The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using the Millennia TCL-2 Stereo Compressor / Limiter for tracking purposes?
Old 11th December 2004
Gear Addict

Anyone using the Millennia TCL-2 Stereo Compressor / Limiter for tracking purposes?

Or is this just strictly a mastering compressor? A friend of mine is thinking of getting one cause he can get it at half price, long story... for another time.
Old 11th December 2004
Moderator emeritus

I do.
Not all that often, but it's certainly workable as a tracking compressor.
Old 11th December 2004
Gear Nut

Re: Anyone using the Millennia TCL-2 Stereo Compressor / Limiter for tracking purposes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiwatt
Or is this just strictly a mastering compressor? A friend of mine is thinking of getting one cause he can get it at half price, long story... for another time.
Is it time yet?
Old 11th December 2004
Dot
Lives for gear

I use a Millennia TCL-2 Twincom compressor quite a bit for tracking. It's transparent enough I'll use it in cases when I don't what to affect the signal with any additional coloration.
Old 12th December 2004
Gear Addict

Thanks Dot, I was hoping some one would say that. That's pretty much what I would want to do with it.

The story so far...

I have a friend who has a studio close to mine, very often he lets me try out his new gear. And very often I end up buying stuff off him for a pretty good price. He is probaly one of the biggest gearslutz I know of. Love's to buy gear just for the hell of it, then sells most of it to buy more. Anywho he also gets good deals on stuff, I guess he has a lot of conections in the industry. So basicaly I can see myself getting a smoking good deal on the twincom somewhere down the line. As I don't know anyone personaly using one I decided to see what the slutz have to say.heh
Old 12th December 2004
Gear Guru

I had one for a few months a year or two ago. I used it for tracking all the time - mainly vocals and some guitar. I was doing a CD for a singer and it worked beautifully. Sorry to see it go . . .
Old 2nd August 2013
This compressor is not talked about much here, but it does appear to be a very good unit. Anyone else use this comp on a 2 bus or at the mastering stage?
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
This compressor is not talked about much here, but it does appear to be a very good unit. Anyone else use this comp on a 2 bus or at the mastering stage?
I'm curious about this question too. It's been 2 years. Any answer or new opinions?
Old 27th June 2015
Gear Maniac
Been using it for many years almost every day.
It's a good a vocal compressor (But a cl-1b, I consider a better vocal compressor). Great for just adding that 3d and aura to your stuff.
I changed my tubes to Telefunken NOS and that really made a difference.
Mullards will give you more musical midrange they say. Havent tried those. Loses a bit of bass with the Telefunkens, but omg what a kaleidoscopic detailed and of harmonic top end. It's a great bus/mastering compressor as well and gives life and sweetness to almost any source. The timing and sweetness makes it not my first choice for drums and bass.
Acoustic guitars, piano and strings on the other hand...
Old 9th February 2016
Lives for gear

Very versatile unit... as it can can operate as a tube or transistors modality gives dimension to the sound..clear as bone.. used by Bob Ludwig in his masterings

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search