The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland RSS 303 Reverb unit... Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 24th July 2008
Lives for gear

Roland RSS 303 Reverb unit...

Anyone know of this very unique piece of gear? What do you know of it and how's your experience with it?

I know its no 480L, but this RSS thing IS sort of fascinating.

I get great 3-D result from my RSS 10

-andrews
Old 25th July 2008
Gear Addict

Is the RSS 10 that thing with the wheels on it? I used to work at a jingle house that would slap that thing over the final mix to "blow away" the clients. It always worked.
Old 25th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosi View Post
Is the RSS 10 that thing with the wheels on it? I used to work at a jingle house that would slap that thing over the final mix to "blow away" the clients. It always worked.
That may have been another unit from their RSS line, but this one is dedicated reverb unit using that 3-D RSS process.

Really pretty amazing sound!

When I hunted own the Roland RSS-10, I found out that they were so rare because Pink Floyd tried to buy up as many as they could!

Amazing secret...ish weapon.

Nothing else really does anything like it. It never caught on, I thik because people just didn't know what to make of it, but it really does sound 3-D

-andrews
Old 26th July 2008
Gear Addict

This RSS unit I'm thinking of was more of a Qsound type of thing. From what I remember, it had a wheel for the phase adjust of the left and right signals.
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Anyone know of this very unique piece of gear?
Yep, I own one! My unit is labeled "Rogers," Roland's organ brand (in at least Canada), and my unit has the cables to use the dedicated organ inputs. I do not have the necessary organ, nor can I play one, nor do I want one. I have not tried to input signals on these ports.

Quote:
What do you know of it and how's your experience with it?
My experience of it is that it is a sweet-sounding unit - certainly a level of advancement and refinement over the Roland RSS-10 (which I also own and use with a Roland MCR-8 controller).

Since I do not use it in quad, I have used the additional outs to drive modulation effects to mix with the main outs for added swirl, and with the phase and microdelay stuff that is going on already, the results can be lovely in a way that my Lexicon, t.c. electronic, Sony, and Eventide stuff is not.

Quote:
I know its no 480L, but this RSS thing IS sort of fascinating. I get great 3-D result from my RSS 10
I agree - I think the RSS stuff is interesting. I have used the motion control apps for the RSS-10 to create doppler motion paths for electronic mixes that sound superb to my ear. I think it has a hyperreal tone that works for those kinds of productions. I also love using it to spin a sound in a circle far away from the listener in order to get fine-tuned pitch-shift warble for wow and flutter-like effects on drones and pads.

The RSS-303 is more a "standard" unit in that it does 16 spaces with 16 wall types. That said, the "cosmic" space can be (ab)used to good effect with some post-processing! I also like that you can tweak the system ID to change the algo seed and do a double-bounce for added thickness. I appreciate the front panel knob control for EQ. I think the modeled spaces sound good.

Speaking of RSS, I also make use of a SRV-330 Dimensional Reverb, SDE-330 Dimensional Delay, and SDX-330 Dimensional Expander (fab!). I'd love to have an original RSS System!

I don't know anyone else with the RSS-303 - it seems to be a rare piece. I like Roland effects and I like RSS. I own a few reverbs from a few makers, but the RSS-303 (and RSS-10) have a sound that is all their own, and they are much appreciated by me.

cheers,
Ian
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux View Post
Yep, I own one! My unit is labeled "Rogers," Roland's organ brand (in at least Canada), and my unit has the cables to use the dedicated organ inputs. I do not have the necessary organ, nor can I play one, nor do I want one. I have not tried to input signals on these ports.

My experience of it is that it is a sweet-sounding unit - certainly a level of advancement and refinement over the Roland RSS-10 (which I also own and use with a Roland MCR-8 controller).

Since I do not use it in quad, I have used the additional outs to drive modulation effects to mix with the main outs for added swirl, and with the phase and microdelay stuff that is going on already, the results can be lovely in a way that my Lexicon, t.c. electronic, Sony, and Eventide stuff is not.

I agree - I think the RSS stuff is interesting. I have used the motion control apps for the RSS-10 to create doppler motion paths for electronic mixes that sound superb to my ear. I think it has a hyperreal tone that works for those kinds of productions. I also love using it to spin a sound in a circle far away from the listener in order to get fine-tuned pitch-shift warble for wow and flutter-like effects on drones and pads.

The RSS-303 is more a "standard" unit in that it does 16 spaces with 16 wall types. That said, the "cosmic" space can be (ab)used to good effect with some post-processing! I also like that you can tweak the system ID to change the algo seed and do a double-bounce for added thickness. I appreciate the front panel knob control for EQ. I think the modeled spaces sound good.

Speaking of RSS, I also make use of a SRV-330 Dimensional Reverb, SDE-330 Dimensional Delay, and SDX-330 Dimensional Expander (fab!). I'd love to have an original RSS System!

I don't know anyone else with the RSS-303 - it seems to be a rare piece. I like Roland effects and I like RSS. I own a few reverbs from a few makers, but the RSS-303 (and RSS-10) have a sound that is all their own, and they are much appreciated by me.

cheers,
Ian
RSS users unite!

Do you find that the 303 give you that same 3-D outside the speakers space as the RSS-10?

-andrews
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you find that the 303 give you that same 3-D outside the speakers space as the RSS-10?
Absolutely. If you consult the RSS-303 manual, you will see that a major market focus of the device was to provide ambience for smaller churches such that they could have e.g., a cathedral sound. One way the RSS-303 does this is the RSS process - the other is the use of 4 speakers. While this does not approach the multi-speaker power of the original RSS system, it is a step up from the RSS-10 as it concerns "a place in space." The RSS-10 still has the 3D edge as it concerns "movement through space." Both very much have the "outside the speakers" sound.

cheers,
Ian
Old 28th July 2008
Lives for gear
well, I have a new Roland SRV330 and its pretty MEDIOCRE! Bought an Orban 111b....now, THAT'S A REVERB!
Old 28th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude G. View Post
well, I have a new Roland SRV330 and its pretty MEDIOCRE! Bought an Orban 111b....now, THAT'S A REVERB!
Different beast altogether.

-a
Old 28th July 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Different beast altogether.

-a

Yeah....thank God!
Old 28th July 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, the Roland RSS 303 is more like how the Lexicon 480L was to the PCM 90... they t=did have the R-80, but the 3-D RSS trick is a WHOLE new game!

-andrews
Old 28th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux View Post
Absolutely. If you consult the RSS-303 manual, you will see that a major market focus of the device was to provide ambience for smaller churches such that they could have e.g., a cathedral sound. One way the RSS-303 does this is the RSS process - the other is the use of 4 speakers. While this does not approach the multi-speaker power of the original RSS system, it is a step up from the RSS-10 as it concerns "a place in space." The RSS-10 still has the 3D edge as it concerns "movement through space." Both very much have the "outside the speakers" sound.

cheers,
Ian
So, I assume you too use it as a stereo unit (and not the 4-speaker ability), you still like the RSS 3-D uality it gives when used as a stereo reverb?

-andrews
Old 29th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, I assume you too use it as a stereo unit (and not the 4-speaker ability), you still like the RSS 3-D uality it gives when used as a stereo reverb?
Very much so. The RSS-303 has a main stereo out in addition to the front/rear stereo outs - in total, it has 6 outputs. I tend to use the main stereo out most often.

That said, use of the front/rear stereo outs is fun if you are into post-processing your aux return. I use the rear outs as is, then process the front outs with e.g., Roland SDD-320 Dimension D, Eventide H8000FW, Roland SDX-330, or Roland RSS-10, then mix the front/rear for color and swirl.

Aside from the space and material settings in the unit, there is also a system parameter ("field") that changes the RSS response to adjust for the acoustic environment it is used in. It becomes another "color" tool when the RSS-303 is being used as a stereo aux - an application in which I find it quite effective.

cheers,
Ian
Old 8th May 2010
Gear Nut

Hi There Aeonlux,

I know this tread is like 2 years old but I thought I would try my luck anyway.

I see you are obviously a huge fan of the RSS stuff so you may be able to be of assistance. I recently picked up an RSS-10 but have still not been able to get the control software working.

I have read a thread on gearslutz about guys using PC emulators on intel based macs to run the PC software under windows 98 and this apparently works. I have revived an old PC with 98 on but have been having trouble getting it to see my midi interface and it has just generally been fraught with problems (which I won't bore you with).

You mentioned here that you use an MCR-8 controller. Does this do everything that the software does (or at least the most important/used functions). I know they are very rare to find but on the off chance, do you have ANY idea where I might find one. Looked in all the usual places for a couple of months now (ebay, craiglist, sos, 2nd hand shops you name it).

Any help much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Gavin Goldberg
Old 18th September 2010
Gear Head

hi,

I'm another soon-to-be RSS-10 owner, and I'm also looking for the best way to edit the box.

There's an entry at Harmony Central Reviews that says:
"the software runs on XP @#$_(&?>;?>';]howcanthatbe^[email protected]%5%5pawn shop no software99 somebody e-mailed me the software%%9&98GeT It Cheap LoSe YoUr MiNd"

Is it really possible to run the software on win XP ?
Old 19th September 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earslut View Post
Is it really possible to run the software on win XP ?
No. You can use it on a win98 or win98se vmware virtual machine. You also need a MIDI interface that has win98 drivers, like UM-1EX. Works perfectly for me with UM-3EX on a Win98SE VM.
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Head

There was also an RSS stereo spring reverb unit.
My band bought one 2nd hand in the early eighties. It was very prone to feedback and had to be placed on a pillow. Didn't get much use and was replaced by an SRV-2000.
I think the RSS must be in storage somewhere.
How did this unit sound in a studio application?
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
No. You can use it on a win98 or win98se vmware virtual machine. You also need a MIDI interface that has win98 drivers, like UM-1EX. Works perfectly for me with UM-3EX on a Win98SE VM.
Thanks the software works now.

Are all RSS-10 rather noisy or is my Unit damaged ?
I´m connecting the mono out of my RS-7000 to the jack input A of the RSS-10 and the jack output of the RSS-10 into my mixer.

Then I set the input level of the RSS-10 to max and the output of the RS-7000 also to max.
When I activate the Demo function of the RSS-10 it results in a very noisy Sound, and the RS-7000 voice is heard only quiet.

When I activate Bypass or set the Output to Binaural, the Sound is alright.

Am I doing something wrong with the connection ?

And is there a Test Mode on the RSS-10 ?
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Head

when I turn down the reverb the noise gets down too, could it be that the reverb device is damaged ?
Old 23rd September 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Hmm that's strange. It's definitely not the quietest, but it's not terribly noisy either, shouldn't be. Could you post a little wav or aiff file, original dry sample and one processed with one of the demo presets? (I forgot they even exist ) I can run the dry sample through mine with the same preset.
Old 24th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Hmm that's strange. It's definitely not the quietest, but it's not terribly noisy either, shouldn't be. Could you post a little wav or aiff file, original dry sample and one processed with one of the demo presets? (I forgot they even exist ) I can run the dry sample through mine with the same preset.
Thanks Shy,

I will mess around with the RSS on the Weekend and post the samples
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Head

Here's the original wav file that I created.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

I will send it now thru my unit and post the result then.
Old 13th October 2010
Old 13th October 2010
Old 13th October 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

There's something very wrong, definitely, that's a huge amount of noise. Whoever sold it to you is a major asshole. Hopefully someone knows how to fix that. This is how it should sound.
Attached Files

demo57.wav (2.69 MB, 2141 views)

demo63.wav (2.69 MB, 2200 views)

Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorn View Post
There was also an RSS stereo spring reverb unit.
My band bought one 2nd hand in the early eighties. It was very prone to feedback and had to be placed on a pillow. Didn't get much use and was replaced by an SRV-2000.
I think the RSS must be in storage somewhere.
How did this unit sound in a studio application?
That's the mighty RV-800, I've got one, no problem with feedback here. It's a great real stereo spring, with individual panning of dry and wet signals per channel, compresion (pre, post or both) and lots of in/outs level options.
It sounds more like a plate than a spring though... it was in the RSS serie like the dimension D, and other Roland racks from the same era.
Old 14th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
There's something very wrong, definitely, that's a huge amount of noise. Whoever sold it to you is a major asshole. Hopefully someone knows how to fix that. This is how it should sound.
thanks again,

at least now I know that there's something wrong with mine
Old 9th November 2010
Gear Head

the Unit went back to Roland for repair, now it sounds like this
Attached Files

newpreset57.wav (6.73 MB, 1778 views)

newpreset63.wav (6.73 MB, 1768 views)

Old 18th November 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Wow, Roland still repairs such a long abandoned product? Great, enjoy it.
Old 18th November 2010
Quote:
Wow, Roland still repairs such a long abandoned product? Great, enjoy it.
And Roland did it inside a month. Amazing. All credit to them..
I hope you're enjoying your units. This thread has peaked my curiosity!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search