The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal LA-2A or Manley ELOP? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
1. I never squash tracks during tracking. Up to -4db peaks is what I normally do.

2. I know the ELOP has some color, but the LA2-A has even more color and is more obvious
Didn't mean to be argumentative or accuse anyone of overcompressing, but to me the ELOP compression is more obvious - which can be a great thing!
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
Seems to me the ELOP is great if you want the compression to stand out as an effect. It kinda stands up and says "I am a compressor, hear me squash!"

If that's not what you're looking for, I wouldn't buy it.

Not sure where you got that impression. Hasn't been my experience in the slightest.
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

ELOP = 2 channels of coolness.

LA2-A = 1 channel of coolness.

Similar price range if you buy them used. Question for me would be is one channel of LA2-A twice as cool as an ELOP? My answer would not quite...but close!
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC View Post
Not sure where you got that impression. Hasn't been my experience in the slightest.
I don't know. I lived with one in my rack for a year?

Maybe it's just in comparison to the other compressors I had available at the time - an Aurora Audio GTC2, Alta Moda Unicomp, The Nail and an LA2A.

At any rate, it's not a bad thing to me; I love compression. The ELOP has some attitude.

I'd still have it, but it, as well as the LA2A belonged to someone with whom I am no longer partnered.
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschizoid View Post
I don't know. I lived with one in my rack for a year?

Maybe it's just in comparison to the other compressors I had available at the time - an Aurora Audio GTC2, Alta Moda Unicomp, The Nail and an LA2A.

At any rate, it's not a bad thing to me; I love compression. The ELOP has some attitude.

I'd still have it, but it, as well as the LA2A belonged to someone with whom I am no longer partnered.
Interesting. We hear things very differently. I've had mine in my rack since 1992....many times I've been using it and during the course of a busy session gain staging will have changed and I've ended up hitting it a lot harder than I thought....and have been shocked when I've looked at the meters at how much I was compressing....but the elop was still smooth and buttery.

Probably the last of my comps I'd reach for if going for straight attitude....I'd proceed directly to the 1176.
Old 24th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC View Post
Interesting. We hear things very differently. I've had mine in my rack since 1992....many times I've been using it and during the course of a busy session gain staging will have changed and I've ended up hitting it a lot harder than I thought....and have been shocked when I've looked at the meters at how much I was compressing....but the elop was still smooth and buttery.

Probably the last of my comps I'd reach for if going for straight attitude....I'd proceed directly to the 1176.

I hate it when you realize you're compressing the crap out of something because the band starts playing with more conviction, but it's great to have a compressor in line that doesn't make the result suck!

it occurs to me, one of my favorite recordings of MY voice happened through a VoXBox. Doesn't that have the ELOP as one stage? That was a long time ago, and I wasn't engineering, but I'm pretty sure it was seriously compressed.

Last edited by steveschizoid; 24th September 2015 at 12:25 AM..
Old 24th September 2015
A piece of art!

High quality, well made, sounds great........hmmmmm. It's winning right now over the LA2-A
Attached Thumbnails
Universal LA-2A or Manley ELOP?-manley_elop_4.jpg  
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Nut

My ELOP sounds pretty darn transparent to me when tracking vocals.
Old 24th September 2015
My Langevin DVC which includes the solid state version of the ELOP is very transparent. Used a Km 184 mic recording an acoustic guitar I found it controlled the transients without effecting the overall sound. I cannot over emphasize the importance of a transparent limiter at times, the Langevin mic pre's have a vintage clean sound which is just wondeful. So sorry Manley stopped making that unit.

The ELOP limiter is the same limiter as the Langeivn but with tubes which offer a gentle softer transparent sound. I like the ELOP a lot. But if you want a thicker sound the new LA2-A is a great option. Well I don't have the money for either right now so next year I will pull the trigger on one of them next year after more comparisons.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Comparing the ELOP to the La2a:
In light compression:
ELOP grabs highs (10-12khz) a lil more than the La2a
ELOP adds a little low mid heft to the signal.
La2a is very natural sounding with the highs in place.
La2a adds a mid range sweetness and has a lean honest bass sound.

Medium compression (reduction at 12:00 both units)
ELOP sounds more grabby. Highs go away first. Sound gets smaller, not just quieter as the compressor eats both highs and lows more.
La2a starts that sweet sugary thick sound (mid distortion?). The lows get leaner and the highs don't disappear like the ELOP but are tied to the mids sugary sounds. Imo this is approaching the great La2a sound everyone loves. Which is...

Compression up 70-80%
ELOP here has only 1 compression characteristic left and this imo is glue. I often like this super drastic gluey sound on complex instruments like piano. It just glues the entire field of sound together. The cost though is the loss of tons of high and low end.
La2a on the other hand reacts very differently under such heavy compression. There is high freq. loss although much much less than the ELOP under the same heavy hitting as well as a similar though lighter loss in bass.
It is under this much compression where, to me, the La2a really shines. Breathy, yet natural still. Ok, not natural, but compare to the ELOP it's natural sounding. The sugary mids have less sweet grain texture and now sound more warm. Not pillowy warm, but iron transformer warm. As you dial into this heavier compression you hear the unit biting down on the volume and you can actually hear as the highs are swallowed up. It is this effect that I listen for and use as a guide to just how far I want to go with the La2a's gain reduction knob. This is soft breathy vocals, medium delivery vocal leveling and intimate whisper vocal heaven. Yelling into an La2a with the gain reduction between 12:00 and 3-4:00 is a sound everyone has heard.

Overall the La2a has a sweet sugar texture whereas the ELOP is drier sounding with a more velvet texture. You can really hit an La2a and still have normal sounding material, not an ELOP. It will stomp he sound into a box.
This squashy, boxy sound the ELOP does cannot be imitated by the La2a. The La2a stays more honest (although tubey as hell) sounding as it just quiets down the signal more.
The ELOP, in heavy compression like this, reminds me of the Fairchild over-compression on Beatles tracks. It is THE reason I keep my ELOP parked on my upright piano and Rhodes.

I think the biggest similarity between these units is that they both only have 2 knob controls. Haha

Last edited by Salty James; 19th April 2017 at 05:37 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search