The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API pres 500 Series Preamps
Old 10th February 2005
Gear Maniac

API pres

I'm comparing the different API preamp models and can't get them side by side. I use the 512c but want more channels and am curious if the 312+ or the 212 have the same sound. Also looking at BAE 312.

Anyone have a side by side comparison?
Old 10th February 2005
Lives for gear

I've used the 500 series and 200 series and the OSA pres....which are 500 compatible and sound very API-ish.
They're all good. For multiple channels for a little less money, I'd definitely look at the OSA pres. You can get a few more flavors if you wish than just being stuck with the 512. Not that that's a bad thing to get "stuck" with, but you know what I mean.
later,
m

Call or email Nathan at atlasproaudio for a full description of all. Check out the website, he gives great descriptions as well that pretty much nail the ones that I've heard.
Old 10th February 2005
Hey Chet

At some point in my life (after I pay these damn taxes) I am looking into a OSA rack and some MP1-C pres.

You have some API 512's and MP1-C's in the same rack?? How does the OSA MP1-C compare. I have heard they are pretty good just wanted to hear it form someone who has and / or has used both.

Nathan seems to think they are pretty close but who believes him??

JOKING!!!

Nathan rocks!!!

Thanks man.
Old 10th February 2005
Gear Maniac

Have looked at Nathan's site. Just curious if anyone has ABed them side by side. They're all great but I know the 512c and want to know how the others compare. Anyone using the BAE 312?
Old 11th February 2005
I have owned and used all 3 "real" API products mentioned.

I prefer the 312s and use BA for the racking.
And the 512s are my least fav.

However, your luck to use any, they are all great.
I am sure the knock-offs are pretty keen too.

D
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

I use the BA 312's.........LOVE 'EM!

I've heard the OSA version at a friends studio and they sound pretty close to the BA's! I still prefer the BA's! Looking at the BA 1272 now!
Old 11th February 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys. Gives me something to chew on before i purchase. I have heard great things about the BA gear but never had a chance to hear it in person.
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

Have any of you heard the Tonelux pre yet?
Old 11th February 2005
The OSA C model is the one that's closest to the API. I have the older Brent A's, and the OSA and BA sound very similar in the lows and mids both in coloration and frequency 'curve'. The one distinguishing feature in a blind comparison is that the OSA has tighter, clearer highs. The Brent's (which are all original vintage API) make things sound more 'back' and subdued where the OSA's sound a little more punchy and present to my ears, a little more like reality. The other three OSA's don't sound much like an API at all (maybe 50%), but that's the point, they aren't supposed to.
Old 11th February 2005
TML
Lives for gear

I have 4 312's...they rock on drums, bass and vocals...kinda take some of the annoying top of things so they cut through .......sound good to digital...as compared to 1073's, Avalon 737, Tube Tech MP1a and my Dakings......their 4in1 box....???...is a great buy....my 2 cents
Tim
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 8thnote
Thanks guys. Gives me something to chew on before i purchase. I have heard great things about the BA gear but never had a chance to hear it in person.
I believe they have a decent return policy. Might want to check 'em out. I own several units that they sell and have been VERY happy with them...

ERic
Old 11th February 2005
Gear Nut

Another vote for the OSA
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

Out of my three OSA pres, I've got two of the "A"'s and one "C". I agree with Nathan, the C is really close to an API. I've compared stuff I've recorded at home and then overdubbed vox at a friends studio....
www.maximedia.us (see their API room....in addition to Neve and SSL room....drool.....)
...it fits right in with the real deal. What Nathan said about the others not trying to be API copies, but their own thing. I think my other "A" pres have some characteristics that I would say are API-ish. I mean, I'd put them in that camp over say a clinical sounding, very clean pre. Not to say they couldn't handle acoustic or jazz settings. I'm fumbling for words here....they aren't going to impart a character like a Peavey VMP or Ampex pre would, but they aren't a pristine Cranesong or Millenia either. Did I use a good "pristine" example? Sorry, I don't really go for those sort of pres...haha.
Anyway, you can't go wrong with any of the OSA stuff. I CAN'T WAIT for their compressors to hit.
I hear they're newwer Lundhal tranny stuff is amazing.
later,
m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search