The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL 4000E/G+ -or- 4000G/G+ ???
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Head

SSL 4000E/G+ -or- 4000G/G+ ???

Upgrading to an SSL 4k.

What are the differences between the "E" series and the "G" series as far as features and sonics go, and also in terms of appeal to engineers/clients?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 24th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

You forgot to say "HOHOHO" somewhere in your message.

Something must be off.
Old 24th January 2003
One with big hooves

Maybe he's just behaving himself for once...

I'll check in under the "not much difference" camp. I'm not much of an SSL person but the few times I have used them I liked the EQ on the E more then the G which seemed a bit cleaner. The E had a bit more bite and dirt to it. For engineer clients it'll make a lot of difference but for music clients it probably won't matter a hell of a lot.
Old 24th January 2003
member no 666

If you'vew done the "G series line amp" updates... then it's equalizers to taste for either an "E" or a "G" desk... the main difference at that point lies in the center section computer control. The "G" series having a full sized keyboard and assignable "hot keys", the "E" series having a smaller keyboard and no assignable "hot keys"...
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

Main difference I notice is on the EQ. The E series ("242" E Series card) eq has a constant bandwidth, so when you boost the gain the Q widens. This is why the SSL 9K has the "e" option on them, even though it's not the same circuitry. I think John Gass was the guy in L.A. that made it so popular to fill the G with E series eq's.
Old 26th January 2003
member no 666

Back when the "G"s first came out, the Power Station in NYC [now called 'Avatar'] put in an 80 input desk... with all "E" series EQ's... they even had it painted the "E" color... but it had the "G" center section so all was good with the world.
Old 28th December 2004
Lives for gear

So what console did you get and how did the upgrade workout?
Old 6th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Back when the "G"s first came out, the Power Station in NYC [now called 'Avatar'] put in an 80 input desk... with all "E" series EQ's... they even had it painted the "E" color... but it had the "G" center section so all was good with the world.
As a sidenote, the small "E-Series" Computer-Keyboard was available "build to order" for the G-Series. My 1991 SL4048G has the small Computer-Keyboard. Very few people ordered it like that though. I personally like it a lot. Makes the ways reaching out to the channels from the center shorter.
Old 6th February 2010
Gear Nut

most of the guys I have talked to like the E series channels with a G+ centre section. E series channels don't sound as "hard" to my ears.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search