The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about Eventide's EVE/NET DAW Software
Old 17th December 2004
Gear Nut

Question about Eventide's EVE/NET

Happy Holidays, everyone.

I just got an EVE/NET for my Orville. I'm definitely looking forward to using it - so are my eyes and back for that matter. I was curious, though. Has any one else here noticed one red and one green LED always burning dimly in the leftmost column of the LED display? I thought something was wrong with it, then I noticed the red one doing the same thing in this picture from Eventide's website:

Picture of EVE/NET

I couldn't check the green one because all of the green LED's are fully lit in the photo.

I just want to make sure everything is cool with it.

Thanks a lot,
John
Old 18th December 2004
Gear Nut

Well, I talked to Ray at Eventide today (Ray rocks btw), and he cleared it up for me. Apparently, the dim red and green lights are status indicators (presumably to indicate that everything is working fine). I just thought is was strange since the identical LED meter on the orville itself does not do this.

Something to keep in mind, should any you decide to buy one.

-J
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Head

what is the status on that? Does it still behave the same a few years later, or was it really a bug that had been fixed in an update?

Also I have a question to Eve Net users. What would you say has been your experience with it (with a H8000FW or even an Orville)?
Does it really make a difference? I was thinking of getting one to go with a H800FW but given it doesn't work along with the Pro-Tools
Eve Control (which shall be available very soon now) I am questioning the real benefits considering the cost. Plus my H8000FW will be in a rack
in my project studio, easily accessible for all editing.

I feel like controlling the H8000FW via the plugin would be of a much bigger benefit to me than having a remote front panel (which I can't
use simultaneously with the plugin). The very cool thing would be to use the Eve Net as a control surface for the plugin, but from what I understand
that is just not possible.

Any feedback, impression greatly appreciated.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

The thing with the EVE/NET is you can put your H8000 in rack space anywhere in the studio or even in the machine room with cooling cause the H8000 can run very hot.
I got the EVE/NET for this as in my part of the world summer can get very hot and have the H8000 in close to my in rack was not comfortable as it was adding to the heat in my proximity. So the EVE/Net has solved this.
Also the forthcoming E-Control and the EVE/NET are to different thing as firstly the E-Control has yet to see the light of day. It has in fact been postponed so many times that I'm starting to think it's vaporware. tutt
Also it's only being released as an RTAS and on OS X so you need be on Pro Tools and once it's out will it worked well? The idea with the E-Control is that it's going to offer both recall of presets and automation.
The EVE/NET is a physical controller that gives you all the functionality that you get on the front panel of the H8000 plus the rotary encoders. The ncoders are pretty handy to have and when you're busy with a production and doing some tweaks to presets you feel in control and it's a decent looking unit. If you can get it do so. I love mine.
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear

Eventide Orville box makes humming noise

Hi,
I am too thinking of getting the EVE/NET Remote, but for the following reason:

my ORVILLE unit makes a humming noise. Not on the audio, but the actual box. To an extent that I find the humming annoying when the ORVILLE sits in my Control Room.

Anybody has/had the same problem or knows a fix for this?

I could always get the EVE/NET Remote and put the ORIVILLE in the machine room (along with the Lexicon 960), but first I want to know if all ORVILLE's make this humming noise.

Thanks,
Marc
Old 21st March 2010
Here for the gear

Seems my orville just emits a small highfrequency sound, barely audible.
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Bad latency between Eve/Net and H8000

Hi, I have just installed an Eve/Net Remote to control my H8000FW.

Just curious whether anyone else has noticed a terrible sluggishness?

I am not running the latest OS in my H8000 by the way. I have 5.2 but will update soon. But two questions ...

1) Does 5.5 solve the lag and sluggishness of the Eve/Net

2) I noticed every other time I power up the H8000/ Eve/Net combo I get the following message 'Off Line'. Does anyone know how to solve this probem? Or again, does 5.5 software solve it?

Thanks
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

I don't notice a huge amount of sluggishness with my eve/net controller. I definitely enjoy having one, though. Even when it was racked to my side it's so much nicer to sit in the sweet spot of your monitors while getting tweaky with stereo delays and reverbs. You just put it in your lap, lean back in your chair a little and you're good to go. Just a questions of ergonomics, really, when you can spend 20 minutes just surfing presets it's nice to be comfortable doing it rather than hunched over scrolling through the menus. Also very nice to just turn the knobs to adjust parameters instead of scrolling around.

Of course, I just got an amp rack for behind my console and it was nice to be able to put the main unit in there and free up rack arms-length rack space for another compressor!

My only complaint is the things looks and feels like a Fischer-Price "My first FX remote" box. I guess that's a good thing because I sure wouldn't want the price to go up any!
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Addict

Haiku, I'd call Eventide support directly. My Eve/Net is a touch sluggish. I recall being able to mess with the cable length settings in the Eve/Net setup and that might have something to do with it. A call to Eventide support should clear all your questions up promptly.
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Head

Thanks for your replies Allbread and Spindrift.

I agree, it is a luxury to be able to sit back in a comfy chair with the EveNet in hand and just tweak away to one's heart's content.

I don't mind the way it looks. Like many Eventide products it has a utilitarian no-frills feel and is as uniquely eccentric (in a good way) as much else of what Eventide do, which is what places them apart from the rest of Generica I guess.

I wish they would employ someone to write a good manual for them though!
Old 3rd December 2013
hi guys, a question for users of Eve/Net...

how smooth are the changes of parameters via the rotary encoders? i mean is there clicking/glitching or is it smooth?

i realize there are of course some parameters where its impossible to avoid by the nature of what you control. but im interested in things like pitch shift ammount (cents) and delay times (ms) and filter cutoffs.. would you say this lends itself nicely to realtime tweakage... i.e. while tracking, or its only for programming beforehand i.e. do-not-touch while recording kinda thing?

the ease of working and realtime mambo jumbo you can do with Eve pedals like Timeline and Space, got me thinking, id love to do the same with my Orville. and then theres advantages to have the programmer in front of you and not bend my wrist to do longer editing sessions on my racked unit.

thoughts?

thanks
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Bump - curious about lag/sluggishness with the Eve/Net - please any users chime in!

Also if anyone has a copy of VsigX please PM me, the site for this is down for good..
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Bump once more for help - nobody has an Eve/Net in High End?!
Is it sluggish?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search