The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Event Opal Monitors - not your regular speakers
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianN View Post
Not to mention they are different design speakers.
One has what appears to be a ribbon tweeter, while the other is a dome. Some love ribbon-style tweeters, some absolutely hate them.
One is a two way with a certain crossover point, and the other is a 3-way.

Both speakers will show you different things.

I'm no longer going to subscribe to this thread since I got my Opals and love them, so I'm wasting time. I won't be around, so go easy on me because I won't be able to defend myself.

The Opals compliment my NS10's really well. What the NS10's don't show me, the Opals do.

I actually picked them over the newer Genelecs, which are a "far superior and more technologically advanced" speaker than the Opals . Although I didn't compare them side by side and the rooms were different, they showed me just about the same things I needed to hear... And they cost me 1/4 of the Genelecs. I could have four pairs for the same price, have them in all my main rooms, have a spare, and be super happy.

Meanwhile, I'm going to Alan Molder and tell him his Auratones are too old, and if he just upgrades to some new non-medieval, get-with-the-program 2019 monitors, his mixes will finally improve as it will then be effortless. No more fiddle-farting around with those old bags! On that note, CLA should also set his NS10's on fire!

C-ya guys around!
It's been an honour to have you here, Christian.

Hopefully this isn't a "permanent" farewell, mate!
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

From my perspective, as someone who's owned, mixed on, listened to music on, and loved Event Opals for 10 years, but now have the HEDD Type 20 in my studio for the past few months... my honest opinion is... I don't think there would be anyone who loves listening to and working on Opals, that wouldn't listen to the HEDD Type 20 in their studio for just a few minutes, and wouldn't think the Type 20 is a substantial upgrade.

I'd always wanted a 3-way monitor, but not at the cost of great low end, and it had to be similar size or not too much larger than the Opals. I always thought the ATC SCM25A would be great, but the price range was a little over my budget, and I was really afraid of a lack of low end, that might end up making me spend even more trying to get the low end where I wanted it. And the Genelec 8351A looks great as well, with what should be a fantastic low end, and a similar type cabinet as the Opals... but again, the price a deterrent for me. So when I saw the HEDD Type 20 the first time, looked up the price, and then did a little research on its characteristic sound, they looked perfect, so I splurged to find out for myself.

So to describe the HEDD in another way... I almost feel like... as much as I love the Opals, if I could describe to Event how to make a new monitor with all the basic characteristics of the Opals, but take a step or three up in clarity, headroom, and dynamic response... but keep the warmth and low end of the Opals... and in the form factor of a 3-way monitor, you couldn't get much closer than the Type 20. I could really almost describe it as like listening to Opals, with a "betterizer". And quite a substantial "betterizer". Especially the mid and top end clarity with the Type 20 is just so much more nuanced and audible, but at the same time not being harsh or piercing in the least. And that clarity in the mid and top end just makes the ability to hear exactly what's going on in the low mids and low end much more apparent, and detailing it in a mix that much easier... and fun.

The Opals may be just very slightly more round and prominent in the lows and low mids. But the Type 20 is just as involving in that range, but with a clarity that I can't really discern when using Opals, while being just as big sounding down low. And they definitely have a depth in the mids and high end that the Opals can't touch... while being very easy to listen to for long periods of time. Anyone who thinks that ribbon tweeters in the Type 20 are necessarily more harsh because that's what they've previously heard in Adams or Eves monitors... has never heard the Type 20... because they're nothing like that.

Another couple ways the Type 20 remind of the Opals are 1) they both achieve that great low end with a smaller 7" woofer, and 2) they both punch well above their price range at the time of their release.

So that's my take on the Type 20. I'm not trying to convince anyone to think the same as me about it. I'm really just trying to be more informational, as one guy's opinion, for anyone that's used the Opals and loved them, but can't get parts to keep them going... or anyone who's heard them before and wishes they coulda had a pair before Event stopped making 'em. If you wanted a monitor that might take you to a similar place as the Opals... but with just a little (a lot?) "more"... and that's available in a current product... you wouldn't be too far off with the HEDD Type 20. And they may take you at least a few steps farther... for not a lot more cost than the original price of Event Opals.

And really, the only real reason I'm comparing 'em is because I've now owned and used both. And having always loved the low end extension and mid warmth of the Opals... I'm just thrilled to have finally found a 3-way design that gives me what I always wanted in a 3-way, and still has an awesome similar type low end extension as the Opals.

So like I said... I don't think there's anyone that loves Event Opals, that wouldn't listen to the HEDD Type 20 for just a few minutes... and think they'd just died and gone to Opal heaven+. Similar... in a great way, yet so different... in a great way.

Okay... no more talk of Type 20 in the Opal thread from me. This is just my experience with Event Opals and HEDD Type 20. Not at all meaning to denigrate Opals or anyone that uses and loves them, because they are great monitors.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Can't argue with that fair and objective review.

If the Type 20 wasn't twice the price of the Opals (when you could get them), I could consider this a fair fight!
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
From my perspective, as someone who's owned, mixed on, listened to music on, and loved Event Opals for 10 years, but now have the HEDD Type 20 in my studio for the past few months... my honest opinion is... I don't think there would be anyone who loves listening to and working on Opals, that wouldn't listen to the HEDD Type 20 in their studio for just a few minutes, and wouldn't think the Type 20 is a substantial upgrade.

I'd always wanted a 3-way monitor, but not at the cost of great low end, and it had to be similar size or not too much larger than the Opals. I always thought the ATC SCM25A would be great, but the price range was a little over my budget, and I was really afraid of a lack of low end, that might end up making me spend even more trying to get the low end where I wanted it. And the Genelec 8351A looks great as well, with what should be a fantastic low end, and a similar type cabinet as the Opals... but again, the price a deterrent for me. So when I saw the HEDD Type 20 the first time, looked up the price, and then did a little research on its characteristic sound, they looked perfect, so I splurged to find out for myself.

So to describe the HEDD in another way... I almost feel like... as much as I love the Opals, if I could describe to Event how to make a new monitor with all the basic characteristics of the Opals, but take a step or three up in clarity, headroom, and dynamic response... but keep the warmth and low end of the Opals... and in the form factor of a 3-way monitor, you couldn't get much closer than the Type 20. I could really almost describe it as like listening to Opals, with a "betterizer". And quite a substantial "betterizer". Especially the mid and top end clarity with the Type 20 is just so much more nuanced and audible, but at the same time not being harsh or piercing in the least. And that clarity in the mid and top end just makes the ability to hear exactly what's going on in the low mids and low end much more apparent, and detailing it in a mix that much easier... and fun.

The Opals may be just very slightly more round and prominent in the lows and low mids. But the Type 20 is just as involving in that range, but with a clarity that I can't really discern when using Opals, while being just as big sounding down low. And they definitely have a depth in the mids and high end that the Opals can't touch... while being very easy to listen to for long periods of time. Anyone who thinks that ribbon tweeters in the Type 20 are necessarily more harsh because that's what they've previously heard in Adams or Eves monitors... has never heard the Type 20... because they're nothing like that.

Another couple ways the Type 20 remind of the Opals are 1) they both achieve that great low end with a smaller 7" woofer, and 2) they both punch well above their price range at the time of their release.

So that's my take on the Type 20. I'm not trying to convince anyone to think the same as me about it. I'm really just trying to be more informational, as one guy's opinion, for anyone that's used the Opals and loved them, but can't get parts to keep them going... or anyone who's heard them before and wishes they coulda had a pair before Event stopped making 'em. If you wanted a monitor that might take you to a similar place as the Opals... but with just a little (a lot?) "more"... and that's available in a current product... you wouldn't be too far off with the HEDD Type 20. And they may take you at least a few steps farther... for not a lot more cost than the original price of Event Opals.

And really, the only real reason I'm comparing 'em is because I've now owned and used both. And having always loved the low end extension and mid warmth of the Opals... I'm just thrilled to have finally found a 3-way design that gives me what I always wanted in a 3-way, and still has an awesome similar type low end extension as the Opals.

So like I said... I don't think there's anyone that loves Event Opals, that wouldn't listen to the HEDD Type 20 for just a few minutes... and think they'd just died and gone to Opal heaven+. Similar... in a great way, yet so different... in a great way.

Okay... no more talk of Type 20 in the Opal thread from me. This is just my experience with Event Opals and HEDD Type 20. Not at all meaning to denigrate Opals or anyone that uses and loves them, because they are great monitors.
I really do think the Type20 is a very good monitor, absolutely. I’ve helped installing them in two different befriended studios actually last year alone, and think they performed great in both. On of those studios had the Opal in mind but opted for the Type20 because the Opal seemed EOL.

What is very important to consider but seems to be overlooked by many, is the room. I might prefer the smaller PSI A17-M over the Type20 because of the room, or exactly the opposite, again because of the room. And don’t forget the interface too. It all influences our perception of how good a monitor is. I guess also our hearing has influence, because a bright monitor might work best for someone with hearing loss in the highs for example. Anyway I digress.

The same with the Opal and Type20 in *my* room. I like the Type20 but still prefer the Opal.

Anyway, after all this “defending” of the Opal I have to say I don’t own a set anymore. There was a time when I needed the money for more important things, sadly the had to go. Now I’m working on a pair of old (but amazing) Sony hifi speakers, while saving money for a set of Buchardt Audio S400 or Amphion One18, go figure.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks Javahut for your thorough and balanced opinion
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
Can't argue with that fair and objective review.

If the Type 20 wasn't twice the price of the Opals (when you could get them), I could consider this a fair fight!
When they came out...and as far as I know, the entire time they were in production... Opals were right at $1500 US each. $3k for a pair.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
When they came out...and as far as I know, the entire time they were in production... Opals were right at $1500 US each. $3k for a pair.
Pretty much.

Though I had seen them for $2600 pair for a while with some popular retailers.

I got mine used and part of a trade, so of course that doesn't count...
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Either way, the $3k a pair slot is still kinda unimpressive in regards to today's offerings (when comparing to the $3k Opal price point).
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Thanks Javahut for your thorough and balanced opinion
Told you there's a forest around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Either way, the $3k a pair slot is still kinda unimpressive in regards to today's offerings (when comparing to the $3k Opal price point).
Currently selling for $3.5k in US or $4k in Europe.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/recordin...per-speaker%29

And the HEDD 20s sell for $4k in US and $3.9k in Europe

HEDD Type 20 Studio Monitor (Single) | SamAsh

Factor in the difficulty to find parts if replacements are needed, when HEDD is a company that just started and is probably here to stay for quite some time (it's a family business), the fact that their speakers get recognition left and right since launching, hence will most likely hold good value over time if should you sell them and it's clear that the 20s are definitely not more expensive than Opals. From my point the 20s are much cheaper actually, I don't want to waste precious time trying to outsource over-priced parts when I have to make a deadline. Forget it, could be any speaker, from a pro-audio point of view this hassle is unacceptable. Once more, my 2¢.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you, Javahut. Great read, mate.

Andrei, I hear you too but your price comparison relies on the Opals' failing. The vast majority of users won't experience this; they're made and designed for "lifetime" performance, something that's been confirmed to me a number of times by the dudes at the factory.

So:
1) As long as neither model breaks, the Opals are cheaper.
2) If the HEDD breaks, the Opals are cheaper.
3) If the Opals break, they may still be cheaper 'cause there's headroom(!) in the initial-cost differential for part replacement, should that be possible or necessary.

IOW, in most scenarios (I've covered all of them generically, really), the Opals are cheaper. The only one where it's not is if a part is unattainable, even 2nd-hand, and one has to try to sell a faulty pair for spare parts or whatever, or if indeed the part required, when added to the initial-purchase cost, exceeds the price of a pair of HEDDs.

All that said, if for whatever reason I ever have to part with my Opals (unlikely, but possible in this ever-changing environment), I'd certainly look at the HEDD Type 20 if it were still fantastic bang for buck at the time. I'd have to be in a better financial position than I am now, of course, but this is the nebulous, unpredictable future I'm talking about. For the record, I saved up for 5 or 6 years for my Opals, starting the day they hit the market, such was my desire for these things, and next to my Kemper, they've definitely been the most-awesome pieces of gear I've ever bought.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Opals in Australia were around $3,200 per pair and the HEDD 20 is more than double that. Sure, that's with the "Australia tax" that we're used to paying on imports.

HEDD Type 20 Studio Monitor (Single) - AWAVE

There's possibly some room to play with that, I don't know but money-wise the two shouldn't be in the same discussion.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
The Opals in Australia were around $3,200 per pair and the HEDD 20 is more than double that. Sure, that's with the "Australia tax" that we're used to paying on imports.
Love spending my money on that tax...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Hedd 20s or anything in that price range is superior in some way to the Opals - as much as I love them.

I've been using the Opals for around 9 years and cannot complain about the mixes I've done, but there is newer tech out and speaker design (as microphone design) is just getting better and better.

It's just the EOL thing for me. I've already had one woofer blow and it was very difficult and time consuming to get a replacement. It seems as though that is actually impossible now.

I also don't see at this price point how you can go too wrong with any of those monitors. I had a listen to the Adam S3Vs recently and found them to be excellent (as I'm sure the Hedd ones are).

Basically you install them, you get used to them, you adjust your DSP or EQ settings on the speakers for your room and learn how your mixes translate ... and make some records!
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
So:
1) As long as neither model breaks, the Opals are cheaper.
2) If the HEDD breaks, the Opals are cheaper.
3) If the Opals break, they may still be cheaper 'cause there's headroom(!) in the initial-cost differential for part replacement, should that be possible or necessary.
No, sorry, it's not how my mind works. I'm left with all kind of unknowns if something goes wrong with the speakers, regardless of how well they're built. The company isn't there anymore to back you up in case of emergency, you have to rely on inspiration, luck and persistence to repair/replace the broken parts. I don't like this uncertainty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth View Post

I've been using the Opals for around 9 years and cannot complain about the mixes I've done, but there is newer tech out and speaker design (as microphone design) is just getting better and better.

I've already had one woofer blow and it was very difficult and time consuming to get a replacement. It seems as though that is actually impossible now.
Yeah, exactly. Tools are tools, if you can't fix it, why bother... You need to keep going, so you look elsewhere.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
No, sorry, it's not how my mind works. I'm left with all kind of unknowns if something goes wrong with the speakers, regardless of how well they're built. The company isn't there anymore to back you up in case of emergency, you have to rely on inspiration, luck and persistence to repair/replace the broken parts. I don't like this uncertainty.
Actually, I'm the same, mate.

I was merely making the cost comparisons using facts; I therefore didn't take into account perceptions.

It was a quantitative assessment, whereas yours relies on qualitative aspects of owning the monitors - how it makes you feel. IMHO it's not fair to put forward a price comparison that skews one product's affordability over another's based on feelings.

As I said in the first sentence, I totally get where you're coming from; I was trying to set the record straight, again, with facts only. Hope you understand, mate.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

ok , the Hedd20 looks interesting !!
But talking about translation: how do they behave ?
I was thinking about changing my Opals for KH310A or Amphion which have the reputation of a very good translation

How about the Hedd 20?

Regards

Sergio
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
I was thinking about changing my Opals for KH310A or Amphion which have the reputation of a very good translation

How about the Hedd 20?

Regards

Sergio
Translation? I guess it depends on what you are comparing to.
How long is a string?

The only thing you should be comparing to is a system that has a linear frequency response from 20-20k, and has a distortion (all types) of like less than 0,1% in the passband at max volume (A weighed), which should be like 120-130dB.

This is what all monitors should strive for, imo. If they all did this there would be no need for them to translate anything to jack sh1t!

I have a feeling most highly regarded monitors are very very far away from the "ideal".

Its quite weird most makers dont publish any real numbers. And if they somehow happen to post numbers and graphs they are so smoothed it would be better if a kid simply drawed it in with crayons. I can read between the lines.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Told you there's a forest around
Forest of 3 trees?

In this thread there are a total of 3 posters that have compared the Opals/Hedd.

Of those 3>
-Two preferred the Hedd
-One preferred the Opal

And when you posted this>>

Quote:
When all "subjective" A/B tests converge towards same result then we have a statement. Feel free to do yours if given the opportunity. Better technology must be mentioned in this forum. Cheers!
...Only 1 poster had posted they preferred the Hedd. The other Hedd preference user had posted After you made your claim.

I asked you to back up your claim of these multiple existing A/B Opal/Hedd users comparisons and you balked, plain and simple. So, nice try

Is this your idea of All Opal/Hedd A/B tests showing a preference for the Hedd?

Last edited by Fleaman; 1st February 2019 at 11:27 PM..
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

it technically is if you're the only one
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

I just hope with all my heart that mine last a lifetime; I love 'em too-much to contemplate losing them.

Say guys, if you only ever run 'em on the minimum-level setting (1 out of 5, or -6dB), would this reduce the chances of component failure? I'm talking about all components including the drivers, of course.

Thank you for your insights; "preserving" these puppies is uber-important to me as I'm on a meagre budget.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Opal user here. I can't believe this thread is still going. Must be the longest on GS.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Na man, some have gone for many hundreds of pages, like this one, for instance, at 530 pages!

Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion

Hope you're enjoying your Opals, mate.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
I really do think the Type20 is a very good monitor, absolutely. I’ve helped installing them in two different befriended studios actually last year alone, and think they performed great in both. On of those studios had the Opal in mind but opted for the Type20 because the Opal seemed EOL.

What is very important to consider but seems to be overlooked by many, is the room. I might prefer the smaller PSI A17-M over the Type20 because of the room, or exactly the opposite, again because of the room. And don’t forget the interface too. It all influences our perception of how good a monitor is. I guess also our hearing has influence, because a bright monitor might work best for someone with hearing loss in the highs for example. Anyway I digress.

The same with the Opal and Type20 in *my* room. I like the Type20 but still prefer the Opal.

Anyway, after all this “defending” of the Opal I have to say I don’t own a set anymore. There was a time when I needed the money for more important things, sadly the had to go. Now I’m working on a pair of old (but amazing) Sony hifi speakers, while saving money for a set of Buchardt Audio S400 or Amphion One18, go figure.
As a former owner of the Event Opal monitors, I’ve also auditioned a lot of monitors (within my budget) that I hoped could replace the Opals. It was a long journey. The amazing Amphion One18’s almost delivered it all, but it couldn’t provide enough insights in the lower registers. Maybe it’s the room but it started to disappear rapidly under 50 Hz, more rapidly than I anticipated.

It’s funny you mention the Buchardt Audio S400’s, because that’s exactly the set of speakers that I have in my studio right now, while I’m figuring out if they go back to Denmark or if they can stay. Initial impression: this is how I imagined the One18 should have performed. To my ears they sound bigger and better, but I can’t compare them directly as I don’t have the One18 in here anymore so it’s from memory.

Will write a much bigger user experience once I’ve worked with them some more,
but truth be told, I might finally have found my Opal replacement (but with a slightly lower max SPL).
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post

How about the Hedd 20?

Regards

Sergio
Anyone on this question ??

Sergio
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
As a former owner of the Event Opal monitors, I’ve also auditioned a lot of monitors (within my budget) that I hoped could replace the Opals. It was a long journey. The amazing Amphion One18’s almost delivered it all, but it couldn’t provide enough insights in the lower registers. Maybe it’s the room but it started to disappear rapidly under 50 Hz, more rapidly than I anticipated.

It’s funny you mention the Buchardt Audio S400’s, because that’s exactly the set of speakers that I have in my studio right now, while I’m figuring out if they go back to Denmark or if they can stay. Initial impression: this is how I imagined the One18 should have performed. To my ears they sound bigger and better, but I can’t compare them directly as I don’t have the One18 in here anymore so it’s from memory.

Will write a much bigger user experience once I’ve worked with them some more,
but truth be told, I might finally have found my Opal replacement (but with a slightly lower max SPL).
Interesting! I have my eyes on the Buchardt s400 as well (partly because of lacking low end on the amphion one18...) But I'm a little worried about translation, which is just incredible on the amphions. Very interested in your opinion about that!
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubomba View Post
Interesting! I have my eyes on the Buchardt s400 as well (partly because of lacking low end on the amphion one18...) But I'm a little worried about translation, which is just incredible on the amphions. Very interested in your opinion about that!
Once I have more experience with them I will start a new thread. I’ve barely touched the surface with them so can’t yet tell you how mixes translate just yet.

What I can tell you is that I noticed they need a bit of distance to work optimally. On a desk is probably too close but I have them on stands behind the desk and that works great! Like I said earlier, if memory serves me right, I do believe the S400’s can offer more insight in the lower registers. Not that they are very bass heavy or boosted in the lows, it sounds controlled, articulate and just right. A listening test with a sine sweep reveals that - in my room with my interface and amp - the S400’s seem to have no audible roll of untill roughly 40Hz. I find they are useable down to 34Hz and that’s commendable in my opinion, especially if you take into account how compact these speakers are. I think the Opal is three times the size and 6(?) times the weight or something (just a guess), but yes they manage to reach a bit more in to the lower registers. In my previous room I found the Opal useable down to around 30Hz.

There is more to a speaker than the ability to reach low frequencies of course. I will share my findings when I’ve had more time with them.
Old 9th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
Once I have more experience with them I will start a new thread. I’ve barely touched the surface with them so can’t yet tell you how mixes translate just yet.

What I can tell you is that I noticed they need a bit of distance to work optimally. On a desk is probably too close but I have them on stands behind the desk and that works great! Like I said earlier, if memory serves me right, I do believe the S400’s can offer more insight in the lower registers. Not that they are very bass heavy or boosted in the lows, it sounds controlled, articulate and just right. A listening test with a sine sweep reveals that - in my room with my interface and amp - the S400’s seem to have no audible roll of untill roughly 40Hz. I find they are useable down to 34Hz and that’s commendable in my opinion, especially if you take into account how compact these speakers are. I think the Opal is three times the size and 6(?) times the weight or something (just a guess), but yes they manage to reach a bit more in to the lower registers. In my previous room I found the Opal useable down to around 30Hz.

There is more to a speaker than the ability to reach low frequencies of course. I will share my findings when I’ve had more time with them.
Thank you, looking forward to hear how it turns out for you!

I know you said it's early but I imagine you did some work on them already. Can you at least say that they are not completely out of the ballpark as mixing monitors regarding translation? I'm just on the fence getting myself a pair for testing... so, a little confirmation would definitely help!
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubomba View Post
Thank you, looking forward to hear how it turns out for you!

I know you said it's early but I imagine you did some work on them already. Can you at least say that they are not completely out of the ballpark as mixing monitors regarding translation? I'm just on the fence getting myself a pair for testing... so, a little confirmation would definitely help!
I’ve done sound design work on them, not really any mixing yet. I did listen to a lot of familiar songs and my impression is that they are fairly neutral and give a lot of detail from low to high. I love the stereo image and phantom middle and the fact that they have not yet caused any ear fatigue.

Sorry I can’t say how they translate yet but I do know they sound like studio monitors to my ears (if that makes sense, how does a studio monitor sound?). I would do the same as I did and give them a chance! Allow them some time to get in shape (yes they improve over time) and make sure you have at least a meter between speakers and the listening position, or perhaps even 1,5 meter if possible.

Last edited by Solidtrax; 9th February 2019 at 10:49 PM..
Old 10th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Adjust for inflation from when the opals came out 10 years ago. The opals would cost around $3500-3600 usd imo if they were made today. If you call around the HEDDs can be had for around 3700-3800.
Old 10th February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

I agree with everything you have said after owning these monitors for 3 weeks now. Opals are great and the only reason I'am comparing the Opals to the Hedds is because Event has closed. Some people have had there Opals for 10 years and support has ended. So anyone getting butt hurt by the comparison..... chill. We are not trashing the Opals. Just trying to find an adequate replacement for an aging monitor with no tech support or parts.
Old 13th March 2019
Deleted bc6012f
After almost a year i still have concern and i will still ask same question.

Does anyone know is Event still in business and what is happening with them? I see Thomann has them in stock - again

I visited Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring and i see their last posting is from 2017 - on tweet.

I get it. Stupid tweet may not be indication of company activity or health but it still worries me. Is there anyone at Event? Are these monitors i see last batch.

Then there's a rumor. It's a good one but still a rumor. Opal V2 or MKII or whatever there is.

I feel worried because what if I will have problems in the future. What if something breaks and I do not have spare parts. I know it's what if but the same question wouldn't be a problem for brand like Adam or Unity Audio etc. I hope i won't sound funny i just like to be prepared for everything that's all.

So does anyone know or can anyone tell from some article - what's happening there?

Last edited by Deleted bc6012f; 13th March 2019 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: typos

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search