The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Solo 6 Be - should I get the sub or Focal Twins. Studio Monitors
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamer View Post
Yeah, I tend to agree and arguing the merits of NS-10s on this thread seems a little off topic? I didn't see anyone ask anything related to comparisons or transitioning etc.

Love my Twins. I feel comfortable with them at low-moderate volumes. When I was deliberating on the decision between the Solos and the Twins, it really came down to the fact that the Twin, isn't just a "two speaker" version of the Solo, it's a 3-way individually amped. I think I actually hear more detail in the 200-500 range, and like others mentioned the stereo imaging really caught me off guard at first after transitioning from Adams. I do supplement with an active pair of Mix-Cubes, especially for post work where I know I'm targeting a mobile / small device audience.
Yea, I do notice I can work at much lower volumes on the Solo's than I used to on my HS80's without feeling the itch to crank them up. I don't think anyone can really go wrong with either tbh. There's even another thread somewhere on here where a Focal rep says that the Solo's and Twins weren't designed for one to be superior to the other, they are just different in character, each with there own particular benefits. As per the title of this thread, however, to get back on topic, I don't think the Twins will give you enough extra sub-bass over the Solo's if you feel like the Solo's aren't going deep enough. The bass might be more defined in the Twins, but the reach won't be much different. I think the main benefit between the two models comes from the mid range definition, as has been mentioned, but not so much in terms of bass extension. You'd have to move up to the SM9 for that, or just get the sub.
Old 31st January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnBoy View Post
Just got my Solo6's and burned them in for about 3 days straight before mixing on them. I noticed a huge improvement in the low end after the first day.

They don't really dive super low, but for some reason I nailed the low end on the two mixes I have done on them so far, and the kicks really translated well to smaller systems especially. I actually had to teach myself to just trust them. I carried the compensatory habits I had developed from mixing on my old monitors to the Solo's, and I had to really try hard to let that go and trust what I was hearing, because I realized that my mixes literally sounded the same everywhere. I haven't had to reference at all, which makes me uneasy, but every time I did, it just worked.
This is exactly the experience I had with them as well. Still amazed at the level of detail and the way you hear how dynamics are affected when you insert a compressor. Reverbs are more present, I can hear the space around the instruments and tweek things way faster.

Took a few weeks to trust what I was hearing because I was used to second guess myself, the mix translation was not perfect on the old monitors.
Old 31st January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevi View Post
This is exactly the experience I had with them as well. Still amazed at the level of detail and the way you hear how dynamics are affected when you insert a compressor. Reverbs are more present, I can hear the space around the instruments and tweek things way faster.

Took a few weeks to trust what I was hearing because I was used to second guess myself, the mix translation was not perfect on the old monitors.
Yea, it's if a different experience if you have been working on lesser monitors for a long period of time. Another thing I notice a lot more of, is the differences in the way mixes sounds from mixer to mixer. You notice the differences between different engineers a lot more. You can get some pretty audible insight into what they're doing, or not doing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search