The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA 1176 or PurpleAudio or... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Nut

UA 1176 or PurpleAudio or...

I will buy me two very good compressors in my studio...I use pres from API, Focusrite and Neotek Elite pres.
Okay, what should I do;

1. Buy two Purple Audio
2. Buy two UA 1176 reissue
3. One of each
4. A Distressor and a Purple or UA1176

Thanx !

Finstad
Old 24th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Any of the above should work - I have a pair of Purples, a pair of UA's, and a pair of Distressors.

If varies from week to week, but right now, I'm back to using the Purple's before I use the UA's. There are differences in the sonics, but they are less than the differences between, for instance, any two original 1176's of different revisions. (And yes, I hve done a side by side comparison with the Purple, the UA, and 2 original blackface 1176's.)
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Any of the above should work - I have a pair of Purples, a pair of UA's, and a pair of Distressors.

Ask a gearslut a question........
Old 24th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Ask a gearslut a question........
And you'll get a gearslut answer...
Old 24th January 2003
The Purple's sound like they have more headroom and that the transients are handled more cleanly than the UA...but some people may view this as giving the Purple less character...I call it 'open' & 'high fidelity'.grggt

The Distressors are capable of things neither the MC77 or 1176 are capable of. It can do an 1176 decently and a generic (but tighter than usual) Opto simulation among other things. It can be much more aggressive and/or colorful that the 1176 sound, so it depends on how much you need to place things in the sonic stronghold, and how dependent you are on stereo (or dual mono) compression.
Old 26th January 2003
One with big hooves

I'd go with the one of each route. Neither the Distressor or 1176 are at the top of my list for stereo material so having one of each would be great. UA vs. Purple? Which one can you get a better deal on? The differences between them are subtle at best IMHO. I have a pair of UA's and I'm way happy with them.
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Guru

I'd go with a distressor and a Purple MC76. I have a couple reasons. first and foremost for the variety of sound. Second the Purple would look way cooler in the rack grggt Also both pieces are not available from Guitarget.
Old 26th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
UA vs. Purple? Which one can you get a better deal on?
The UA is always going to be 'cheaper'. Does this mean it's a better value? Not in my book. The UA is being made in huge lots and sold by GC, which means it's being given away. The small dealers that do sell UA are probably lucky to make enough profit to equal the cost of doing business for that sale. UA makes tons of these units by contract, Andrew makes each Purple unit slowly one at a time with serious quality control. So the Purple is always going to be slightly more expensive because he has chosen not to do the big corporate distribution sell out. I'd rather support a fellow engineer than a bunch of corporate suits who are only in it to drive the price of stock up. But that's just me.
Old 26th January 2003
member no 666

Politics aside... I've playing with the Purple MC-77 quite a bit recently... it's pretty ****ing awesome.
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Politics aside... I've playing with the Purple MC-77 quite a bit recently... it's pretty ****ing awesome.
That's the replacement for the MC-76, right? I read the description on the Purple website, but I'm curious if you hear any differences between the 76 and 77. The changes mainly sounded like functional stuff, but you never know...
Old 26th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Not really meaning to hijack the thread, but here's a little trivia.

I was in a room on friday that had 4 blue 1176's. Not blue striped - they were painted blue.

How many of you remember these, and know why they came that way? (I suspect that it's the old guys who will be able to answer this).
Old 26th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
That's the replacement for the MC-76, right? I read the description on the Purple website, but I'm curious if you hear any differences between the 76 and 77. The changes mainly sounded like functional stuff, but you never know...
Andrew at Purple has said that the only differences are functional. The tone is the same as the MC76. If it ain't broke....
Old 27th January 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
The UA is always going to be 'cheaper'. Does this mean it's a better value? Not in my book. The UA is being made in huge lots and sold by GC, which means it's being given away. The small dealers that do sell UA are probably lucky to make enough profit to equal the cost of doing business for that sale.
While that may or may not be true I did get one of my UA's from Banjo Depot and the other came from a smaller dealer. When I said which one can you get the better deal on, that includes used gear. I've used both the UA and the Purple lots of times and I have no problems using either one on a gig. I got the UA's because I figured I'd have less problems with freelancers. Also when I bought the first one it was because of a freelancer. I had to rent one for 2 weeks so I said screw it and bought one. The GC that's a 1/2 hour from here had one in stock.
Old 27th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
When I said which one can you get the better deal on, that includes used gear.
Fair enough.

Quote:

I've used both the UA and the Purple lots of times and I have no problems using either one on a gig.
I know, I've seen you mention that you like the Purple's a few times in some threads.

Quote:

I got the UA's because I figured I'd have less problems with freelancers.
I know exactly what you're talking about...people often "buy" (studio time and product, or cars, or whatever the case may be) with their eyes. In this case it says 1176 LN and is black in color. Makes sense that it may sell studio time.

Quote:
Also when I bought the first one it was because of a freelancer. I had to rent one for 2 weeks so I said screw it and bought one. The GC that's a 1/2 hour from here had one in stock.

I didn't want to come off like I expected you to justify yourself, definitely not the case Jay. I'll explain further, I have a strong inclination towards helping the little guy, and my definition of the little guy can include not just the consumer, but also the non 'corporate'/mom and pop distribution network, the employees of the distributor network, the manufacturing company and the people behind it also. I personally feel big business goes against that, and along with that I see waning ethics purpetuated by much of big business on SO MANY levels it makes me sick.

My comments were indicative of how I feel regarding the nature of the competition between the small biz (Purple) and the big biz (UA and GC), not a judgement call on your purchase decision. And of course these two large companies have a right to exist in the marketplace, I would never suggest that they should be denied that...but just as they have the right to exist, so do I (and my company) have the right to not support large companies who I feel are against that philosophy that I hold. I won't go into a list of specific reasons about what those are because it is too OT. But to me it was important enough to state my thoughts on the nature of why Purple is IMNSHO more justifiably expensive for new product and why it may be important to ultimately think beyond the "low price" for the longterm sustainability of the entire audio industry. I'll also bet my last penny that the street price of the MC77 is an artificial one derived only to compete with the low price of the UA 1176. To make the same margin that UA makes, due to speculative offshore manufacturing and great price breaks on bulk parts ordering, the price of the Purple should and would be equivalently more than the UA. But because Purple doesn't have the capital buying power of the larger competitor, they take the hit just to compete.

I could not imagine a world where BanjoMart are the only dealer in town, just because they are the last ones to go out of business (e.g. Walmart is the perfect literal analogy here....http://www.union-network.org/UNIsite...Local_1360.htm...albeit on a smaller scale when it comes to GC...note the location BTW) and the specific lines that they support are the only pieces being made in that bleak future. If they had little or no competition, there wouldn't be any price wars....and it's been proven time and time again this is the point of low margin street prices by these large corps. It's not for the sake of the consumer, it's to kill all the little guys. And in return talented engineers/manufacturers like Andrew from Purple aren't even recognized in the industry if that were to happen (and it could, maybe not in totality, but partially at least). Underground respect is all good and well for a manufacturer, but so is putting food on the table. Soapbox mode off.
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Nut

Thankx a lot guys !!

Well, I will go for a Purple. Here in North Europa, the Purple is about $170 cheaper than the UA....They also got the stereo link build in. I like Distressors very well to, but they dosnt look so cool in the rack! So, I buy two Purple or one Purple and one Distressor.

Buy the way; I have started to build my a new contoll room. The total areal will be 30 sq. meters, but I have a problem with the ceeling high. It will be only 2,4 meter (about 7 feet) The ceeling will be complete damped (a coeffisient on 0,9 from 175 hz-)
Have some of you comments on ceeling high in controll rooms ??

Finstad
Old 27th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

What is the UA 1176 streeting for at GC stores?

Here in Europe it's hard to keep tabs on the US street prices.
Old 27th January 2003
One with big hooves

When I got my first one it was $1650. Not sure what they're at now, I think $1700. I got my second one for $1600 a few months ago.
Old 27th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Thanks, Jay.

Old 25th February 2003
Gear Addict

ceiling heights

ceeling high. It will be only 2,4 meter (about 7 feet)

Finstad,

Best to sit on the floor then, and monitor....heh

OK, joke aside: ceiling reflections are most annoying (standing waves, flutter echo etc.) and it is VERY difficult to put together a good listening room with low ceiling heights; Probaby the best you can do is try to dampen the hell out of it, but keep in mind that for low frequencies (=long wavelengths) even your thickest (4inch) dampening will not "exist". Also, very thick foam (auralex etc.) begins to add up in cost. What you really need to do is generate a dampened airspace between your current ceiling and the "actual ceiling", a dropped and angled ceiling if you will, which will trap low frequencies. Once you do that you better be short... Again, all of this involves much construction and cost - ultimately the question is whether it would be easier to start with a room that has high ceilings....

BG
Old 25th February 2003
Lives for gear

BLUE 1176's rock!!! actually blue/silver two tone gotta be around early to mid sixties...cause they were black hen i started sellin em in 71...
Old 26th February 2003
Lives for gear
Actually Jay, I've seen the UA 1176's as low as 1450 at Medley in Phili. I use to own a Purple and have briefly tried the UA, not back to back, but just going from memory, I did prefere the Purple, particularly with Neve type preamps. I sold the Purple when I got the Trakker, couldn't afford to keep both and the Trakker is more versitile but some day I'd like to get another Purple. Also the new Purple has a bi-pass I believe which would be really handy.
Old 26th February 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
BLUE 1176's rock!!! actually blue/silver two tone gotta be around early to mid sixties...cause they were black hen i started sellin em in 71...
Nope, the ones I saw were all dark blue, except for the the graphics. They were most likely OEM'd by UREI...
Old 27th February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
What is the UA 1176 streeting for at GC stores?

Here in Europe it's hard to keep tabs on the US street prices.
Don't know about GC, but you can find them easily for around $1350.
Old 27th February 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Thanks for the replies. It cost us $1300 for one, but it may have been a demo model. The Purple was around $950, so the black color did run a few hundred more.
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Well, the purple rocks, and the colour is great ...

malice
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

Finstad,

If you're looking for a REALLY good transistor-based stereo compressor, don't forget the Daking unit. It's really excellent, esp on drums. I'm amazed that you never hear about Daking's stuff on the various forums.

The Purple and UA are also fine, of course. I would say that the Daking is a little richer and chunkier, but not quite as crisp and in-your-face.

As for the Distressor, although they are IMMENSELY popular, I have no use for them. I'd rather add analog harmonics later in the chain, either with a Fatso or with plugins. As JUST a compressor, I don't consider the Distressor a world class unit.

But, you know, that's just me. I don't like Royer 121's or Adam monitors either. What can you do?
Old 1st March 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker
[B] don't forget the Daking unit. It's really excellent, esp on drums. [B]
I use the Dakings in similar applications where I would use a Neve 32264a or 33609... absolutely stunning sounding units!!!

... and yeah... I'm surprised you don't hear more about them on the 'forums' too...
Old 1st March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
I use the Dakings in similar applications where I would use a Neve 32264a or 33609... absolutely stunning sounding units!!!

... and yeah... I'm surprised you don't hear more about them on the 'forums' too...
If we talked about them publicly, everyone would want a pair...
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
If we talked about them publicly, everyone would want a pair...
Yep, plus, in comparaison of ln1176 and distressors, they are very good 2buss compressors ...That makes them a better choice if your looking for vesatile comps ...

malice
Old 2nd March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by malice
Yep, plus, in comparaison of ln1176 and distressors, they are very good 2buss compressors ...That makes them a better choice if your looking for vesatile comps ...

malice
Dammit, I'm going to have to try mine on a buss - they tend to be used on kick and snare when tracking, and usually electric guitars mixing...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search