The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Convertors for HD... So what beats the 192?
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Maniac

Convertors for HD... So what beats the 192?

Hello everyone,

I'm more just interested than serious about purchasing, but what beats the 192 I/O as for as A/D convertors go. I've been really happy with mine, but I was wondering if the apogee hype was really consequential. Are any so far superior you would completely hear a diff?

Cheers,
Jon
Old 23rd January 2003
Without a doubt Mytek.
Old 23rd January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Nathan, have you A/B'd the 192 with the Mytek's? I want to do this but haven't yet. If so, was the difference audibly better with the Myteks? What's the scoop?
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
Without a doubt Mytek.
Have you heard the 192 yet? It's actually pretty nice, especially in contrast to the boxes Digi has offered in the past. FWIW, It's an Ed Meitner design (see emmlabs.com). My experiences with Mytek have been good too (preferred their 16 bit box to an Apogee 16-bit box a while back) but at this point I think it's at least a little closer than "far superior".

Lynn Fuston's A/D converter comparison CD should prove interesting, too.

-dave
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

I'm using RADAR s-nyquist with PTHD3.
Haven't heard anything else, don't need to.
Old 23rd January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I can understand being completely happy with your converters, but not having heard anything else and saying you don't need to leaves a lot of undiscovered sonic territory. However, S-Nyquist Radar 'verts are supposedly top of the heap, along with a few others. I wouldn't count Mytek out of that.
Old 24th January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

Not necessarily, it means he's more busy happily making music than analyzing gear...

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

thanks Ted.
Old 24th January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

Your welcome Mike.
Old 24th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Ok, but then why come to Gearslutz and offer up your best shot at converters? If you have nothing to discuss, don't. Go make music. I wish I had more time to make music, too.
Old 24th January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

I love discussion about all sorts of gear but I especially love it when I, or someone else, finds that special piece of gear that makes them happy and at peace with themselves. Isn't that what's its all about? I mean there has to be some kind of goal/end with some of this stuff, at least for a while, doesn't there?

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 24th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I'm not the gear guru (Jules is) and when you meet the zen master while walking down the road you should kill him immediately.

How can we all be at peace with our gear at the same time?

We can't. So eat the grasshopper and slap yourself in the face (hard) to remind you that all things are in constant motion...

er somethin

Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

Once you get into this league of convertor quality(apogee, mytek, prism, weiss etc etc ...). Of which the 192 is a very part imho ..... there are plenty of other things that become very important , not to say in some of the cases .... more important .... :

here's a few :

- speakers and everything about them ... their placement, calibration etc etc blabla .....

Only properly setup, high quality speakers will reveal the difference between some of those convertors .... it is not allways in the slightly enhanced high or tighter bass that you will find them .... often it is more subtle then that ... even slightly out of phase speakers of high quality will ruin finding those differences ... especially in listening tests

- room acoustics .... you have to be sure what the room does to your frequencies ....

- the path to the convertor. ... not to disrespect them or something but I've seen people complain about the sound they get and then change convertors when what they really should have started with first is get a high quality pre and a high quality compressor and a decent mic or 2. at least 7 out of 10 times it goes wrong somewhere between the instrument / singer and the AD.

last but certainly not least : CLOCK. especially if you have a setup with several goodies hooked up digitally to each other. Get your clock sorted out right. It will make or break the sound of whatever you do .... with whatever equipment you use.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Nobody has said the Benchmark word yet....

Opinions ?
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

I think it's cool at someone here is actually able to say that they are getting what they want from thier system right now.. damn, thats cool!

Mike, do you record to the Radars and then transfer, or are they just sitting there in Input mode, tracks armed or wahtever and acting as converters for HD? Curious as to the specific setup.. ( as allways)

Thanks all!
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

it just sits in input most of the time.
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
Nobody has said the Benchmark word yet....

Opinions ?
Very tasty AD/DA ... certainly stands shoulder to shoulder with "Any" high end box thrown at it .. for a few less $$ That said, I'll get a Cranesong HED 192 at some point .. but there's no rush.

The HD192 .... geeeezz ... how hard was it to make something sound better than the 888 rollz Doesn't blow me away, but it's not bad. What's intresting however is that the MOTU192 is promoted as haveing the same convertors as another "POPULAR" brand. Seems like Digi didn't make the convertors after all and probably cut a 1 year exclusive deal with a 3rd party manufacturer. No wonder they sound better grggt MOTU gets to capitalize on a recognizable name in their main competition and sell identical quality level for quite a few $$ less.

Now if their whole opperation was as agressive as their marketing strategys, my guess is the whole PT boat would start to rock a bit. Jus my tupence

G night
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ghoost
What's intresting however is that the MOTU192 is promoted as haveing the same convertors as another "POPULAR" brand.
Yeah, very interesting in the world of marketing mooks. I think by "converters" they mean chips. The preponderance of 192k A/D converters are built around the same chips. The analog front-end to those chips is where the differences lie, and I wouldn't expect them to sound the same, any more than the HEDD sounds like the Digi 192.

-dave
Old 25th January 2003
Gear Addict

i love the 192 i have no problem with it over the apogee ad 8000 i used to use with the mix system....if anything i like it better...also have a 96io it is not a bad interface sounds better than the 888/24 to me....
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

Mike, as a side note, are you at 96k or 48K?

Apparently the Radar S-Nyquist converters sound better than the standard Radar converters at 48 K as well, I am just curious if you find the added whatever worth the Hard Drive space ( or if you find any added whatever..)
Old 26th January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

Hi Steve,

I have Radar 24 Nyquist also but it's still in the box. Why don't you come down when we get up next month and let's determine the answer together, it's only about a 5 hour drive to OKC. As I understand it, the 96K/Nyquist are the best all around at either rate.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

Let me know when yo are up, I would def love to see the place ( and the console! ) Thanks for the offer

My e-mail is in my profile, [email protected]
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

I'll Bite

I angsted over this for a long time about a year ago. After as much 'objective' listening as I could stand ( props to Chris L for his comments),
I finally settled on this: 192 Digi digital dongle box with AD8000SEs in the legacy port. Trac2 into the AES and Manley SLAMs and Weiss converters for alternatives.
The Digi box comes (or mine did) calibrated 2db hotter than normal (cheap trick) and has a more hyped upper mid sound than any of my other converters. The bottom line being that all of the others (including the 8000SEs) sound better than the Digi box.
Oddly enough, while Digi is boasting about their new PLL, Apogee has replaced them with a DDL which allows for adaptive loop filtering (smooth re synch) in their new Big Ben clock. I'll post on it as soon as it arrives. Manley has dispensed with loops altogether. These are companies with a far more extensive background in the analog and clocking side of things. It makes sense that they sound better. Only my opinion so flames off please.
cheers,
chap
Old 31st January 2003
Gear Nut

motu 192?

OK - so don't laught too hard, but how do you suspect the motu 192 converters will stand up to the big boys?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear