The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???
Old 6th February 2006
Gear Head

I just bought 2 CL-1B's for S$800 at a big studio clos down auction. Perfect working condition.

That's US$491 for you.

Best money I have ever spent in my life!
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

that's an incredible deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbackside
I just bought 2 CL-1B's for S$800 at a big studio clos down auction. Perfect working condition.

That's US$491 for you.

Best money I have ever spent in my life!
Old 6th February 2006
Gear Head

Yeah, some other great deals were:

Neve 48-channel console - US$5530
Sony 3348 - US$600/each
Studer 2" - US$300
Yamaha C7 (really nice one) - US$4300

And many many more. The good ol' way that music is produced is dying, sigh...
Old 6th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, some other great deals were:

Neve 48-channel console - US$5530
Sony 3348 - US$600/each
Studer 2" - US$300
Yamaha C7 (really nice one) - US$4300

And many many more. The good ol' way that music is produced is dying, sigh...
First I want to say.... You should start playing the lottery although you may have just used up all your luck. Second I just want to say: Your a bastard Third: You may notice that I am a tad bit jelous. Congrats on the great score. And the really great compressors.

Michael "Green with envy" Greene
Old 6th February 2006
Gear Head

With those buys, I'm definitely a bastard!
Old 6th February 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenbackside
With those buys, I'm definitely a bastard!

agreed.

especially here on gearslutz
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I have 2 CL-1As. Someone said something regarding one being hand wired. I thought they simply put the tubes on the inside on the 'B' to protect them, as opposed to the 'A''s tubes being on the outside. (I learn something every day). I thought they were both hand wired.

People on internet

...let see what google says:

That's what i thought.... it's Not just tubes on the inside ...
Attached Thumbnails
Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???-tubetech_cl1b_bak.jpg   Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???-tubetech_cl1b_bak2.jpg  
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

About time to bring the dead alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru View Post
"What is the difference between CL 1A and CL 1B?"

The circuit and functions are exactly the same. The amplifier section in the CL 1A is hardwired. In the CL 1B the transformers and the tubes were brought into the unit and placed on a printed circuit board. The control circuit is on a PCB in both units.

It looks like the traffos are totally different, Caps are Mallory and it's Point-to-point to me in the "A" version.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???-tubetech_cl1b_.jpg   Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???-20180206_162626.jpg   Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???-20180206_162741.jpg   Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???-20180206_162735.jpg   Tube-Tech CL-1B + CL-1A differences???-20180206_162558.jpg  

Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekkstudio View Post
Justin, id say that the CL1A is worth more than the current CL1B on the A model you have the chance to swap tubes faster, if your into more flavours. 1800$ sounds like a good deal.

Eirik
You are not gonna like it: Tube-Tech CL 1A Compressor Pair | WSS | Reverb

Old 7th February 2018
Gear Head

haha dude why are you replying to a 12 year old post? not sure if these guys care anymore, appears to be from the era in gs when more pros were participating, or at least seems to be. in any case since this has been ressurected, i’ve been looking at getting one of these cl1b & wanted to know for those experienced with it if they would consider this a versatile unit. i.e. other than vocal duties, any opinions on cl1b on guitars, keys, percussion drums etc?
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by efernando View Post
haha dude why are you replying to a 12 year old post? not sure if these guys care anymore, appears to be from the era in gs when more pros were participating, or at least seems to be. in any case since this has been ressurected, i’ve been looking at getting one of these cl1b & wanted to know for those experienced with it if they would consider this a versatile unit. i.e. other than vocal duties, any opinions on cl1b on guitars, keys, percussion drums etc?
I think you landed here of the same reason as i did...

And by the way you just answered your own question

P.S. I feel like a medic rescuing the digits around the www that are worth to be saved.
Old 10th February 2018
Quote:
I’ve used a CL1A for a few years now. Sounds fantastic on just about anything. I’d consider it versatile for an optical compressor. You not going to get smashed drums, but you can get bouncy with it. Between manual mode, fixed (10:1 fixed is amazing), and the dual release fixed/man mode it has a few envelopes to choose from.
Old 25th June 2019
Quote:
BUMP. not sure if you’re still in the market as it’s 18 months later, but I have been using a CL1A for 15 years and track most everything through it. I too have an 1176 which gets tracking work too, but the CL1A is a magic box for sure. Set the output to +10 and the presence will be in your face

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search