The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
POLL: How many A/D/A channels do you use?
View Poll Results: POLL: How many A/D/A channels do you use?
2 channels A/D
1 Votes - 2.00%
2 channels A/D/A
8 Votes - 16.00%
8 channels A/D
2 Votes - 4.00%
8 channels A/D/A
6 Votes - 12.00%
16 channels A/D
5 Votes - 10.00%
16 channels A/D/A
3 Votes - 6.00%
24+ channels A/D
2 Votes - 4.00%
24+ channels A/D/A
17 Votes - 34.00%
OTHER
6 Votes - 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th January 2003
POLL: How many A/D/A channels do you use?

For the majority of your working style how many max channels of digital conversion do you find yourself needing currently on the way into the digital recorder (or computer) and on the way out of the recorder or computer?

1. 2 ch A/D
2. 2 ch A/D/A
3. 8 ch A/D
4. 8 ch A/D/A
5. 16 ch A/D
6. 16 ch A/D/A
7. 24 ch A/D
8. 24 ch A/D/A
9. Other
Old 26th January 2003
For me its 16 channel A/D and 32 channel D/A most of the time. Sometimes its just 2 channels of A/D. It all depends on the song.
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Not to tell you how to take your poll. But wouldn't it cover a wider range of scenarios if you broke it down to the number of A/D and the number D/A, with seperate totals for each ?

For example I frequently track with 2 A/D and 2 D/A, but may go up to 10 A/D and still only use 2 D/A.

So I guess that makes me an 'other' and I'm not sure what that contributes to the poll.
Old 26th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidStrat
What I'd like to know is why the hell it matters.

I'm curious to see how many people are mixing entirely in the computer (or digitally through a digital console) or just partially in the computer. And if submixing in the computer and then going to some kind of analog mixer, to what extent. I'm also interested in seeing how many people are doing more 'live' oriented types of music where 16+ channels of A/D are utilized; as opposed to either the home recordist who is using 8 or less channels of A/D and then no D/A because everything stays in the computer after being recorded. No poll is perfect and there are far too many variables to tell the whole story, if you are close to any of these then it would be helpful to 'round to the nearest factor'. Basically the premise is also to tell what you will do at any maximum amount according to what you have (or need for all serious practical purposes), not the variables based upon various songs.

For instance, I have 34 channels of A/D and 26 channels of D/A from the HD recorder and computer. If I had to break it down I could get away with 16 in and 24 out, but there have been times when I've used 24 in and 24 out (with over 48 voices submixed in the computer down to the 24 DAC) with all the scratch tracks involved along with the keeper tracks...so that's my max practical limit for the way I work.

Thanks for playing.
Old 26th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Usually you need way more D/A than A/D if mixing on an analog console.

For tracking, 24 A/D/A is often enough.

When folks are mixing out from PT, 24 might do it, but more often than not they need 48 to 96 D/A.

For the really big mixes, we go up to 48 Apogee outs and 48 3348 outs.

My SOP is 24 tracks from the A820 for the main stuff and 24 Apogee outs from PT (or 48 from the 3348) for the rest.
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Live work, so as much A>D as possible.

I have 96 channels available, typically use anywhere from 26~34 in any instance.

While mixing and fixing, everything stays digital (console, not DAW) with all efx routed AES.
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

in 75% of our applications we use no more then 2 channels of AD. we have a possibility to do 24 AD but rarely go beyond 16.

for DA. Well, since I mix inside PT, 8 channels are hooked up to the speakers, 16 on the patch for inserts (comps / eq's / fx ...)
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

I don't use more than 16 A/D at a time, though I'm set-up with 32 channels for 1-to-1 input patching. 34 channels of D/A is standard, though I can go to 50 channels if I want to patch-in the 20 bit stuff too.
Old 26th January 2003
I get a rock band into my DAW via 16 Prism Dream A-D converters.. While doing that I use a Cranesong Hedd to monitor the D-A of the internal PT mix.

While mixing via 16 Prisim D-A I can do overdubs via the Hedd...

I only (!) have one Prisim unit, I swap the converter cards around to 16 ins or 16 outs depending on what I am doing..

Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

I use a lucid 8824 and mytek ad96 for input, and the lucid 8824 for output.

So, 16 in, 8 out.
Old 26th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Mytek 8X96

16 in
16 out

love em (I'll try to stop mentioning that in every post about converters) heh

Tend to use all 16 on average, but don't usually need more. On mixdown I'm using anywhere from 8-14 channels of outboard processing. The rest is done in the box.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

The funny thing is I'll often need less than 8 channels of ad/da for recording (overdubbing that is) and I often mix in the box but I need at least 24 channels for mixing since I use a lot of ouboard as inserts/mults...
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

I've got 24 in and out and I'll be renting another 16 when this project goes to mix phase.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

Shyeesh, don't you guys bounce?
Old 28th January 2003
There is only one

i use [up to] 20 in and 8 out [stereo monitor CR feed, and 6 for more me mointor system] for tracking. so i dont have an option.... i have 28i/o currently although only 20i/o @ 24bit.
Old 28th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

I guess it depends on how you count - I usually track and mix with 40 channels of DA-78's and 88's. But quite often, I won't do vocals until the tracks are mixed into Pro Tools. In that case, there would be three AD's in PT - two for the tracks, one for all the vocal recording; if I record vocals to the TASCAM's, I'll transfer all of the vocals into Pro Tools at the same time, which can take as many as 12 channels of AD. On the other hand, I'll usually do my final mixes within PT, so I'm only using a pair of DA's to monitor.

How many is that?
Old 28th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Shyeesh, don't you guys bounce?
If I hit the ground hard enough and make sure my body is tense I can bounce. Otherwise, I'm a sack of potatoes.

Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

i have 2 interfaces for my hd3 system 192ios...in my home..but i generally never use more than 8 at a time....do mostly overdubs at home...and mixing....i go digital out straight into my masterlinks and dats....and have to da.s to an analog machine...in the studio i use 32 channels of 888*24s or apogee ad8000 out of an ssl 6000 series console....if i am in the a room.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

I generally use 10 channels - Lucid, Hedd. That's what I can safely feed the 001 and bypass it's ada. I send stems out for summing, so I rarely use more than that in either direction (not that more wouldn't be nice...)
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast
I generally use 10 channels - Lucid, Hedd. That's what I can safely feed the 001 and bypass it's ada.
Does the Lucid give you an ADAT out and then you're running the HEDD in by S/PDIF ?

Otherwise I don't see how you're getting 10 in to a 001.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
Does the Lucid give you an ADAT out and then you're running the HEDD in by S/PDIF ?

Otherwise I don't see how you're getting 10 in to a 001.
Yes and yes. The hedd's clock also feeds the lucid and the digi clocks to spdif. Works like a charm.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear