The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Event Opal Monitors - not your regular speakers
Old 9th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP_DE View Post
Nice thread over awesome speakers.
At least one of my two opals must be opened. That's why I searched the internet and finally ended up back here. :-)
For one thing I have a hum. However, no usual 50 Hz hum, but a much higher one, which also changes a bit and finally after maybe 5 seconds (is now out of memory, my brain must not be right) it repeats. But only if I connected the audio interface with unbalanced cable. With balanced cable this strange hum is not there. This affects just one speaker.

And at a certain quite low frequency there was also an untypical noise. That's why I looked for a manual or even better some videos that show how to open the speaker correctly. And what to pay attention to.
I will have to deal with that next weekend.

@ EOG - bin ebenfalls aus D. Aus welcher Gegend kommst Du?
Yes, amazing monitors. Quite a colorful existence based on the length and content of this thread. I got the first series. So far, no issues.

I think your unbalanced lines may be picking up emf in the air. How long are they? Have you tried standing in the area with an electric guitar with a single pole pickup? I have several areas in my space where single pole pickups have noise problems.

If you have your monitors backed up to a wall, you may have wiring in the wall that's radiating.

There were reports of a chuffing noise that was found to be a loose ribbon cable inside the Opal case. At a certain frequency range the ribbon cable woud vibrate. Securing the cable got rid of the noise.

Cheers!
Old 10th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2942
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

I agree with Ty; the place to look for the cause of the higher-pitched noise is not inside the Opal cabinet.

As for the LF one, Ty's explanation covers the only issue I've seen in that area.
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2943
Lives for gear
 
Chevron's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSlut View Post
They are still available on Thomann. Kinda makes me wonder if Rode only manufactures a small batch just for Thomann exclusively. Or they are just phasing out stock, but how much stock they got left lol. They keep re-stocking it.
I saw these on Thomann the other day. Damn I am tempted, I bought other monitors a few years back when I was in the market but always thought of getting these one day.

Can someone kindly summarise the differences in Opal versions over the years?
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2944
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Sound-wise they're all the same, Matty.

There was a material-supply issue not long after and caused by the Japanese tsunami that resulted in the tweeter's composition's being changed.

AFAIK 'though the units you buy today will be for all intents and purposes "identical" to those upon release.
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2945
Lives for gear
 
Chevron's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Sound-wise they're all the same, Matty.

There was a material-supply issue not long after and caused by the Japanese tsunami that resulted in the tweeter's composition's being changed.

AFAIK 'though the units you buy today will be for all intents and purposes "identical" to those upon release.
Thanks for the info. It's a testament to the original design that the Opals are still being discussed. Do you have a pair?

I remember them being hella loud! But also very robust sounding, like they wouldn't choke when playing tracks with large amounts of bass loud.

They work out at 3.6k Euro currently at Thomann
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2946
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

I sure do, mate. Most-expensive music gear I've ever owned and spent many years saving for them the minute they hit the market.

That feeling you get that they won't choke is likely 'cause of the massive headroom. The woofers are 1000w peak IIRC and you can sense the headroom via the awesome handling and reproduction of transients IMHO.

The most-fun monitors I've ever heard or had. Accurate, non-fatiguing and yet exciting / warm / American-sounding at the same time.
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2947
Everything the Monkey said......except power according to the spec sheet.

Now this must be a later iteration of the spec sheet because I remember more power as he does. Hmmmmmm.

https://www.zikinf.com/manuels/event...r-en-29747.pdf

This document says the tweeter dome is anodized aluminum magnesium alloy. I'm pretty sure I recall beryllium and copper for the original design.
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2948
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Exactly Ty. It was the beryllium that suffered supply issues post-tsunami IIRC. The tweeters are now an anodised aluminium-magnesium alloy.

I'm looking at my hard-copy manual now, and you're right, it's not 1000w peak.

However, the headroom I spoke of that one can clearly "hear" is borne out by the following:
LF driver peak power - 720w
LF amp burst power - 600w

So unless I'm misinterpreting what this means, that's 120w additional handling capacity in the LF driver, which of course it never sees 'cause it receives no more than 600w.

I've skipped the long-term, continuous and programme-power spec's 'cause this was about peak handling, of course.

Re-reading all the spec's, I have to say that I'm always pretty-blown-away when I do so.
Old 13th August 2020
  #2949
Lives for gear
 
Chevron's Avatar
 

Thanks, I'm sure tempted..
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2950
Thanks, Monk,

Yeah, that's more in line with my (chuckle) memory. I recall thinking, "Wow! OK, but that's Peak Power, not RMS." Still, as you say, you can hear the headroom.

My memory is flaky on the tsunami as being the cause. Unless there were more than one tsunami. The last one I remember blew out the CD-R factories and I recall putting in a big CD-R blank order so I'd have stock for my clients.

This goes way back to when Stephen St. Croix did a piece on the composition of different CD-R products and came to the conclusion that one of the methods was flawed because the data would erode/corrode if the burned CD-R were left in sunlight.

That drove me to Taiyo Yuden. They were making CD-Rs in the composition that tested well for him. JVC bought Taiyo Yuden. More history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden

but I digress...........
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2951
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Oh, I well remember Taiyo Yuden, mate. Could never afford them myself so settled on top-shelf Verbatims, having tested all the line. IIRC a general rule of thumb was that the darker-blue the burning surface was, the better.

For super-critical stuff I used the "archival grade" Ultralife Gold, as did law-enforcement in my state here in Oz.

That said, I would've gone T.Y. had I been able to afford it for everyday use.

I'm pretty sure it was that "big" tsunami that affected the beryllium supply, mate. Heard it said a number of times.

I've forgotten which magazine it was in (my memory's kaput too - might've been Electronic Musician), but SSC's rant was always the highlight of the issue every month for me.
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2952
Monk,

Yes they were more expensive in this hemisphere as well, but I took the position that I never wanted to get a call from a client saying, "Your CDs don't work." I saw Taiyo Yuden as "cheap insurance."

That worked out pretty well. There were some CD players for cars here that had a 6 CD box in the trunk. For some reason they were the most finnicky.

Stephen St. Croix wrote for MIX magazine. Exclusively, I think.

Cheers!
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2953
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Ahh... of course, that was the one; thanks mate.

I bought SOS, EM and Mix every month for at least a decade but the ol' memory's not what it used to be.
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2954
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Thanks, I'm sure tempted..
Maaaaaaaan Ill never sell mine, still love working on them every day!!!
Old 13th August 2020
  #2955
Lives for gear
Tupac is tracking on his new pair nearly every day too. He mixes on them and then takes them out in his 2020 Delorean for a car check. Micheal bought a new pair after he heard Tupacโ€™s. A lot of those guys that arenโ€™t really dead seem to have no problem getting Opals. But I donโ€™t think their factory is in this dimension.
Is this a faith-based thing? Is there some cult or religion that requires a belief that Opals are a current product? There are far more sinister cults. This seems almost harmless, except to anyone trying to order new ones.
Old 13th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2956
Well, I've been an "energy worker" since 2009. Most recently have had some success reducing numbness from someone with MS.....Opal are not directly connected to that pursuit.
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2957
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

So you say, Ty.

Never underestimate the influential power of the Opals.
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Well, I've been an "energy worker" since 2009. Most recently have had some success reducing numbness from someone with MS.....Opal are not directly connected to that pursuit.
Afraid to ask what working for the utility company has to do with MS...
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2959
I know, right?

It's all energy at some frequency or another......

Last edited by Ty Ford; 14th August 2020 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2960
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
Afraid to ask what working for the utility company has to do with MS...
"Energy worker" could mean Reiki, Bowen Therapy, Chakra Balancing, acupuncture or any number of healing methods involving energy fields of the body.

Last edited by Monkey Man; 14th August 2020 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Miss Pellings' rap across the knuckles
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2961
For me, it's Chakra Balancing, Medical Qigong, some Zdenko and Pranic Healing.

I don't do lots of it, but it led me to create soundscapes based on the Chakra color system. Interestingly, the visible light spectrum is an octave in terahertz. My latest soundscape traverses up from A to G in microtones across six octaves. That's from the base of the spine to the top of the head.

That's the one I used on the client with MS. It took three sessions to clean him out. I don't know if it was because he's 64 years old (a lifetime of junk) or whether the MS was clogging him up, but after the third session he wasn't numb on the left side for a year and a half. When he got numb again it took a one hour session to open him back up. Weird but cool stuff.
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
"Energy worker" could mean Reiki, Bowen Therapy, Chakra Balancing, acupuncture or any number of healing methods involving energy fields of the body.
Oh, so make believe. Got it.
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2963
There's quite a bit of science behind it now, Jeremy.

The disbelief you're expressing is similar to the thought that pictures and sound can not be conveyed wirelessly -- you know like radio, the Internet and TV.

Here you go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5628565/

https://www.wellandgood.com/energy-m...cal-community/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6396053/

https://www.energypsych.org/page/ScienceEnergyHealing

As they say, just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Old 14th August 2020
  #2964
Lives for gear
 
Chevron's Avatar
 

Are we still talking about the Event Opals, or something else? ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Are we still talking about the Event Opals, or something else? ๐Ÿ˜Ž
We live in a post fact world now. Sorry for poking the (anti-science) bear.
Carry on!
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2966
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
There's quite a bit of science behind it now, Jeremy.

The disbelief you're expressing is similar to the thought that pictures and sound can not be conveyed wirelessly -- you know like radio, the Internet and TV.

Here you go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5628565/

https://www.wellandgood.com/energy-m...cal-community/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6396053/

https://www.energypsych.org/page/ScienceEnergyHealing

As they say, just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it doesn't work.
I only looked at the first NCBI link (the other links are obviously biased):

"Conclusions: Since these studies are extremely varied in design it is not possible at this point to reach conclusions about the general effectiveness of RH. More clinical and physiological research performed on different populations under a range of conditions is needed in order to support this healthcare approach."

Bottom line> Unless you can do a true double blind study on a large enough sample, that shows a statistical advantage over the control (placebo), it's essentially anecdotal.

Placebo is real and it works. And therein lies the problem...
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
  #2967
Quote:
The disbelief you're expressing is similar to the thought that pictures and sound can not be conveyed wirelessly -- you know like radio, the Internet and TV.
This is beyond ridiculous for so many reasons. But mainly the analogy breaks down because radio, internet and TV all use forms of energy that can be measured, tested and repeated and are based on solid physical principles, while every other form of "energy" and "vibrations" are poorly misunderstood superstitions and pre-scientific conjecture.
We all know the use of "quantum" in audio products immediately indicates snake-oil and magical thinking. Double that for medicine.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 650 views: 226840
Avatar for RJHollins
RJHollins 3 days ago
replies: 98 views: 12452
Avatar for DR Music
DR Music 21st December 2011
replies: 75 views: 21035
Avatar for DGByrne
DGByrne 14th October 2020
replies: 61 views: 9355
Avatar for H89
H89 31st March 2013
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump