The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Event Opal Monitors - not your regular speakers
Old 7th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Anyone had the experience of comparing Opals to PSI Audio A21s?
Old 12th July 2011
gvr
Gear Head

Have these guys been discontinued? Can't find them in stock anywhere and several dealers incl zZounds has stopped carrying them!
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Maniac

There seems to be a tie-up due to lack of spare parts from contractors.
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Interesting story: one of the dealers I know let me in on why you won't be able to buy them for a while... The tweeters are manufactured (were manufactured), quite near to a little place called Fukushima.
Old 12th July 2011
gvr
Gear Head

Argh, when my #1 choice SM9 got pushed to Oct, I decided to go for my backup choice: the Opals. Now they'll be unavailable until who knows when. What to do...
Old 12th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSanchez View Post
I disagree... these things have huge/clean low end, but they will NOT give you that 'club sound' (i.e. bigass bassbins). If your music is intended for that kind of setting, then I could see the value of a sub.

I would NEVER mix with a sub running on these, and it's certainly not required, but I WILL be hanging onto my old KRK sub just for checking mixes on to see how things sound in a club at the low end

If you run a sub, use a completely separate output chain to drive that, as you don't want your signal running through a sub before it hits your opals. Nor will you really need to high pass the opals... EVER.
I have my Opals hooked up to a LSR 6312 sub and I really like it. I have more extended sub area that I can work on very fast. With their power and this sub they are sounding very close to mid or farfield monitors.

my 0.02 by I think it's getting down to oranges and apples right now.

If you need an upgrade form the middle class monitors, buy them, an upgrade it will be
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvr View Post
Argh, when my #1 choice SM9 got pushed to Oct, I decided to go for my backup choice: the Opals. Now they'll be unavailable until who knows when. What to do...
No problem ... ATC SCM25s are better than either one. Barefoot MM35s, also better.
Old 12th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
No problem ... ATC SCM25s are better than either one. Barefoot MM35s, also better.
All three of those (including the SM9) are at least 2x more expensive than the Opals.

While I haven't listened to any of those three, I have listened to the more expensive MM27's and preferred my Opals over them, regardless of price. For 'me' they are better, for 'you' (meaning 'anyone else'), who knows.

BTW, you've already listened to the SM9's? I thought they haven't been shipping yet?
Old 13th July 2011
gvr
Gear Head

@fleaman I haven't heard the SM9s, but the design principles are sound, the specs look very compelling and I believe Focal treats buyers the way one (at least I) would expect when spending $8k on a pair of monitors. Also, images posted by them earlier here today look sweet.

@lucey those speakers are/were also on my list. While the ATC SCM 25 may be underspeced, they don't seem to match the SM9s on paper. I don't think it's possible to say which one is better IRL until the SM9s are out.

The MM27/35s also look compelling design wise, BUT I'm not sure I'm comfortable spending that much on a pair of speakers built by what's essentially a one person company that doesn't have enough bandwidth to answer emails. This is highly personal and I'm not criticizing Barefoot or Thomas - it's just my point of view: when _I_ am spending that kind of money I want customer service.

Also, if you live in Cali the tax on a pair of MM27s is $1k. I wish B&H or other non-CA dealer sold them. Haven't completely ruled them our but there are imho a few cons...
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
@fleaman I haven't heard the SM9s, but the design principles are sound, the specs look very compelling and I believe Focal treats buyers the way one (at least I) would expect when spending $8k on a pair of monitors. Also, images posted by them earlier here today look sweet.
I personally have never liked passive radiator designs, always sounded too, well, floppy to 'me' on the low end.

Perhaps Focal has figured a way around this....
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
@lucey those speakers are/were also on my list. While the ATC SCM 25 may be underspeced, they don't seem to match the SM9s on paper. I don't think it's possible to say which one is better IRL until the SM9s are out.
On paper? Really?

I've heard everything from both companies, and have heard the SCM25s and they are going to be better. Focal tweeters and passive radiator? No way. Focal has no products in our market that are well integrated and low distortion, the ATC is at least well integrated. Even Wilson is still tweaking their metal tweeters in $80,000 4 ways, no one has it right, no thanks.

Underspec? Meaning what? The lowest distortion and most useful nearfield mix speakers that I know of begin to roll off at 60hz ... the room does the rest ... you don't need flat to 25, most rooms can't handle it.

From the Opal to the new Focal and ATC, all are following the market created by Barefoot, so no point in putting a 5 person company down. Barefoot is sold by Vintage King, in Detroit.
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
From the Opal to the new Focal and ATC, all are following the market created by Barefoot,
?? How so?

Quote:
Barefoot is sold by Vintage King, in Detroit.
VK has a LA (Cali) office and showroom (of sorts). I've actually shot out Twins, Barefoots and 0300's there, and bought, paid and p/u'd gear from there. So sales tax is unavoidable if you're in Cali.
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

I've listened to those Atc SCM25s .....Haven't heard the sm9 so can't comment there.

The SCM25s vs Opals (which I own) is a interesting debate - again one that should only be decided by translation results. I can sit here and tell everyone about how the midrange on the SCM25s felt more detailed than the Opals and felt like there wasn't a crossover at any point and was seamless... the level of depth you can hear is amazing.... problem being the SCM25s midrange was noticable...I spent more time going "wow" than mixing.

I could also sit and say how my Opals literally let me sit and mix for hours without thinking too much, I just listen and make decisions and those decisions so far - are right. When I auditioned the Opals I didn't turn them on and go "wow" I literally did mixes and looked for results.

Bottom line... the Opals work for me. I'm always up for listening to new speakers but until they start creating better mixes .... "just listening" and "specs" seem like a never ending argument.
Old 13th July 2011
gvr
Gear Head

@lucey I wasn't putting anyone down - in my case I'm spending my personal $ and my risk tolerance is low and customer care exp high. It just doesn't seem like a good fit given my needs.

I don't understand in what sense you mean ATC and Event are following Barefoot. Are you saying you prefer the MM27 over the SCM25? I haven't heard either one.

Best
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm07 View Post
The SCM25s vs Opals (which I own) is a interesting debate - again one that should only be decided by translation results. I can sit here and tell everyone about how the midrange on the SCM25s felt more detailed than the Opals and felt like there wasn't a crossover at any point and was seamless... the level of depth you can hear is amazing.... problem being the SCM25s midrange was noticable...I spent more time going "wow" than mixing.

I could also sit and say how my Opals literally let me sit and mix for hours without thinking too much, I just listen and make decisions and those decisions so far - are right. When I auditioned the Opals I didn't turn them on and go "wow" I literally did mixes and looked for results.
This is a classic case of why speakers are such a subjective choice.

Some might like super detail (to the point of another person saying they're 'harsh'), but if no consumer has such a speaker in their home, car, ipod, what's the point? They're not gonna hear what you hear.

For me, I kinda want the middle ground, not too detailed (which also starts to get fatiguing to me), not too soft/warm (to the point I'm struggling with details), kinda the Goldilocks monitor. Sure I could have a more detailed monitor for tracking duties, and in fact I have 6 pairs of monitors of which some are more detailed. But when it comes to mixing I need the middle ground.

The Opals are still more detailed and revealing than any consumer speaker i've heard, but not to the point of sounding like a microscope on everything. I want balance relative to what most people have. That balance includes a low end, mid range and highs that sound like they are all coming from the same monitor. Having awesome detailed mids/highs, with an anemic low end is not balanced to me. Especially since I consider the low end the hardest spectrum to mix/master. Today there's no excuse to roll off the lows, practically every consumer listens to music at home on a system that has extended lows, even if it's sloppy and uneven (cheap), it's there.

I think lucey has his 'taste', and far too often seems to equate the monitors that tops his 'taste' as the 'best' or 'better'. He forgets how subjective monitors can be. I like my Opals. Do I have monitors in my collection that are more detailed, more microscopic than my Opals? Yes. Do I want to mix on them? No. For someone else's 'taste', they might feel the exact opposite.

Let's not forget that everyone hears differently too. Everyone's hearing will differ quite a bit. Someone who has some dips in the midrange may prefer a more detailed monitor, another who doesn't, maybe not. etc.
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Addict

I'm happy with my Opals. I've had them almost a year now and they are one of the best audio decisions I have made. They work for me very well...

Honestly, You can get caught up in the this and that of it all and point to spec sheet after price tag, (pardon the mixed metaphor), but at the end of the day, you need to be happy on what you're using.
Old 13th July 2011
gvr
Gear Head

@danander I agree, but at the moment you cant get hold of Opals. I'm personally considering either Adam S3x-h or K+H 0300 for near/mid field use since they're both in stock.
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
@danander I agree, but at the moment you cant get hold of Opals. I'm personally considering either Adam S3x-h or K+H 0300 for near/mid field use since they're both in stock.
Do you prefer the low end of a ported or sealed design?
Old 13th July 2011
gvr
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Do you prefer the low end of a ported or sealed design?
I have no strong preference, ported is ok as well if done right! (Currently trying to figure out which ones have good dispersion characteristics and wide sweet spot for midfield use.)
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

still using my Opals and LOVING them. been about two years now i believe... maybe more. i've heard 0300D's and i do prefer them, but not enough to want to deal with selling the opals and re-learning the 0300D's.

honestly i do not think i will ever sell these boxes... they are just great. the only other things i will ever get are completely next level.. Lipinski 707's! they have them at a mastering house here outside DC and boy let me tell you, they are the best sounding speakers i have heard in my life! totally different league, though.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

The only thing I don't like with Opals is, they sound a bit too bright at around 5-8KHz. It's kinda not natural for me... but anyway, now I have them so I'll keep them for a while.

Oh and... I find Opals to not reveal the reverbs nicely... if I mix reverbs on them alone, I always add them too much.

Anyone else thinks the same?
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purusha View Post
The only thing I don't like with Opals is, they sound a bit too bright at around 5-8KHz. It's kinda not natural for me... but anyway, now I have them so I'll keep them for a while.

Oh and... I find Opals to not reveal the reverbs nicely... if I mix reverbs on them alone, I always add them too much.

Anyone else thinks the same?
I would have thought that if you found them a little bright (5-8K), then they would probably reveal reverbs MORE than they really are.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Not really

...upper freqs are more in the face, but not the reverbs.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Will the Opals come back to production one day ?
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

They stopped making them already?
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

I've been told there's a holdup in production due to parts that has been going on since January.

I am still impressed with mine, have heard the Neumann 0300 but look forward to hearing the 0410. What are they, about $4500 per cabinet?
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

I really can not agree with the too bright comment. I think they are very natural up top.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Compared to Focals they sound a bit hyped. I find Twins much more natural sounding.
Old 8th August 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Will the Opals come back to production one day ?
I am told possibly September they will move another batch out, yes I think there is a parts source issue and is holding them up. Actually, the Opal have always been pretty hard to source! I don't think they make enough of them.

War
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Supposedly the tweeters (or parts of the tweeters) are sourced from a manufacture in or near Fukushima

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search