chose the C12 as the winner over the Sony as it had a little more

air, although it was not a significant difference. I had never recorded my own voice

previous to that and now am ready to see which mic I can get that sounds closest to

the C12 so I can move forward. Any suggestions would be great my budget is

anything under 2000 (usd). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 4th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knerd View Post
A Korby with a C12 capsule sounds GREAT!

Also you should try A/Bing a C12 and a 414 w/ tube pre...

I have 2 Korby CM3 microphones with original AKG CK12 capsules.

Amazing mics.

The mic has a 5703 tube with a vintage Reichenbach transformer. It has a flat circuit and lots of low end.

Old 4th December 2010
Gear Nut

you could try a gefell cmv563 with a blue b6 head. in my opinion that sound goes in that direction.
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

So the new AKG C12 VR wouldnt be a contender for the closest replacement for the original sound ? As fletcher mentioned earlier there were 8 version of the original , so how would we know which version it was reissued from . Also it states on the AKG website as being an identical reproduction , so why are people not liking the sound ? Thanks
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just found the other thread explaining why people are not happy with the AKG reissue , different capsule
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Just found the other thread explaining why people are not happy with the AKG reissue , different capsule
And virtually everything else.....
Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I agree - but I think FLEA get as close to the original as is possible.

I certainly don't know anyone elso who would spend four years studying a capsule to duplicate it accurately.

And the C12 capsule is about the most complicated of them all - I have seen one in bits.

thumbsup FLEA is now offering the CT12 by Tim Campbell. thumbsup

Nice!!!

Old 6th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
yup, utterly false advertising.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbock View Post
Dear Fox Audio,
You claim an innovation on your website which is untrue:
Fox Audio Research Home
This amplifier was used in commercial production in the Soundelux U95 microphone starting in 1995, which I designed. I wish I could take credit as an innovator, but as it turns out with most things vacuum tube, there is nothing new under the sun, and that circuit had been used in the late 1930's by an obscure German mfg. I'm sorry I don't remember where I saw it so I can't refer you to the original documentation, but it would serve you well to be honest and update your website with the correct information.
regards,
David Bock
Bock Audio
www.bockaudio.com
Dear David

I was confused. A guy said he designed U95 in 1995 in Beijing. He is designing a new BOCK mic in Beijing now.

Who is real designer?

Best,

Gary Z
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
hi fletcher,
i think i remember your saying that you thought the t'funk c12 was pretty close to a good c12. i purchased a t'funk 251 awhile back and next to friend's vintage 251 we were all impressed. though i haven't compared these, my friend went on to purchase a t'funk u48 which i think he's very happy with and he does have very nice original 47 and 48 to compare with.

anyone done an A/B with T'Funk and a nice C12?

fwiw i have a nice original C24 i'd like to trade for an original C12 and maybe some cash if anyone's interested. cheers and happy new year to GSers around the world.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
Anyone has experience with Ben's C12b capsule into his Phelicity mic??
I know it's prolly just based around it (not a tribute), but how close is this mic's sound to the original C12 design?

Thanks,
Anyone using this mic care to comment, please??

Cheers
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone using this mic care to comment, please??

Cheers
It's not a C12, but I like it.

Lots of detail, there's a bump in the high end but it's not one that hurts (so in that sense it's taken C12's impressive traits).
A nice contrast to the U47 I use.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
It's not a C12, but I like it.

Lots of detail, there's a bump in the high end but it's not one that hurts (so in that sense it's taken C12's impressive traits).
A nice contrast to the U47 I use.
Thanks heaps.

Do you found it appropiate for pop-r'n'b-modern jazz type of voices?? Sounds like it would do well.

Cheers
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_fromAustria View Post
you could try a gefell cmv563 with a blue b6 head. in my opinion that sound goes in that direction.
Blue B6 head is with KK67 capsule. Someone said B0 head closed to old style of C12 and B8 head closed to new style of C12
Old 31st December 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
hi fletcher,
i think i remember your saying that you thought the t'funk c12 was pretty close to a good c12. i purchased a t'funk 251 awhile back and next to friend's vintage 251 we were all impressed. though i haven't compared these, my friend went on to purchase a t'funk u48 which i think he's very happy with and he does have very nice original 47 and 48 to compare with.

anyone done an A/B with T'Funk and a nice C12?

fwiw i have a nice original C24 i'd like to trade for an original C12 and maybe some cash if anyone's interested. cheers and happy new year to GSers around the world.
I don't know of any documentation of a "side by each" test with an original C-12 and a T-funk "Diamond Series" reissue -- but if you land on one please feel free to give a shout and I can arrange to have one sent to you for you do to a comparison... I think we've known each other long enough [what is it - like 15 years now or something?] where I would not only appreciate hearing your assessment - but could certainly trust you to be brutally honest about what you're hearing.

Lemme nough.

Peace.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I don't know of any documentation of a "side by each" test with an original C-12 and a T-funk "Diamond Series" reissue -- but if you land on one please feel free to give a shout and I can arrange to have one sent to you for you do to a comparison... I think we've known each other long enough [what is it - like 15 years now or something?] where I would not only appreciate hearing your assessment - but could certainly trust you to be brutally honest about what you're hearing.
thank you Fletcher. my friend Armando does have a very nice C12 but since we're in Mexico the customs deal involved to get them together would truly be a pita. i was hoping you had done an A/B yourself... :( judging from what i've heard with the 251E though i wouldn't be at all surprised if the T'Funk C12 were a very worthy microphone.

may this new year bring you health, happiness and prosperity bro.
Old 31st December 2010
member no 666

To you as well my friend - yes, I've heard them but in this case I don't think my opinion means ****... perhaps we can sort out a "carnet" so its under bond while you check it out and can roll pretty much "duty free". I'm sure I'll see you in a couple weeks, we can talk about it then...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
To you as well my friend - yes, I've heard them but in this case I don't think my opinion means ****... perhaps we can sort out a "carnet" so its under bond while you check it out and can roll pretty much "duty free". I'm sure I'll see you in a couple weeks, we can talk about it then...
ok sir, sounds good. til then take good care and have a great new year.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks heaps.

Do you found it appropiate for pop-r'n'b-modern jazz type of voices?? Sounds like it would do well.

Cheers
Yeah, definitely.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Z View Post
Dear David

I was confused. A guy said he designed U95 in 1995 in Beijing. He is designing a new BOCK mic in Beijing now.

Who is real designer?

Best,

Gary Z
Now this is really interesting!!!
Old 31st December 2010
I hope David chimes in here. David Bock has no need for someone in China to design any microphone for him. Drawings of an existing microphone are meaningless. I could provide this forum with technical drawing of a U47 but I had nothing to do with designing it. Also if I were to believe everything a chinese vendor, or any vendor for that matter, told me I'd be convinced that a 99 dollar microphone was the equal of any european classic. I remember Jakob Erland and I being shown designs for a new preamp by 797 Audio. They were drawings from Jakob's (Gyraf Audio) own website with jakob's name still on them.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Just to clarify, I meant interesting because of a counterfeiter, not because I assume mr Bock does not design the mics himself!

Tim, wonderful to have you here! I always wanted to ask you which type of ck12 capsule yours are - I remember from a Stephen Paul article that there were versions with more and less "chamber depth" if I recall the term correctly. One type with the most depth he described as having the famous high boost that made the vintage c12 famous. I personally own a C12vr with a vintage brassring ck12, and while it sounds great I doubt it is one with the extreme hf lift.

Best,
Flo
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
What else having a sonic impact other than the capsule different between a C12 and a C12VR ?
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

I got all pictures from internet.

Mr. MIC629 pasted drawings on Chinese forums. He said he designed U95, U97, U195, 251 and PTM.

The factory manufactures many U95 copies with thin and harsh capsule for China market.

He ‘invented’ new ‘theory’: JFET and tube phase theory. He said Gate, Source and Drain have same phase for JFET.

He is using his new ‘theory’ to design stereo mic for David Bock.

He said he also designed NT2 mic for RODE.

The factory manufactures many NT2 copies with thin and harsh capsule for China market. Some people found NT2S mic is with Behringer PCB, he said he designed.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
I hope David chimes in here. David Bock has no need for someone in China to design any microphone for him. Drawings of an existing microphone are meaningless. I could provide this forum with technical drawing of a U47 but I had nothing to do with designing it. Also if I were to believe everything a chinese vendor, or any vendor for that matter, told me I'd be convinced that a 99 dollar microphone was the equal of any european classic. I remember Jakob Erland and I being shown designs for a new preamp by 797 Audio. They were drawings from Jakob's (Gyraf Audio) own website with jakob's name still on them.
Has anyone seen stereo mic drawing before?

Mr. MIC629 said he is designing.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Akg 414eb

I own a pair of AKG 414EB silvers with theoriginal CK-12 capsules. They were nicely cleaned up by Tracy Korby. I've used C-12s a lot and these have 80% of that warm & sparkly sound. Excellent vocal mic, especially in the omni mode. I'm keeping them as they're still my go-to vocal mic.
Old 1st January 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Z View Post
Mr. MIC629 pasted drawings on Chinese forums. He said he designed U95, U97, U195, 251 and PTM.
He could say he's "Mary Queen of Scots"... but that don't make it so.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrasound View Post
I own a pair of AKG 414EB silvers with theoriginal CK-12 capsules. They were nicely cleaned up by Tracy Korby. I've used C-12s a lot and these have 80% of that warm & sparkly sound. Excellent vocal mic, especially in the omni mode. I'm keeping them as they're still my go-to vocal mic.

I put one of Tim Campbell's CT12 in a C414EB to replace the Nylon capsule. The sound was much better than the Nylon and very close to another 414EB that I had in the shop that had a brass CK 12.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search