The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KM56 replacement, in the bridge doublebass mic.
Old 22nd January 2003
urumita

KM56 replacement, in the bridge doublebass mic.

I used one for years but now I don't have it anymore (boo hoo). I used to attach it with an elastic band and faith in friction with no problems. The pattern selection on the power supply was excellent. KM56- AM16- LA2A- Tape- happy bass player. What's around these days in the same flavor? I don't get to look that much because near me they don't have dick and it costs to much to go window shopping. I need something soon.
thanks
Old 23rd January 2003
Gear Maniac

I know it's not a killer replacement for a km 56, but i've used km 84's or km140's

i've also used B&K's the same way.
Old 23rd January 2003
Moderator emeritus

What about a Gefell M-582? I understand that they're going in the $700ish range on E-Bay. They're single pattern (at least the three that I have are), but I've been told that they're fairly similar to the KM-54.
Old 24th January 2003
member no 666

There really is no replacement for a KM-56... but a suitable alternative might be a Josephson C-42... or not...
Old 25th January 2003
urumita

Maybe you're right. The KM56 had a place between omni and cardiod that was sweet as molasses for bass. DPA has some wide cardioid small con. that are probably in the ballpark but I guess those days are bye and gone. ciao.
Side address more than half omni is what I'm looking for, if it comes in a tube flavor, so much the better. straight through a tube into another light controlled dandy and into my meitner and no matter where it goes after that? I don't really care anymore. (FibreChannel to Pyramix?)[it's always a choice]
If I ever had a complaint from a bassist, I would put up an M249 and record it and double patch the tape out of the KM56 to the M249 tape return and let the bassist choose. He would always choose a mix of KM56 6dB down and M249 about 3 dB down as apposed to either one at 0. Go figure.
Old 4th February 2003
urumita

MicrotechGefell UM70s in omni worked out ok, it has a very thin body and a large diaphragm (unlike the KM56), it worked better with the rubberband. It was really interesting in figure 8 but not natural but I used it for a hyped type of bass sound on one tune. I'm gonna try an Earthworks QTC when I get it. Anymore suggestions?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search