The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gunter Wagner U47/ ORIGINAL NEUMANN U47 / NUEMANN M149
Old 19th January 2005
Gear Addict

Gunter Wagner U47/ ORIGINAL NEUMANN U47 / NUEMANN M149

Hi music people,

has anyone compared the Gunter Wagner U47 to the original Neumann U47?
How does Gunter Wagner U47 sound, is it as good as the original U47?

I have heard the Neumann U47 and it sounds amazing i want one now but i cannot find one, so i am looking at Gunter Wagner U47

any comments please !

Thanks to you all in advance
Old 19th January 2005
Gear Head

Hi John

Try this. www.german-tubemics.com or

[email protected]

Old 19th January 2005
Lives for gear

The wagner is EVERY damn bit as good as a REAL u47... they are made from NOS part.. well im sure he has or is about to run out them them soon. They are SILENT in terms of noise floor and S/N and its like listening to nothin except when someone speaks into it.. amazing

If i were in the market i would pony for one of these babies in a heartbeat, they are thay good!

Wiggy
Old 19th January 2005
Gear Addict

DO you have one wiggy
Old 19th January 2005
Gear Addict

John,

I think I know how you feel, I wanted a
U-47 and had no way to really compare microphones.

Gunter Wagner did supply me with a list of people that
use his U-47 and I did spend some time contacting them
to get their feelings for this microphone.

While this is not real science I can say that everyone I contacted
raved about the Wagner U-47 and that this did convince me
to purchase one .

I ordered a short body/ satin top with the K47 capsule
Serial #079 and I am 8 weeks into a 12 / 14 week wait
for this microphone.

The cost is 5540.00 including 190.00 shipping
I had to pay 10% down 554.00 to start the order

Good luck with your quest.
Old 19th January 2005
Lives for gear

I compared my 47fet to a Wagner 47 a while ago, the differences were just what I was expecting - the Wagner had more "life" in the upper mids, really nice. I do not want to spend the money on the wagner though, for me it´s the 47fet with some processing that gets me closer to the tube47 sound...

rock on!
p.
Old 20th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Wiggy....NOS VF14s and BV8s???

Really???

Got to say I'm EXTREMELY sceptical .... but then maybe that's not what you meant?

Cheers,

Vari-Mu
Old 20th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi John.
Hmm.

I bought a Wagner U47 in November. I posted here re this at the time - mainly as I was in shock.

To briefly re-iterate, Gunter distributes Brauner mics over here (er...Australia that is...), and I was wanting to demo a Brauner. I'd read about Gunter's mic, and was curious - so he let me take one of each home to demo. As I said in my post, I thought he was a nice guy....but I believe he knew what would happen. Damn. I ended up buying both mics and ate breadcrumbs for Christmas (thanks Gunter!).
Seriously? IMHO I'd buy one if I was you. Gunter is only doing a limited run of these meticulously, lovingly, carefully,beautifully, crafted mics.
You won't regret it.
But you might have to forgo butter on your bread.
Your subscription to Foxtell (crappy movies anyway), drink beer instead of whiskey, and only two weetabix for breakfast for a while.
It's worth it.
Let me underline that - what are you doing eating weetabix anyway?

thumbsup
Kind regards
Old 20th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Hmm.
P.S.
Personally, since I bought one of Gunters U47's my social life has improved 100% - but that's probably because I've not been going out.
Attached Thumbnails
Gunter Wagner U47/ ORIGINAL NEUMANN U47 / NUEMANN M149-wagneru47.jpg  
Old 20th January 2005
Gear Head

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WildCowboys
I compared my 47fet to a Wagner 47 a while ago, the differences were just what I was expecting - the Wagner had more "life" in the upper mids, really nice. I do not want to spend the money on the wagner though, for me it´s the 47fet with some processing that gets me closer to the tube47 sound...

Hi WildCwboys

what processing do you recommend to get the 47fet closer to the tube 47 sound? Thanks for your input.

heh
Old 20th January 2005
Lives for gear

al,
anything that generates some harmonics to brighten up the midrange and upper midrange. a hint of BBE or Aphex Exciter can be really nice if you do not overdo it. I always use a little deessing before any exciter. I also like my SPL charisma, a tube processor that is pretty awesome. also simply using a good eq setting to brighten up the sound is ok if you do not want to use exciters...the two high-frequency controls of my avalon 747 graphic-EQ are great for this job...

nothing will give you the exact sound of a tube47, but you get much closer and you have a bunch of sound options.

but I have to admit that lately I am using my soundelux u99b on most sources I was using the 47fet for, especially vocals.

rock on!
P.
Old 20th January 2005
Lives for gear

man, stedel, don´t give us the "poor boy" story here and then post a photo of your wagner in front of a slam and massive passive.....

;-)

Rock on!
P.
Old 20th January 2005
Lives for gear

Vari MU...

I dont own one, but i have used them a few times when i was back living in OZ.. Many mate own them and these guys are people who have used and or owned the real deal original ganster 47's over th eyears ands would not hesitate to either buy a wagner to compliment thier existing stock of mics or just to get a mic that is equally as good as a real one. The central problem here is that people's perceptions of what makes a GOOD or GREAT sounding 47 (like all good gear) is cluded by the fact that all this gear when being listend to is prolly in need of

A) recap
B)capsule cleaning
C) genral maintenance etc.

Buy buying a wagner u r getting a mic that is seriously amazing and truew tot he 47 tone and sound in every sense of the word.

To parapharase ..rather poorly i might add!!!.... be a slut and "Just Do It"

Wiggy
Old 20th January 2005
Lives for gear

I have 3, 2 U47w's and a K Cap.

What can I say about these mics, well try this...

U47w ---> 1073 ---> 1176 = Wet Pants

Peace

DD
Old 20th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by WildCowboys
man, stedel, don´t give us the "poor boy" story here and then post a photo of your wagner in front of a slam and massive passive.....

;-)

Rock on!
P.
Hey....1....teeu....3....4....:

I'm just a poor boy, tryin' to record in this world...
I'm just a poor boy a second hand car - do I care?
Got me a mic and a SLAM that goes wham,
You know we all do the best that we can...
I'm just a poor boy tryin' to record in this world

Aint got no console as big as a park....
No genuine Neve's to light up the dark
And no way yet of summing my mix
Still stuck in the box tryin' to find a fix
Won't somebody send me and my 24 tracks
To a Chandler Mixer that should be in my racks
I'm just a poor boy
Tryin' to record in this world

Said I'm just a poor boy, tryin' to record in this world
Yeah just a poor boy all the money I earnt, well it's gone
All those wildcowboys you know they can ride
A hot SPL .... you know they don't hide...
But me I'm in heaven with my U47
I've only got one, some people have seven
I'm just a poor boy tryin' to record in this world.

Yeah,
Just a poor boy
That's right baby
Just a poor boy...
Tryin' to record in this world.

Old 20th January 2005
LOL

That is great....

Old 21st January 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:

rock on!
p.

Hi wildCowboys,
what do you mean when you say you U47fet gets closer to the sound?
Could you explain how the Wagner sounded and why it did not do it for you
Please?

John.
Old 21st January 2005
Lives for gear

wow stedel, you don´t just have money, you also got too much time, hehe!!! great freestyle, but tell me, is that a blues or a rap?

john,
the wagner absolutely did it for me! I just do not have the cash to buy one. If I had cash and had to choose between all types of 47 mics the wagner would most probably be the one. and there are a lot of 47 mics from various manufacturers out.
by "closer to the sound" I mean that the wagner has a special mid- and upper midrange. "more" maybe. a smart EQ setting gets you closer, as does an exciter of some kind. aphex, bbe, hedd, spectralizer, spl charisma.
rock on!
P.
Old 21st January 2005
Lives for gear

Firstly, I don't own a Wagner and have never seen one in the flesh let alone heard one.

However, as I too have been much intrigued by Gunter's mics, I sent him an email and wrote a whole lot of purile questions which he:

a) Responded to same day (a Sunday)
b) Did so in an friendly and informative manner
c) Made several slightly (but barely) tongue-in-cheek comments about much of what passes for the "professional audio industry"
d) Wished me all the very best with the rest of my life though I lacked the funds to purchase one

A Wagner is still a little out of my reach but I would do business with this man any day of the week.

Cheers,

bdp
Old 21st January 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
wow stedel, you don´t just have money, you also got too much time, hehe!!! great freestyle, but tell me, is that a blues or a rap?

john,
the wagner absolutely did it for me! I just do not have the cash to buy one. If I had cash and had to choose between all types of 47 mics the wagner would most probably be the one. and there are a lot of 47 mics from various manufacturers out.
by "closer to the sound" I mean that the wagner has a special mid- and upper midrange. "more" maybe. a smart EQ setting gets you closer, as does an exciter of some kind. aphex, bbe, hedd, spectralizer, spl charisma.
rock on!
P.
Hi wildcowboys.
Y'know I'm not some rich kid just off the block.And as far as your statement is concerned it would be more accurate to say I had money! The "blues/rap"? that must have been thirty seconds worth off the top of my head, erm, the "worth" of which is VERY debatable!

John - (if you read this) y'know, it all comes down to knowing what you want - why, for instance you think you want a U47 in the first place. I mean that's a fairly specific desire.
You should have enough info re Gunters mic by now to know that it is what it is. Most people who have bought one either own original U47's already, or at least have worked in studio's with original U47's. You should know also that just about everybody who has bought one had the opportunity to audition the mic - in my case i had it for a week and a half. And I know of nobody who has been dissapointed in their decision.
For me it meant I totally blew my budget - which although wildcowboys makes light of this - was a serious issue. And it's meant sacrifices and tightening of an already tight belt. But no pain no gain right?
So maybe you should ask yourself again why you want a U47 (Gunter's or anybody elses) in the first place. From direct experience of using one yourself? - or thinking maybe you should have one because lots of other people -particularly in a "high end" forum - say wow great mic.
Life's too short man....

"There was a dog in ancient Rome,
He had a bone - he had another.."
Devo
(You should know the rest!!!!)
Kind regards
Old 14th October 2006
guys

I'm not even in the game

To afford this (The Best) i would have to win the lottery - *sigh* i can dream

BUT give me a number! jack said 5540 pre shipping - what currency?
Old 14th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Price has gone up i'm afraid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter Wagner e-mail
Price:
Price for the complete U47w set with cable, power supply (115V/230V), high quality shockmount, capsule protection 'sock' and a special made transport case (all as shown on the attached image) is EUR 4850 / USD 6180 / AUD 8190 (all prices ex works Sydney exclusive VAT/GST/IVA).
Old 26th October 2006
Gear Addict

U47/CM7/U67/U87ai/New TLM49 in session

All day Session with pro players on acoustic guitar,vocals,percusion, and Sax with U47/CM7/U67/U87ai/New TLM49
Check this out!
U87ai/New TLM49 this is what i have to say tutt U87 tutt TLM49 just dead hard hash thin lacking bass no bodi brittle small flat no warmth no music

U47/CM7/U67/ sound like MF BAD the best mic sound in the world i still have not heard better, we have now tried over 10 TOP different microphones
Old 29th October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys View Post
al,
anything that generates some harmonics to brighten up the midrange and upper midrange. a hint of BBE or Aphex Exciter can be really nice if you do not overdo it. I always use a little deessing before any exciter. I also like my SPL charisma, a tube processor that is pretty awesome. also simply using a good eq setting to brighten up the sound is ok if you do not want to use exciters...the two high-frequency controls of my avalon 747 graphic-EQ are great for this job...

nothing will give you the exact sound of a tube47, but you get much closer and you have a bunch of sound options.

but I have to admit that lately I am using my soundelux u99b on most sources I was using the 47fet for, especially vocals.

rock on!
P.

Wild Cowboys !!!!
In your comments above which do you prefer with the u47 fet, would the BBE have less noise than the aphex running post, ? also i assume you would run the BBE right after the Pre instead using the BBE as a insert.
Old 30th October 2006
Lives for gear

hi zaza! I have not compared bbe and aphex side by side...the BBE seems to alter the frequency balance more, like halfway between an eq and an exciter. The aphex leaves the balance more intact and just adds it´s sparkle. actually on the 47fet I like the BBE because the eq-ish thing it does really suits the 47 - although I really, really use it just a tiny bit...

rock!
p.
Old 30th October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
hi zaza! I have not compared bbe and aphex side by side...the BBE seems to alter the frequency balance more, like halfway between an eq and an exciter. The aphex leaves the balance more intact and just adds it´s sparkle. actually on the 47fet I like the BBE because the eq-ish thing it does really suits the 47 - although I really, really use it just a tiny bit...

rock!
p.

WC !! THANKS A BUNCH, i will have to try that out.
Old 4th November 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:

john,
rock on!
P.

Wild Cowboys
I have not tried a BBE yet but however i did find another trick to get the sound you might be looking for, try running the u47 fet with the impedance at 50 inphase, i love the results, nice deep lows while the mids have a nice edge, something you cannot get leaving the impedance normal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search