The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Radar 24 as front end for PT
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Radar 24 as front end for PT

Anyone using Radar24 as a F/E for Pro Tools? I'd like to here from some of you who are doing this. Thinking about a similar setup. Are you tracking to Radar and then traferring the file to PT for mixing? Or is there a way to bypass tracking to Radar and go directly into Pro Tools? Trying to see the best and most cost effective way to configure this. If get a Radar system as a front end will I still need to by converters for Pro Tools when I do my editing and such or can I use the Radar converters to go out to an external mixer for monitoring.

Thanks
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Mike Tholen stated in another thread that he does this.. Mike?
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

JYoder,
Thanks for the reply....
Care to elaborate on your signal path into Radar to Pro Tools. Not familiar with UFC or ADAT Bridge? Are you talking about Digi's ADAT Bridge?How would I use the Radar as a front end for Pro Tools?

THanks
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Guru

Why not record to the RADAR? that's what it's for.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
Why not record to the RADAR? that's what it's for.

jeez, that's what i was thinkin'... ESPECIALLY if you have the nyquist converters.

ml
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

OK, now that we've established that I probably should do the initial recording on the Radar and then just do file transfer to Pro Tools, would I still need to purchase additional converters to monitor my editing when I get the file into Pro Tools? Also, once I've finished editing, would I be able to use the DA converters on the Radar to mix individual tracks on my analog board. I'd like to be able to apply plug-ins on 24 pro tools tracks and somehow point those tracks to my analog mixer for mixing.

Thanks
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Yes, you can use a RADAR as a stand-alone converter box easily. Patch all your input sources to RADAR's analog ins, put it into "all input" monitoring mode and the sources will appear on RADAR's analog outs for monitoring, as well as it's digital outs to be patched into your Pro Tools interface. Patch your PT interface's digital outs into RADAR's digital ins, and select the digital source when you want to hear a playback from PT. HTH
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Which digital interface should I get for Pro Tools? Does it have to be Digidesign HW?
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Also what about clocking? will I also need something the sync clocks. Not really sure why or if I need this? Not really that savvy in what a sync/clocking devices does. I know clocking in SMPTE terms, just not as it relates to clocking between digital interfaces.
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

I simply use it as converters. as far as editing in RADAR goes, it sucks compared to PT.
no grid mode!
zooming in blows.
amongst others downfalls...but the converters absolutly kill!
So. I track-monitior through RADAR 24-Nyquist. the unit just sits in input.
I use the clock from RADAR to clock my PTHD.
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by digiman
Which digital interface should I get for Pro Tools? Does it have to be Digidesign HW?
and

Quote:
Originally posted by digiman
Also what about clocking? will I also need something the sync clocks. Not really sure why or if I need this? Not really that savvy in what a sync/clocking devices does. I know clocking in SMPTE terms, just not as it relates to clocking between digital interfaces.
Not to be mean, but you may wanna reconsider your handle!

Question 1: PT is a proprietary system, so (unless you want to import files into PT) you have to buy their "dongles" for direct connection (with a couple of exceptions).

Q2: If connected digitally, you're going to need to sync wordclock or specifically Digi's "Superclock" to avoid pops and clicks due to timing issues. What that clock is derived from is your choice...

Good Luck!
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Maniac

I was lucky enough to be invited to a VERY large church here in Houston after services to see their predominately private facility. I met the head techie and he is a really cool guy and likes to share knowledge much like people here . They are in the throws of a major, major move slash facility upgrade.

I spent about 4 hours talking and touring the video departments and audio studios(they have spent WAY more than a mil). The audio studios themselves are fairly small, a couple of control rooms-average size, a smallish overdub room and then a ton of video equipment.

I was entirely blown away by the scope of the systems and such but here is the relevant part. They record the sunday morning services live in A&V. The audio is recorded to PTHD through a RADAR Nyquist system and backed up by a PTMix+ and Adat in case of problems. They throw the radar material into HD and edit/mix from there, in the box.

They swear by the Nyquist converters and just got turned on to the Sony plugs and love them as well. I have seen the light and believe!

Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

The radar can only do one thing at a time. in other words, it can function as a 24 channel a/d into PT but it can't do 24 channels of d/a at the same time.
drew
Old 31st January 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
no grid mode!
Thank you for explaining everything that's wrong with modern recording.

Fuck "grid mode", fuck click tracks, fuck perfection...

"we all need something we can lean on..."
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
I was lucky enough to be invited to a VERY large church here in Houston after services to see their predominately private facility.
Why would a church need a $1.000.000 recording facility??. Dont they have more rather needy causes to spend that kind of money on.

Is this just an American thing? (I suspect it is)

If Jesus was walking the earth right now I dont think he would approve for one second
Old 31st January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Robinhood
Why would a church need a $1.000.000 recording facility??. Dont they have more rather needy causes to spend that kind of money on.

Is this just an American thing? (I suspect it is)

I dunno - St. Pauls Cathedral is mighty impressive (as was the Evensong services we attended there). And there's Notre Dame, St. Peter's Basilica, and a whole bunch of other churches in other parts of the world.

Many mega-churches in the US also broadcast services through television, do outreach programs to shut-ins through recordings, and even have touring gospel shows. Belive me - it's not hard to spend that kind of money on a recording facility with out it being just a jerk-off thing.

Besides, the idea that you can take money earmarked for capital expenditures and give them away to the needy doesn't work, and has never worked... After all, Mother Theresa spent most of her life and millions of aid dollars (mostly in the last two decades) working with the poor in India, and you know what? There are even more poor people there than when she started. On the other hand, those companies who invested in high tech communications and training for Tech Support people and programmers are bringing a LOT more hard money into the country, which certainly improves the quality of life there. So who has really done the most good there - a saint or a hard nosed capitalist?

Sorry for the digression - that's one of my pet peeves...
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

yeah no shit, sherlok.

but, when doing shit to picture as I'm often doing, I have to use a clit track.
and Grid mode is pretty damn useful.

what would you think if when you saw your favorite movie and all the cues were off?
dfegad
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Maniac

Whenever you point the finger, remember.....there's 3 pointing right back at ya!!

And at the end of the day......they never built a monument or erected a statue or even cannonised a critic!!

I'm not pushing any religious barrow, but so long as people make an effort to better humanity in whatever way, you have to at least give them credit.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Glorified tape copy boy
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear

Wow, we have a thread that shares the following topic, RADAR , PTHD, Clit tracks and Jesus!

I think GS has arrived!
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Maniac

Robinhood, I am biting my tongue as we are at GS and not PSW. However, you owe me an apology as I have never criticized your usage and your place in pro audio.

Can we keep this thread on the up and up guys?
Old 1st February 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Amen brother Fletcher, AMEN!
Old 2nd February 2003
Mindreader

I just did a session with Radar going to logic using converters whilst using radar as backup.

We had a thing with what appeared to be latency on the meters on the radar. Seemed late.

Was this just some wierd routing the studio had, or is that a 'feature' lol

It didn't matter 'cos we were going straight into logic for (yawn im doing it now zzzz) comping the stuff together.
Old 3rd February 2003
Lives for gear

AMEN!!!!!!!!!! Jesus doesn't lke auto tune!
Old 3rd February 2003
urumita

Grid mode changes with MIDI tempo data, in which you can program changes or with BeatDetective you can follow live tempo changes and the grid spaces change likewise. Pretty damn convenient. The Universe is Mental.
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
yeah no shit, sherlok.

but, when doing shit to picture as I'm often doing, I have to use a clit track.
and Grid mode is pretty damn useful.

what would you think if when you saw your favorite movie and all the cues were off?
dfegad
Mike,
Do you track to the Radar for music only gigs? Just curious.
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Robinhood, I am biting my tongue as we are at GS and not PSW. However, you owe me an apology as I have never criticized your usage and your place in pro audio.

I just had Jesus on the phone and I asked him if I should apologise to you.

He said "Love thy brother"

I hereby, firmly and honestly apologise to you

Now I also undertsand why churches have $1 mil recording facilities.

Whether they actually need such a high end facility and if jesus would approve remains to be seen.

Next time I'm on the phone with him I will aks him
Old 5th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Thanks, no big deal. My fault.
I broke the cardinal rule in proaudio forums:

"Thou shalt Never confess thy christiandom nor shall thy suggest that the Lord, thy God would use technology"
heh
Old 6th February 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
Thanks, no big deal. My fault.
I broke the cardinal rule in proaudio forums:

"Thou shalt Never confess thy christiandom nor shall thy suggest that the Lord, thy God would use technology"
heh
Ha-Ha, that's funny stuff!
Old 9th February 2003
Gear Head

I love tracking to Radar. Yea my PT is fine and yea it will do tracking, plug-ins, blah, blah blah. But, reaching for the Radar session controller is always my first choice.

Everyone has already mentioned the fact that the Radar converters are outstanding and that is part of the reason but what I like more than the quality is how easy it is to use. NOT being tied to a mouse and monitor allows me to focus more time on the session and the music and less time on the technology.

For me its the perfect front end because it does exactly what is was designed to do and it does it faster and reliablity. I guess it depends on how you like to work but for me the Radar is a fantastic sounding Studer BUT with great editing. I find the more I use the Radar the less time I need to use PT.

Lee
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 20db.com
I love tracking to Radar. Yea my PT is fine and yea it will do tracking, plug-ins, blah, blah blah. But, reaching for the Radar session controller is always my first choice.

Everyone has already mentioned the fact that the Radar converters are outstanding and that is part of the reason but what I like more than the quality is how easy it is to use. NOT being tied to a mouse and monitor allows me to focus more time on the session and the music and less time on the technology.

For me its the perfect front end because it does exactly what is was designed to do and it does it faster and reliablity. I guess it depends on how you like to work but for me the Radar is a fantastic sounding Studer BUT with great editing. I find the more I use the Radar the less time I need to use PT.

Lee
What are you mixing on? PT or an analog mixer?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear