The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Event Opal Monitors - not your regular speakers
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Nut

Why not try contacting them directly with your questions? Let us know if you get any answers.

Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | Support
Old 13th March 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispire View Post
Why not try contacting them directly with your questions? Let us know if you get any answers.

Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | Support
I will. I was just thinking maybe someone here know something.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
I see Thomann has them in stock - again
That's interesting. Have you contacted them direct? If you don't get a response from Event, I'd ask Thomann. If they actually have stock, then they might know something about Event's current status...

Last edited by Fleaman; 14th March 2019 at 05:08 AM..
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

... or you could ring Rode in Sydney.

If anyone would know, you'd think it'd be the manufacturer.
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear

Love my Opals. They are going strong and really work in the space they are set up in (flat out of the box!)
I bought them 5 ½ years ago. It was a long wait then. Sweetwater gave me a set of 20/20s to hold me over. Should have kept those for another room.
I finally registered them on the Event site today, but the registration form bombed. I sent email. We will see, whether there is intelligent life out there.

I do hope parts are available, if they ever fail. They are getting careful use, I rarely blast them and avoid distortion and excessive e overdrive LEDs.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
From my perspective, as someone who's owned, mixed on, listened to music on, and loved Event Opals for 10 years, but now have the HEDD Type 20 in my studio for the past few months... my honest opinion is... I don't think there would be anyone who loves listening to and working on Opals, that wouldn't listen to the HEDD Type 20 in their studio for just a few minutes, and wouldn't think the Type 20 is a substantial upgrade.

I'd always wanted a 3-way monitor, but not at the cost of great low end, and it had to be similar size or not too much larger than the Opals. I always thought the ATC SCM25A would be great, but the price range was a little over my budget, and I was really afraid of a lack of low end, that might end up making me spend even more trying to get the low end where I wanted it. And the Genelec 8351A looks great as well, with what should be a fantastic low end, and a similar type cabinet as the Opals... but again, the price a deterrent for me. So when I saw the HEDD Type 20 the first time, looked up the price, and then did a little research on its characteristic sound, they looked perfect, so I splurged to find out for myself.

So to describe the HEDD in another way... I almost feel like... as much as I love the Opals, if I could describe to Event how to make a new monitor with all the basic characteristics of the Opals, but take a step or three up in clarity, headroom, and dynamic response... but keep the warmth and low end of the Opals... and in the form factor of a 3-way monitor, you couldn't get much closer than the Type 20. I could really almost describe it as like listening to Opals, with a "betterizer". And quite a substantial "betterizer". Especially the mid and top end clarity with the Type 20 is just so much more nuanced and audible, but at the same time not being harsh or piercing in the least. And that clarity in the mid and top end just makes the ability to hear exactly what's going on in the low mids and low end much more apparent, and detailing it in a mix that much easier... and fun.

The Opals may be just very slightly more round and prominent in the lows and low mids. But the Type 20 is just as involving in that range, but with a clarity that I can't really discern when using Opals, while being just as big sounding down low. And they definitely have a depth in the mids and high end that the Opals can't touch... while being very easy to listen to for long periods of time. Anyone who thinks that ribbon tweeters in the Type 20 are necessarily more harsh because that's what they've previously heard in Adams or Eves monitors... has never heard the Type 20... because they're nothing like that.

Another couple ways the Type 20 remind of the Opals are 1) they both achieve that great low end with a smaller 7" woofer, and 2) they both punch well above their price range at the time of their release.

So that's my take on the Type 20. I'm not trying to convince anyone to think the same as me about it. I'm really just trying to be more informational, as one guy's opinion, for anyone that's used the Opals and loved them, but can't get parts to keep them going... or anyone who's heard them before and wishes they coulda had a pair before Event stopped making 'em. If you wanted a monitor that might take you to a similar place as the Opals... but with just a little (a lot?) "more"... and that's available in a current product... you wouldn't be too far off with the HEDD Type 20. And they may take you at least a few steps farther... for not a lot more cost than the original price of Event Opals.

And really, the only real reason I'm comparing 'em is because I've now owned and used both. And having always loved the low end extension and mid warmth of the Opals... I'm just thrilled to have finally found a 3-way design that gives me what I always wanted in a 3-way, and still has an awesome similar type low end extension as the Opals.

So like I said... I don't think there's anyone that loves Event Opals, that wouldn't listen to the HEDD Type 20 for just a few minutes... and think they'd just died and gone to Opal heaven+. Similar... in a great way, yet so different... in a great way.

Okay... no more talk of Type 20 in the Opal thread from me. This is just my experience with Event Opals and HEDD Type 20. Not at all meaning to denigrate Opals or anyone that uses and loves them, because they are great monitors.
Why haven't you also not considered the Neumann KH310A?

Cheers

Sergio
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collyde View Post
Love my Opals. They are going strong and really work in the space they are set up in (flat out of the box!)
I bought them 5 ½ years ago. It was a long wait then. Sweetwater gave me a set of 20/20s to hold me over. Should have kept those for another room.
I finally registered them on the Event site today, but the registration form bombed. I sent email. We will see, whether there is intelligent life out there.

I do hope parts are available, if they ever fail. They are getting careful use, I rarely blast them and avoid distortion and excessive e overdrive LEDs.
I'm the OP and have been using them ever since. Wow! You got the overdrive light to illuminate? I tried that when reviewing them and my 25' x 35' room was so loud I had to put my hands over my ears.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Didn't even know there was an overdrive light.

No chance of seeing it anyway with the trim at minimum, I s'pose.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Why haven't you also not considered the Neumann KH310A?

Cheers

Sergio
????????????????
Old 26th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I'm the OP and have been using them ever since. Wow! You got the overdrive light to illuminate? I tried that when reviewing them and my 25' x 35' room was so loud I had to put my hands over my ears.
The red light? I'm in a small-medium sized room and things are getting pretty loud just to get the normal green activity LED to flash!
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head

It may or may not have been mentioned in this thread. I can't seem to find it, anyway.

I get the impression that the Opal is in production again. Is that correct?
And since when? What has been changed or updated?
Will it be more or less safe to buy a pair, since I read that the first run developed some problems over (not too much) time?

James.
Old 1st April 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
... or you could ring Rode in Sydney.

If anyone would know, you'd think it'd be the manufacturer.
Well that is exactly what i did. I sent email to Event and Thomann. Two weeks ago. Asking about availability of parts and lifespan of this particular product. I asked in very polite way trust me i did.

Event never replied to me which is not nice behavior in my book, i asked normal question they do not respond to emails.

While Thomann as usual answered. Thomann answer most of my question in two working days. This time they apologized for delay and explained that they asked their (Thomann) purchasing manager about my concerns.

So Thomann support staff waited answer and they (Thomann) answered previous week but i did not had time to post here.

This is what they told me:

We have checked with our purchasing managers:

​The company Event was taken over a few years ago by Peter Freedman (owner of Rode Microphones). He streamlined the product portfolio, but they still produce and sell monitors.
We are not aware of any closure.

Hope this helps.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we are happy to help.

So i hope this will clear some questions raised here. Thomann certainly helped.

Kind regards
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Well done, xmein.

Many pages back in this thread I said that when I last called Rode I was told that limited-production runs would continue to be made, and that seems to still be the case according to what you were told.

There's been an underlying assumption behind all this debate about alternatives to the Opals in recent pages that the product is dead. Not true if what you and I were told is correct.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Well, until someone posts here as a 'new owner' of Opals, I'm suspect.

We've been hearing these rumors of limited runs, etc.....yet I haven't seen a new Opal owner post here (or somewhere) in many many years....
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post

We've been hearing these rumors of limited runs, etc.....yet I haven't seen a new Opal owner post here (or somewhere) in many many years....
I am selling my pair of Opal here.
I never had any problems with them ? I think it relates to the second genration that were known to have problem.

Regards

Sergio
Old 2nd April 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Well done, xmein.

Many pages back in this thread I said that when I last called Rode I was told that limited-production runs would continue to be made, and that seems to still be the case according to what you were told.

There's been an underlying assumption behind all this debate about alternatives to the Opals in recent pages that the product is dead. Not true if what you and I were told is correct.
Event contacted me directly now. Just yesterday after i posted here. They assured me that all spare parts are in stock and these will be serviceable for many years to come.

Quote:

Read above. Hope it helps. Event is running just fine.

So this case/question of "is Event speakers not available anymore" is closed now.

They are and will be available.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Well done, xmein.

Event contacted me directly now. Just yesterday after i posted here. They assured me that all spare parts are in stock and these will be serviceable for many years to come.

Quote:

Read above. Hope it helps. Event is running just fine.

So this case/question of "is Event speakers not available anymore" is closed now.

They are and will be available.
Having parts avail for servicing is different than having complete monitors in stock to sell. In fact, in many countries a manufacture has to keep parts in stock for servicing (warranties, etc), for a certain amount of years— by law.

A company can discontinue a product, but still have parts to service for many years.

I’ve yet to read a post of someone who has bought new Opals in what, 5+ years? Have you?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Dude, is GS the nexus of the universe? Must everyone who buys a pair report it here? It's sold in limited runs, so the reporting of it here would be a subset of a small subset as far as general-monitor sales are concerned.

I was told by Leigh at the factory that they plan to continue making them in limited runs for years to come. He assured me not to worry about servicing should something go wrong with my set at some point in the future.

What more do you want? Call Rode yourself and tell them you don't believe them 'cause nobody's reported a sale at BeerGutz. Perhaps they'll do a better job of convincing you than Deleted bc6012f or I.

At any rate, the assumption underlying pages of speculation here as to what would be an adequate replacement is just that, an assumption, and it renders that argument irrelevant. Anyone contemplating a pair shouldn't panic based on that GS Hype™.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bc6012f View Post
Thank you for reporting this, Deleted bc6012f. It's comforting to know that they're still telling folks what they told me a while back. Awesome, man!
Old 2nd April 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Having parts avail for servicing is different than having complete monitors in stock to sell. In fact, in many countries a manufacture has to keep parts in stock for servicing (warranties, etc), for a certain amount of years— by law.

A company can discontinue a product, but still have parts to service for many years.

I’ve yet to read a post of someone who has bought new Opals in what, 5+ years? Have you?
I don't know when i read your posts in this thread i keep sensing you simply persist on creating some evil theory or that there is really something deceptive in all this.

I really tried to help you, myself and everyone else in this thread asking themselves about Event Opal product future.

Not sure how i can be more helpful? Largest and most reliable European seller Thomann (Welcome – Thomann UK) reported to me that they checked and that Event Opal is in production. You do realize company of such calibre as Thomann wouldn't just say something like that to sell out few "deceased - EOL" Opals from their shelves?

I do understand your info about manufacture and dealers having parts in stock for servicing even after product is deceased but i never rolled such subject (because i understand it). Of course i would be concerned having Opals and hearing production is dead. But this is not the case.

Moreover Event directly contacted me and confirmed and cleared my doubt.

So you have Australian manufacturer Rode/Event and Thomann - company from Germany to which i can only say praise - telling me same thing.

Why should i doubt?

Regarding your comment "I’ve yet to read a post of someone who has bought new Opals in what, 5+ years? " - i sincerely hope you realize Gearslutz, Facebook or KVR for that matter aren't exactly indicators how world or companies are functioning. You need to take everything your read on forum - with a large spoon of salt. Not grain of salt. It's good for some learning or reading some rumors.

My assumption is that if you take all Opal (or any brand) users from Gearlsutz - they are like 0.5% of complete user base on Opal product worldwide. (it's a guess).

In fact this thread if anything is a sole proof of complete nonsense which actually confused me. From this thread i was actually confused and mislead about Opal future. So there you have it. This thread produced some first rate nonsense about Opal future. On top of that i was actually under impression that MKII is on the way. Which is very likely another world of nonsense.

Anyway i hope you will find answers for your doubts but in your position i wouldn't count on Gearslutz to provide me that. Or some new Opal user from some forum. Even what i wrote should be taken with grain of salt. You can always contact them directly if you think i am not providing solid information.

Last edited by Deleted bc6012f; 2nd April 2019 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
Interesting thread, but very odd. I don’t know how anyone can say they are getting information recently from Event about Opal or any other product. Event does not exist as a company. Rode bought whatever was left of Event, but Rode does not make speakers under either brand name.
Old 2nd April 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Interesting thread, but very odd. I don’t know how anyone can say they are getting information recently from Event about Opal or any other product. Event does not exist as a company. Rode bought whatever was left of Event, but Rode does not make speakers under either brand name.

Look guys this is starting to be creepy if not weird and silly at this point of time

Event is a brand/company/whatever acquired by Rode. If i tried to ask something via one of their website currently available and they finally respond - Why on earth is this something new, odd or unusal to you?

Example: Have you not heard Uli Behringer bought TC Electronic. Is it really that hard to grasp that now Uli Behringer is answering questions related to TC Electronic and product his company acquired?? (i mean this is just example - Cakewalk was bought by Roland and so on and on...).

I don't believe that some of you guys are really born less gifted and that i have to picture it for you but since you re questioning and making it weird that Event contacted me directly i pictured this for some of you.

Yes i blurred person name because i am not keen on sharing someone else private name over internet forum which at this point is starting to be bunch of weirdos questioning everything.

This is person email signature from email he sent me and yes email came from Event domain itself.

I am posting this picture and i am out of this thread. It really is creepy now.

Goodbye

Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I believe this is incorrect.
Rode have always made the Opal under the Event name. After the release, Rode released an updated version of the old 2020 under the Rode name and after that, created the new 2030.

I very clearly remember the launch video for the Opal with Peter Freedman in LA (I think it was) revealing them like they were some new car model! He made all sorts of exotic claims about performance and people were talking!

While I have no knowledge or proof about current manufacture, it does seem odd that they do not feature in the speaker section on the websites of any of the retailers here in Australia that previously sold them. (That I've looked at - at least 4 so far).
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
As Mikey said, Rode makes 'em in Sydney. IIRC SOS did a feature where it interviewed Peter about the production facility he'd put together specifically for the Opals. I'm pretty sure pics were provided too.

Further to that, I've spoken with guys who work in the factory regarding some fluff / lint-type particles that resided in the control cavity (underneath the removable-rubber lid) of one of the monitors when I bought mine new. They had a number of theories as to how said particles might've accumulated there and specifically mentioned a number of stages of production.

I'm pretty sure they weren't making it all up...

Interesting fact:
Rode manufactures all components for the Opals, something you rarely see, if ever, these days.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
I recently had an Opal fail. There is no response to anything sent to Event. There is no contact information at Rode regarding any service or repair for any Event products. Working with Sweetwater Sound, where I purchased the Opal, we found ONE independent facility in North Hollywood that had been repairing Opals. When contacted, they said they hadn’t “repaired” anything. They had some amplifier modules they had swapped into Opals where the amplifier modules had failed. They ran out of amplifier modules last year and had no source for them. They also said that the components in the amplifier modules had identification removed, making detailed repair of the modules impossible. They also said they had never had a supply of the actual LF or HF drivers, which were proprietary.
If you have current contact information for Event, or for any person at Rode who can repair Opals, include that with your future emails. Otherwise your claims are not believable.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
since you re questioning and making it weird that Event contacted me directly i pictured this for some of you.

This is person email signature from email he sent me and yes email came from Event domain itself.

Too bad you are bailing from this thread.
There is no date on your screen shot of an Event contact email. Their site currently shows no phone number or email address and was last updated in 2017.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Monkey Man and xmein> Sorry, figured to address you guys directly rather than quote the long posts, so apologies in advance if my response isn't specific to either of you.

While it's true that GS isn't "nexus of the universe" in reporting Opal purchases, I have read countless posters on GS who, over the course of many many years, have been trying to purchase new Opals, and asking GS posters where they can get them, etc.

I've yet to read any of those posters reporting any success.

Is that proof that Opals are not being made in limited runs? Of course not.

If you want to believe that 'parts and service is avail for years' is an indication that Opals are available now? Or that a vague reply Thomann is proof, that's your preoperative.

What I did notice is that neither Event or Thomann, KMR, etc., said they have them in stock. The rumors of 'limited runs' have been around for years now.

I'm a happy owner of Opals for 8 something years now. I have no ill will to see them disappear. But as far as real world Opal availability, all I've seen is rumor and conjecture.

I would be happy to be proven wrong---at some point.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

I hear you, mate, but I've spoken to dudes at Rode in Sydney where they're made. I'll take reassurance from them over and above anything Sweetwater, forumites or even Event says.

Call them yourself if you'd like some reassurance; that was the reason I rang them last time, the first was, as I mentioned earlier, about some fluff in the control cavity of one of my monitors.

As for anyone doubting things, consider that going to source is the only sure-fire way to learn the truth... about anything. Sure, Rode bought Event, but that doesn't mean that the latter will always be in-the-know about all products, especially ones made by Rode. Sweetwater's even further down the line as a retailer.

For the love of God, anyone believing this is rumour, call the bloody manufacturer. This ought to be put to bed once and for all. Limited runs = rare by definition.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the love of God, anyone believing this is rumour, call the bloody manufacturer. This ought to be put to bed once and for all. Limited runs = rare by definition.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but FWIR there's countless posts on GS (perhaps on this almost 100 pg thread) of posters doing exactly what you say, getting told what you were told, but the end result is still no Opals.

??

Bushman and others have noted serious issues with servicing and parts availability.

Heck, maybe Peter Freedman cobbled together enough parts to make a couple of pairs of Opals for someone special (or not special)---that by definition is a 'limited run'.

Again, GS may not be the truth of Opal availability, but here in the US, Sweetwater, ZZsounds and many others list Opals as 'No longer avail'.

Thomann shows them as 'avail immediately'---whether that's true or not is I guess gonna be the purview of whoever attempts to buy a pair from them. And even if they do have them, they could be a NOS item.

This matter doesn't currently concern me that much, as mentioned, I have a fine working pair of Opals. My point is I've been reading the same rumors that Event has been telling GS posters here for years now. This isn't a 'new' statement from them.

I take anything Event says on Opals with a grain of salt. If you want to believe what they say is truth, then again, fully your prerogative.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Perhaps you didn't hear me (I mean this politely):
I too don't give a toss what Event says; it's the manufacturer I believe. Just 'cause Rode bought Event doesn't mean that Event is always 100% up with what happens at-source, which is one reason I said that the source is all that really matters, ie. the manufacturer.

The last time I rang, probably around March 2017, they told me they were about to do a run. 2 months later they appeared at, IIRC, Andertons and Thomann. I remember 'cause a buddy of mine in Denmark just missed out and he was peeved.

As I said, rare-and-difficult-to-get-hold-of does not equal unavailable.

I'm done repeating myself. This isn't directed at you, but to all other "sceptics": Pick up the ruddy 'phone and call them, for Pete's sake!.
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't hear me (I mean this politely):
I too don't give a toss what Event says; it's the manufacturer I believe. Just 'cause Rode bought Event doesn't mean that Event is always 100% up with what happens at-source, which is one reason I said that the source is all that really matters, ie. the manufacturer.

The last time I rang, probably around March 2017, they told me they were about to do a run. 2 months later they appeared at, IIRC, Andertons and Thomann. I remember 'cause a buddy of mine in Denmark just missed out and he was peeved.

As I said, rare-and-difficult-to-get-hold-of does not equal unavailable.

I'm done repeating myself. This isn't directed at you, but to all other "sceptics": Pick up the ruddy 'phone and call them, for Pete's sake!.
Event/Rode....it's the same company. Yes Rode bought Event, yes it's manufactured down under, blah blah blah. But 'Event' is what's on the Opal monitor, the 'Event' website is where you'll find the Opals shown, not the Rode site. How is Event 'not' the manufacture? It's Peter's company!

Why you want to single out 'Rode' as the manufacture is curious to me...who cares? It's the same company, same manufacture same 'Guy'.

And what good does calling Rode or Event or Peter for that matter? They don't sell direct. You can't 'order' from them. They can say whatever the hell they want, then you and your dealer gotta decipher what that means in the real world.

So perhaps they made a small run a year ago, then poof, no more Opals again.
Maybe they'll make another small run again, maybe not. Honestly I'd think anyone is daft for believing what Event or Rode claims on this. It's to their benefit to keep you stringing along so that you don't give up and buy another brand.

It's still rumor and conjecture.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search