Old 28th January 2003
Re: Here come the new G4s!

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Waddy'all think...

http://www.apple.com/powermac/expansion.html
Hey Jon,

What's so new about it?

It looks just like the dual 1.25ghz that I am using for PT right now.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

so these are OS 10 only? We're in need of a new g4 but planning on staying 9.2 for a while....

Any suggestions as to the best bet for our needs? we've got a g4 4oo that we'll move to the b room for edits.

The rig will be a mix cubed (two mixfarms) 2 888's,1 ad8000, an 882, and dual lcd monitors.
I'm a little hesitant to spend more on the dual processors if not needed.
Anyone have a really solid machine that they would recomend? I was thinking maybe a used 733, or?

I think we can wait out PT 6 for the next 6 months at least. (till the someone else works out the bugs)
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

wondering how ebay's 23inch sales are going to react to the screen price drops. heh

On the other hand I guess we bought our 19 inch Iyama flatscreen about a month too soon ....
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear
Re: Here come the new G4s!

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Waddy'all think...

http://www.apple.com/powermac/expansion.html
I think this rocks! I just sold my 4 month old dual 867 for $1925, which is like $100 less than I paid for it, in anticipation of this sort of thing! Now wait a minute, weren't they charging $3500 for the dual 1.25 Yesterday? This makes it a hell of a deal but if apple is cutting this hard whats next?
daniel
PS
I just noticed the link on the apple page for systems that will boot os9grudge
$500 more for the 1.25 that will boot os9?
Old 29th January 2003
box
Gear Nut

WHATS NEW?

FIREWIRE 800 (does that mean we'll see faster speeds in our firewire drives soon?)

AIRPORT EXTREEM this looks very cool, very fast.

BLUETOOTH Ready

if the new powerbooks have these new features the desktops should too.
the 1.42GHz processor itself will only be just a little faster than the 1.25GHz
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Holly guacamole! I was on the phone with a sales weasel last friday. I almost pulled out the credit card for the dual 1 gig. So glad I did not.

Will these machines boot to OS9?

The damn idiots at Korg will not be writing new drivers for the Oasys card, and I do love the sounds it has. That is the thing that is keeping me from upgrading!
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by David R.

Will these machines boot to OS9?

The way I understand it is that the new ones are OS X exclusive ... no OS 9.

The 'old' line stays in there for now. The strange thing is that those don't change in price. if you want to boot OS9 you have to buy the 'old' line which is more expensive then the new ones ... strange ... very strange.
Old 29th January 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

Seems Apple wants us to move to OS 10 badly enough to use price as an incentive.
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Seems Apple wants us to move to OS 10 badly enough to use price as an incentive.
sad but has some truth in it I think.
Old 29th January 2003
Gear Addict

I think the 1.25GHz Dulies will still boot into OS9...
Old 29th January 2003
Lives for gear

Kenn,

I think the 2003 dual machines are different than the 2002. Apple says they have an Firewire 800 port and are bluetooth ready. Not the same boxes.

I wonder if they did some hardware fix to make them unable to boot to 9. If so, how long untill the hack gets out?

Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

RARRGGH FUCK THIS FUCKING SHIT!!!! I CAN'T UPGRADE TO OS X RIGHT NOW.

I'm still stuck in OS 9. My RME hammerfall only has beta drivers which are buggy and crackle and pop, pluggo isn't OS Xable, Waves isn't OS Xable, my software synths aren't OS Xable. UGGA WUGGGA BUGGA!!!!!!!!!

I'd buy a new system RIGHT NOW if they weren't GIMPED.
Old 30th January 2003
urumita

I hear that in PC land they have a 512 MHz PCI buss, not to mention 3.3 GHz Quad processors and pluggable compatability with almost anything that exists, new or old. My problem right now is that I'd need 3 computers. No problem, three of these cost less than one pear. PT, PMX, seqs. and synths can all lock up on Virtual Transport. etc... seeyas
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
I hear that in PC land they have a 512 MHz PCI buss, not to mention 3.3 GHz Quad processors and pluggable compatability with almost anything that exists, new or old. My problem right now is that I'd need 3 computers.
That's true.

I believe PC's only have one final frontier to dominate and it's the A/V realm which should happen in the next three to five years.

All of the old arguments for owning a Mac are dissapearing. I use PTLE on a PC and We've found that the fastest Pentiums are much faster than the fastest MACS and the fastest AMD processors are 2-3 times faster than the fastest macs. These tests have been performed on hundreds of user machines are are very acurate as far as PTLE is concerned. So the power thing is out the window.

I've been running a PC built to Digidesign's specs for three years without one single crash or lockup. It may just be a fluke but every other session I've had in a studio running a MAC and PT (TDM and HD)has crashed. YMMV. All I'm saying is that after 1095 days, the stabillity argument is out the window.

The only thing left is that some companies only develop audio software for Mac, So despite everything I just said I'm eyeing these new Macs for this reason alone. I can build a SCREAMING AMD system for about $700 or put up the $1500 for the Mac and put off building my AMD until Apple goes under in a couple years.
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by 1nation
and put off building my AMD until Apple goes under in a couple years.

I can't wait! We'll be linked arm in arm all around the world, drivin hundais, and singin kumbya! Stand back and watch Microsoft and Dell innovate, you betcha! Pass the koolaiderollz
daniel
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 1nation

until Apple goes under in a couple years.
Right. Wish I had a nickel for everytime I've heard this over the past 15 years...

Should've loaded up on Apple stock (back around '90) when it hit the bottom (like one of my former employers did)... Then again, he's a brilliant multi-millionaire and I'm just (barely) literate!

Good Luck with that crystal ball!
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

NOISE NOISE NOISE:

Aside from all the spec stuff,

Apple has apparently addressed the God-awful noise produced by the previous/first generation of mirrored-door PowerMacs.

The new ones are reportedly much quieter.

The OS 9 bootable 1.25 machines that are still available seem to be left-overs from the 1st generation, and will most likely not benefit from Apple's noise-cutting efforts that went into the new machines.

-MattiMattMatt
Old 31st January 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by MattiMattMatt
NOISE NOISE NOISE:

Aside from all the spec stuff,

Apple has apparently addressed the God-awful noise produced by the previous/first generation of mirrored-door PowerMacs.

The new ones are reportedly much quieter.

The OS 9 bootable 1.25 machines that are still available seem to be left-overs from the 1st generation, and will most likely not benefit from Apple's noise-cutting efforts that went into the new machines.
-MattiMattMatt
I had a dual 867 and It was no noisier than my 733 but maybe I was lucky? They did release a rom update, I wonder if that helped the noisey ones? I wanted to update to a new one but I ain't gonna pay $2500 so I can boot os 9, I'll stay with what I have.
daniel
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Maniac

If I were going to Pro Tools LE (probably Digi 002) in a home recording environment, what configuration of a G4 would I want? Do I get dual processors so I am ready for the next generation? What's all this fuss about OS X? While I am figuring this out what's coming down the pike?

Sometimes I think I should just get a Mac lap top and M-box and track my drums in a real studio. I have a Rosetta but am willing to get the top converters, clock, etc.
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 7rojo7
I hear that in PC land they have a 512 MHz PCI buss, not to mention 3.3 GHz Quad processors and pluggable compatability with almost anything that exists, new or old. My problem right now is that I'd need 3 computers. No problem, three of these cost less than one pear. PT, PMX, seqs. and synths can all lock up on Virtual Transport. etc... seeyas
That would be nice, but it's a tad flattering to the x86 world.

PCI specs for the PC are the same as Mac, as far as both 32 and 64 bit compatible PCI slots at 33MHz. There are PCs with 66MHz/64 bit PCI slots, but there is little to no use for that in audio land at this point, and the 66MHz slots are not compatible with standard 33MHz cards, which includes every audio card I know about.

There is the upcoming PCI-X spec, but I would expect that to show up in Macs as well when it becomes broadly implemented on the PC. CPU speeds for PCs currently top out at 3066MHz for the P4 and 2250MHz for the AMD XP series, though the AMD at that speed is about equal to a P4 at 2800MHz.

Quad CPUS are impractically expensive for audio use at this point, at least IMO. Outside of clock speed though, the one place AMD and Intel are killing Motorola is the Front Side Bus speed (FSB).

The P4 tops out at 533MHZ FSB. AMD is at 333MHz FSB. By comparison, Macs are just moving to 166MHz FSB on the new duals. Yes, that is half the speed of AMD's FSB and less than a third of Intel's. That is choking much of whatever benefit the faster G4s can yield. It also reduces DDR memory on the new Macs to more of a marketing tool than a technical benefit, for the most part.

Just a bit of FYI on the tech tip. Many of the technologies on the Mac and PC are similar or identical these days. Video cards, audio cards, Firewire, USB, IDE internal HDs, PCI spec, networking etc.

FSB and CPU clock speed are the primary differences at this point. Integrated Airport Extreme looks very cool on the Mac, though.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 2nd February 2003
Here for the gear

Noise G4s PC etc

Don't wish to state the obvious BUT I all the Studios I go to have thre noisy gear (Macs, PCs, Producers + Drummers) in another room.
Why not just move the gear out of the listening space.

heh heh
Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear
Re: Re: Here come the new G4s!

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Jon,

What's so new about it?

It looks just like the dual 1.25ghz that I am using for PT right now.
Hey Thrill what Mac did you move up from? Just wondering what kind of a boost in plugs you saw going to a dual 1.25?
Peace
daniel
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Good Luck with that crystal ball!
I see... A gear slut, getting... Pimp slapped. heh

The future holds many surprises, even for someone as aware of the past as you.
Old 5th March 2003
Gear Addict

PROTOOLS HD and PC

Would anyone comment on a PC system they have used for PT HD? I know that Digidesign themselves ran HD from a PC in the last convention. Too bad LOGIC now really did discontinue their PC version.
Old 5th March 2003
Re: Re: Re: Here come the new G4s!

Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
Hey Thrill what Mac did you move up from? Just wondering what kind of a boost in plugs you saw going to a dual 1.25?
Peace
daniel
Hey Daniel,

First of all, if anyone is interested you can purchase one of the new macs with the older motherboard(to boot up in OS 9).

PT sent me the 6.0 upgrade weeks ago and I have refused to install it yet. I am still waiting around to see all the bugs worked out of it(and i am waiting for the Logic PTHD ext for PT 6.0).

The biggest boost is when you are working in Native mode. With the virtual stuff its killer(when working in Logic I use both native and TDM). In PT itself(since its only one processor I am using 5.3.1)the difference is not as dramatic(from a dual 450hz). The redraws and loading is super fast. Also conversions seem faster.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear
Re: Re: Re: Re: Here come the new G4s!

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Daniel,

First of all, if anyone is interested you can purchase one of the new macs with the older motherboard(to boot up in OS 9).

PT sent me the 6.0 upgrade weeks ago and I have refused to install it yet. I am still waiting around to see all the bugs worked out of it(and i am waiting for the Logic PTHD ext for PT 6.0).

Thrill, I'm with you,5.3.1 is just fine for now, I'll let someone else sort out the bugs
I guess I'm cheap, I think the mac that boots os 9 should be $2200(or less) and should include the 4x dvd burner just like the new ones. I used the 2x burner, to slow for dvd videos and very slow for data restore, the new ones look nice.
I'm going to either buy an imac with the burner or wait for the power5 Mac
daniel
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear