The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Brand recommendations for an 8 ch snake...
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

Brand recommendations for an 8 ch snake...

Hi, I'm in the market for a 50' 8 ch snake and I was hoping some of you sluts could point me in the direction of some of the better brands to check out. I don't need the end all, top o da line $5,000 gold plated, titanium reinforced, liquid cooled, solid fuel burning snake from Hell. Just one that is of better than average quality and will not be stealing some sheen off of the audio because theyre made of chicken wire.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

I try to use whirlwind whenever possible. Not a problem yet.
Old 1st February 2003
Canare 2 conductor.
Old 1st February 2003
Gear Guru

Rapco makes very good affordable snakes.
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

if you're up for making it yourself, buy mogami 8 pair, Mogami 8 Pair wire
This is honestly very easy to work with, very high quality and is still reasonable. It is probably used in more studios than any other wire company.

You can also have someone make it up for you...the company that is on the link, Pacific Radio has a wire department that does this as well...I have never mailed ordered through this company, but I have been there quite a few times and they are great people....
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

Canadian-made Radial is great quality, really easy to work with and pretty affordable. The hand is not as decadent smooth as the Mogami but it's more robust and if it's to stash under the floor anyway... Also it always comes with 1 more channel than normal, so the 8 pair cable actually has 9 channels which is great (especially live) in the event the snake gets roughed out and one channel goes down.

I've used Radial for all permanent wiring and Mogami for the short snakes that get used to patch stuff in the CR or in the live room because it handles so great.

Mogami cables might have a bit lower capacitance which might be cool for long runs of mic level signal though.

Good luck!
Old 1st February 2003
Han
Lives for gear

MOGAMI anytime!
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

Rapco...for the money...and they customize for your order to the factory........
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

If you can use an iron you should make your own. You'll end up with much better cables. Along with Canare and Mogami you should look into the Gepco stuff. I used it to wire up my console and outboard to the patchbay and it came out great. Really nice stuff and it's easy to work with also.
Old 1st February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Isn't it true that most audio wiring comes from one or two companies (Belden and Mogami), then contracted out to all the others who build them to their own spec? And cover them with their own sleeving/print? Not to say that cable quality doesn't vary from company to comany, 'cos it def does.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search