The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tab v76 questions Dynamics Plugins
Old 22nd December 2004
Lives for gear

Tab v76 questions

So I got what looks to be a beautiful v76, but I have yet to use it as it needs a PS.

I just talked to Oliver at tab-funkenwerk about it and he will go thru it thoroughly and rig it into a lunchbox for $1200. He will guarantee his parts and labor for five years.

Now, he definitely seems to be the top tier telefunken tech from what I've gathered here at GS, but he's asking about $300 more than the next guy who also seems very knowledgable. Does that price seem reasonable?

Also, I've never used a v76...only a v72 (which I love). Are they sonically very similar and do they have the same sort of applications?

Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2004
Lives for gear

Oliver does great work; I've used three different V76s that he worked on - one a full restoration, the other two had simple mods and cleanup - but they all sound fantastic. I had Dave Marquette rack up a pair of V76s a few years ago - I think his rack was $1,000 - and I think the main difference between their racks may have been Oliver's inclusion of a ramp-up circuit for the phantom power (search for a thread on REP regarding this issue; Oliver says spikes from application of phantom power can degrade the transformer over time). I don't know what Dave is charging currently for his dual V76 rack. If Dave isn't using a ramped phantom power circuit, Oliver posted instructions for a very simple mod on REP. Comparing a V76 to a V72, they have similar top-end characteristics, the V76 has more low end and about twice the gain (plus you don't need a pad as you would with a V72). When clients hear tracks cut with a V76 their jaws drop - it's "that sound" from the Sixties. Probably my favorite vocal preamp, but killer on lots of things. Creamy, smooth, phat, etc. Great buy!
Old 23rd December 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks Hud.
Old 23rd December 2004
Lives for gear

Back atcha and best wishes for a Merry Christmas!
Old 23rd September 2005
Lives for gear

I have Oliver racking a pair of V76m's right now. I have to say, that out of all the pres I've ever heard on vocals. They're by far MY favorite. Beatuful strong low end, defined mids and diamond clear top end. thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search