The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For the Acousticians - Geodesic Domes Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

All this talk of the evils of domes makes me wonder if the answer isn't going to the opposite end of the spectrum: through rectangle all the way to saddle-shapes, where the corners are the farthest point of the walls.

Seems like a room with all saddle-shaped walls, with heavy absorption in the corners, would be the optimum environment as each wall would be a primary broadband diffusor and the corners would be near-perfect traps.
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

what do you guys reckon about this place
its one of my holiday houses in the mountains
i think it sounds pretty good in there
unfortunately i dont have a clip of the recording
werent using the best gear, ashton mics and boss BR1600

Old 27th October 2007
Gear Maniac

I wouldn't reckon. I'd just go straight to the balcony and plunge myself into the abyss.

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 27th October 2007
Inspirational architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Nightshade View Post
From a musician's standpoint, there's a lot to be said for an inspirational place to play! And record. And why not start with the architecture.
That's precisely what I plan to do. Check out this floorplan: . Here's a 3d rendering of the Music Room: . The acoustic cloud is a dome that's been unwrapped so that it's mostly flat (+9", 0", -9"). The diamond shapes, in case you are curious, are made with golden ratio angles.

As to the idea of building thin walls to let the bass out...that let's the bass in! We'll have 20" thick walls ensure good acoustic isolation, with RPG block diffusors built into the walls (as well as moveable BAD panels).
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
I live in a geodesic dome. It was built in 1967 by Pao who created the Smurfs. Everything is electric blue. there are Smurf sized doors that go to storage rooms. The acoustics are madening. If you walk in the front door and some one whispers upstairs, It sounds like they are in your head. If you're six feet from the kitchen and want to speek to some one cooking, You have to yell.
Peter

"We live in the Smurf house". Now that's a conversation starter.
Old 27th October 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Making a dome that would be massive enough to be soundproof would be difficult and very expensive, probably considerably more so than conventional construction.
Actually no. There is a method that is cheaper than conventional construction. A large membrane is inflated and layered with concrete. The membrane is deflated when the concrete has cured and bammo, a dome.

http://www.monolithic.com/
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peat View Post
what do you guys reckon about this place
Too many nearby reflecting surfaces. Absorption (and diffusion) and bass traps could make a big difference though, and turn it into a decent sounding space.

--Ethan
Old 27th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterodox View Post
Good and well, but I'm sure the basic acoustic designs have matured a bit since 1967 - architecturally and material wise. No?
No. The old greeks were better at it.
Old 27th October 2007
Lives for gear

what if you turned epcot center inside out with the pyramids, that would diffuse this focus that people are talking about right?

what I really want to do is buy a large property in the middle of nowhere and build a studio from shipping containers(like legos)

Edit: reads rest of thread, backs away slowly...
Old 22nd March 2019
Here for the gear
Sorry to resurect this thread, but I think I have an obvious solution to the dome/studio problem... Since the mega node would be focused in a single place, it seems like it would be easy to treat, simply by placing a single convex shape there, i.e. placing a secondary, smaller dome in the center. This could serve as the control room.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbler View Post
Sorry to resurect this thread, but I think I have an obvious solution to the dome/studio problem... Since the mega node would be focused in a single place, it seems like it would be easy to treat, simply by placing a single convex shape there, i.e. placing a secondary, smaller dome in the center. This could serve as the control room.
Wouldn’t the smaller dome shaped control room have all sorts of acoustic issues for those inside?
Old 23rd March 2019
Test for resonance with a sine wave generator, speaker and a db meter. If it resonates at 110 hz, you have the magic formula that has been found in ancient structures all over the world.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

the "Dome" studios near 3 mile island in pa ..plus a studio i stopped in in Albuquerque were geo's

Dome Sound Studios 610-322-8403 [email protected]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search