The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
preamp configuration
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Maniac

preamp configuration

I know a guy in atlanta who racks up 1272's. Very high quality. He's build 1073's as well as 1272's for Butch Walker(marvelous3) as well as many studios around town.

Anyway, here's my situation: I'm going to have him build rack up 4 1272's for me. He'll build them to my spec....so my question to all of you is What features should I ask for.

I'll be using these probably for overheads,Kick, and snare during drum tracking. Then on all other over dubs(my only other pre's right now are the digimax/some joemeek stuff)

your feed back would be appreciated(i/o, phase reverse.....)

thanks
Old 15th January 2003
member no 666

Make sure you have control over the gain of the input as well as the output amplifiers... in theory, they should be controlled by the same gain changing device [stepped fixed resistors, one set for the input amp, one set for the output amp], but there are other ways to do these gain changes.

If you only have gain control over the input amplifier... you can get into some pretty whacky **** [not necessarily in a good way]. Polarity reverse and a DI that goes through the input transformer can come in damn handy as well.

Best of luck.
Old 17th January 2003
Gear Maniac

thanks Fletcher,

very helpfull. What about a trs insert point?
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Guru

I agree with Fletcher about adding Polarity reverse. I would also add a Phantom on/off
and possibly a low cut and a pad.
Old 19th January 2003
One with big hooves

Having a DI with a through out so you loop back to an amp is great and will come in handy. I'd get phase, switchable phantom and a -20dB pad on the mic input too. I haven't found much of a use for insert points on mic pres but YMMV. Oh, and all connections (except DI) on XLR's.
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Maniac

thanks for you help guys. I got 4-1272's racked in a 3u case: seperate gain for input and output, a fet DI on one channel, the front has input/output gain controls, switches for phase, phantom power, and a pad..........back has xlr i/o. I'll try and post a picture

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search