The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Speck etc vs older fullsize consoles
Old 13th January 2003
Here for the gear

Speck etc vs older fullsize consoles

Hi all!

great forums here!

Ok, the question..I'd like to have an analogue summing mixer to sum a whole bunch of synths/samplers/fx and disk based audio tracks. How does the speck sonically compare for this purpose to buying some older analogue console, say a sony 3036 for arguments sake? I don't need mic pre's, and I could live I suppose with outboard eq's since I tend to write with existing sounds so the sounds don't typically need a lot of tweaking.

So, the speck, given it has no eq and no pres, how does it rack up for sheer sonic performance next to a full size console? Opinions sought! How about if I had a speck then ran the stereo output through something like an avalon 747, the stereo job?

My room is typical home studio, genelec 1031's, diffusors etc but not a real pro room, tho it works...in a perfect world whatever I got would not be huge but I'll buy huge if I need and figure out how to fit it! Currently I have a Yamaha 03d, with a promix (gaaak) submixer for clangy dx7 sounds thhat are already metallic so I figured it could cope!

Music styles are all over the place, I do music for tv and some film (yeah yeah no tv fidelity jokes pleeeeze, I want my stuff to sound good to me even if most hear through the tv..)

The Manley looks great but 16 channels is just a little short of what I would like to be running, ideally I could just leave my gear patched in all the time so that would require probably 32 channels. Any suggestions of other consoles to consider? Budget ideally under 10k... but who knows!

Thanks to all, especially gearslutz for putting us all together!
Old 13th January 2003
It's hard to find a proper analogue console with 32 channels that will fit in a home (spare room) studio. The Sony you picked is certainly pretty big. Not the ideal summing console unless it's customised IMO anyway.
Old 13th January 2003
Here for the gear

thanks for your reply..

so what *would* be a bettter choice as a summing console then?

note my spare room studio is bigger than most as a have a machine room and my rack gear is all sunk into a archway I cut into the wall, so the room is pretty well empty except for writing keyboard station and monitors. I could actually fit something the size of the sony if pushed. I missed a deal on a trident the other day, sigh :-(
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear