Gear Maniac

Schoep Mic Primer?

I'm intrigued by all the great things I hear about Schoeps
Microphones. I have checked the Schoeps site and the RAP archives but
can't find a straight forward primer on these mics. There seems to be
so many options, and I'd love to just get some basic info. I am
looking primarily for studio use with acoustic instruments. Can any
comparisons be made to standard mics you'd find in the typical studio
mic locker, just as a starting point? Thanks for any help.

rll
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Nut

Hi, my use of Schoeps is limited, but do own an old 221, which is a tube small diaphram, which was also available under the Telefunken brand, I think. I've also used/heard some of their modern stereo mics, including the binaural "globe" shaped one.

All in all, I would generally say that they have an unique sound, unlike the usual Neumann or AKG suspects. They probably have less obvious charecter than Neumann/AKG's, but they're not flat/boring sounding, which is probably one of the reasons it is so popular with classical recordings. They're pretty sensitive also.

I use my 221 on mono or centre drum overheads and acoustic guitar often.
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Addict

If anyone hasn't seen it, there's a really informative response to this question by David Satz over on RAP.
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Addict

RAP post is very informative!! Search "Schoeps primer?"

I'd post a link but I can't figure it out... DOH!
Old 21st January 2003
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Addict

nicely done!
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Addict

Schoeps primer and David Satz

Been using Schoeps mics for years (CMC-5 with MK4 cardioid capsule). Very beautiful sound - kind on strings and other soft instruments. Quiet ! In my early years I was speaking to David Satz about sharing the translation of J. Wuttke's microphone primer because I was translating that stuff for my students here in the US anyway. I found that Wuttke's German is very difficult to translate into English and that David Satz was truly masterful in his work of translation. It is a good primer, certain things come back again and again (mostly because it is a series of articles written at different times, I believe). Keep in mind that it is also very opinionated (coming from a German!) and some statements must be taken with a bit of caution...
I have only the best to say about Schoeps microphones, unfortunately they are a bit expensive. But for less expensive mics that belong to that "line" of sound try the MBHO-Haun.
Cheers

Bernd G
Old 18th February 2003
Lives for gear

For example : Violin section playing Hitchkock's 'Psycho' string hits .... it is definately more psycho with schoeps.

Schoeps has a very 'harsh reality - natural' character ... and that's exactly what I like about them. Very true to the source , sometimes almost with a little hi-fi touch.

They're German ... and that tells a lot about them ... no fuzz ... straight foreward and very much to the point without any detour .... good or bad ... schoeps will capture it for you all right ... like it or not.
Old 23rd February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
For example : Violin section playing Hitchkock's 'Psycho' string hits .... it is definately more psycho with schoeps.

Schoeps has a very 'harsh reality - natural' character ... and that's exactly what I like about them. Very true to the source , sometimes almost with a little hi-fi touch.

They're German ... and that tells a lot about them ... no fuzz ... straight foreward and very much to the point without any detour .... good or bad ... schoeps will capture it for you all right ... like it or not.
I agree with all the above, just would also add that they tend to sound a little bass light, kinda makes them useful for things like acoustic guitars, but sometimes you have to watch that the sound doesn't get a little lightweight or thin, the edge thing really can work on strings.

I don't own any Schoeps apart from a pair of 221b's, but I have used practically the whole range and hire them quite often on an as required basis. As one of the above posters said, they are quite expensive.

Regards

Roland

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search