Mindreader

Give me 3 reasons NOT to buy a GML 2020

I'm all ears
Old 1st July 2002
High End Moderator

if you're "all ears" then there is NO reason to not buy the GMLheh heh heh
Old 1st July 2002
Mindreader

Well, the reason for the question (and fraustration of a million different answers from as many people), the main thing was: What the fcuk can I buy which wont be superceded, which is clean, makes EVERTHING and ANYTHING sound great, and will prevent me from ever wondering if I should have bought something else instead EVER. The 2-3k price bracket is now saturated with these kind of all-in-one channel strips, and I want to cut the crap.

A bit like a previous thread I started about the M6000. Is it worth it or isn't it? Answer: yes. End.

Oh, on another note, I'm going to go and try out that amphead that Jules bought v.soon. Just in case its better than my POD.
Old 2nd July 2002
Lives for gear

"Give me 3 reasons NOT to buy a GML 2020"

This cannot be done. Although, I'm stuggling with spending that much on anything when there's people starving in the world. (Yeah right, I'll probably get one next week)...
Old 2nd July 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
What the fcuk can I buy which wont be superceded, which is clean, makes EVERTHING and ANYTHING sound great, and will prevent me from ever wondering if I should have bought something else instead EVER.
Look I'm only answering this because I'm moved by your obvious pain here and want to offer some way to short cut it and help you move on.

The ONLY thing that you will ever find that fits your demands - frankly - is a packet of cotton buds. Use them to clean your ears. Things sound better. Even if gear sounds great 30 years on - it often dies, or requires major by-pass surgery.

Besides what you have stated is possibly heresy. As I understand it the following:

"and will prevent me from ever wondering if I should have bought something else instead EVER."

- probably goes against 7 of 10 Gearslutz Commandments.

Me I get sad because I can't buy the thing. Now stop tormenting me with your cruelty tut tut
Old 13th July 2002
Gear Addict

Three Bogus Answers

Reason #1 - It's expensive - obvious and not a very good reason.
Reason #2 - It's mono - problem easily solved by buying two or more.
Reason #3 - I need one more than you. Also easily solved. Buy FOUR of them and send one pair to me.
Old 15th July 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Three Bogus Answers

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
Reason #1 - It's expensive - obvious and not a very good reason.
Reason #2 - It's mono - problem easily solved by buying two or more.
Reason #3 - I need one more than you. Also easily solved. Buy FOUR of them and send one pair to me.

I'm with reason one and two ....

I cannot live however with reason 3 tut tut tut

reason 3 should read .... buy 8 of them .... keep one pair, send one pair to paul (I think he deserves a pair for putting me onto this great idea) and send the other four to me .... I need a pair more then Paul.
Old 17th July 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by BevvyB
What the **** can I buy which wont be superceded, which is clean, makes EVERTHING and ANYTHING sound great, and will prevent me from ever wondering if I should have bought something else instead EVER. The 2-3k price bracket is now saturated with these kind of all-in-one channel strips, and I want to cut the crap.
Well, having used most of the "all in one boxes"... I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the 2020 is the finest of the lot. Unbelievably clear sounding, whilst remaining musical and opulent [a couple get nearly as clean but are really 'sterile and boring' sounding IMO].

The only thing I've heard that comes close to the 2020 is the Penudulum Audio "Quartet"... which like I said, comes close, but is not "the ultimate" like the 2020... at this level of the game, it's a game of inches, not yards... however every inch costs you twice as much as the previous inch.

Best of luck with your search!!
Old 24th March 2011
roc
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Well, having used most of the "all in one boxes"... I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the 2020 is the finest of the lot. Unbelievably clear sounding, whilst remaining musical and opulent [a couple get nearly as clean but are really 'sterile and boring' sounding IMO].

The only thing I've heard that comes close to the 2020 is the Penudulum Audio "Quartet"... which like I said, comes close, but is not "the ultimate" like the 2020... at this level of the game, it's a game of inches, not yards... however every inch costs you twice as much as the previous inch.

Best of luck with your search!!
Quartet II does have a limiter on it but I don't know if that would make a difference .
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Powersuply can be a bit flaky. But just keep some fuse's around.

For the rest... 3 reasons is really hard... can't be done
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

That must be the oldest thread revival , ever !
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

the one reason that may be valid is that you're after colour. But for the rest is GML among the absolute best i've used... But the price isn't cheap (wich may be reason n°2, but not in this section of the forum...)
Old 24th March 2011
roc
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx View Post
the one reason that may be valid is that you're after colour. But for the rest is GML among the absolute best i've used... But the price isn't cheap (wich may be reason n°2, but not in this section of the forum...)
What about Quartet II ME edition , colored or not ?
Old 24th March 2011
Did the OP buy the GML after all?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search