The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ear 660
Old 3rd May 2009
  #31
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
They are awesome vocal comps. The problem is that you will want a pair because they absolutely kill on the 2buss.
++1
Old 29th March 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

I bought a pair today. I'm very excited!
They are replacing my Focusrite 330. I picked them because i need a pair of comp/ limiter with a big bottom for House music.
Hopefully, i won't be disappointed.
First time ever I spend so much moolah on a stereo comp! They better stands to its reputation!
Old 30th March 2011
  #33
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
I bought a pair today. I'm very excited!
They are replacing my Focusrite 330. I picked them because i need a pair of comp/ limiter with a big bottom end for House music.
Hopefully, i won't be disappointed.
First time I spend so much moolah on a stereo comp! They better stand to its reputation!
EAR660s are serious Alex. Serious. Big Bottom? Dude. You can make faces melt with this compressor. I'm talking about the faces in the room when you use it. Bass and Vocals dude. Ya. That's what I would patch, but sure, yea, go ahead and put em on anything. Impressive is a good way to describe it.
Old 30th March 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Love you, man! That's what i want to hear... I'm having this panicky moment wondering if that was a reasonable thing to do...
Old 30th March 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
I'm having this panicky moment wondering if that was a reasonable thing to do...
Relax. You're about to experience 3D in a way you never heard before. Both with electronica and real instruments.

In an earlier post a couple years ago I suggested doing 2dB of reduction tops. Make that 1dB. Actually stay around 1/2dB for the most part. And always full knee. You can easily dig in and it is a crusher that will even shame the notorious TG1 BUT for buss duties stay extremely subtle. There is a lot happening the meters don't tell you!
Old 30th March 2011
  #36
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
ha,I just sold my pair.
in this climate,I actually couldn't justify keeping them.
very different to the 330!
super great tracking comps for bass/vox
mixbuss wise,can be amazing,can also be kinda one trick ponies .
I loved them.
funny i had friends who tried mine and just didn't get it..to each his own.

sound really good on certain mix buss apps...but my be too slow for others[faster heavy rock/thick layered faster pop]..also can be a bit finicky setting up[sweet spot] certianly not what I would call "versatile".
GR wise,just a dab will do ya..on stereo mixes I'd usually would do just a db or less of gain reduction.
but.. when they're set right on the right material they're ace!
also try em on the drum buss on limit mode.yikes.
and they will do great things to the low end..like stay big and thick.
the other thing I noticed sonically is they kinda soften/round the outer edges of the stereo mix a bit..[listen on headphones]..hence for a more modern sheen i'd go to a more clean aggressive/shiny option like obsidian,shadow hills,etc..but sometimes the 660's in conjunction with something more modern.
enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
I bought a pair today. I'm very excited!
They are replacing my Focusrite 330. I picked them because i need a pair of comp/ limiter with a big bottom for House music.
Hopefully, i won't be disappointed.
First time ever I spend so much moolah on a stereo comp! They better stands to its reputation!
Old 30th March 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
In an earlier post a couple years ago I suggested doing 2dB of reduction tops. Make that 1dB. Actually stay around 1/2dB for the most part. And always full knee. You can easily dig in and it is a crusher that will even shame the notorious TG1 BUT for buss duties stay extremely subtle. There is a lot happening the meters don't tell you!
I appreciate the Tip syra, i'll use your recommendation as a base start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
ha,I just sold my pair.
Yeah! I saw that...I was following it. Almost bought them but thought about it too much...Snooze, you lose! heh

I used to alternate the 330 with a G384fx on the mixbus so may be i'll need to combine the 660's + 384 if i need more punch on the outputs...
Old 31st March 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
I used to alternate the 330 with a G384fx on the mixbus so may be i'll need to combine the 660's + 384 if i need more punch on the outputs...
My pair usually comes right after the SSL comp so they do work great as a combo.

One last thing: try to set the input around 9 o'clock. You'll be driving the tubes slightly more which gives the signature EAR midrange. However since there is no output control you'll notice now the level is higher than unity. Follow it up with another piece that you can use to bring the level down. I use a backbone which is very transparent. Actually the EARs appear as an insert in the BB.
Old 31st March 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
My pair usually comes right after the SSL comp so they do work great as a combo.

One last thing: try to set the input around 9 o'clock. You'll be driving the tubes slightly more which gives the signature EAR midrange. However since there is no output control you'll notice now the level is higher than unity. Follow it up with another piece that you can use to bring the level down. I use a backbone which is very transparent. Actually the EARs appear as an insert in the BB.
Thanks so much Syra, I appreciate your suggestions, really!
Can't wait to hear the result running a mix through 2x 1081's > 2x Eqp1a's > G384 > 2x 660's
Got my pants wet already! heh

Last edited by alexstringer; 31st March 2011 at 03:33 PM..
Old 31st March 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Can't wait to hear the result running a mix through 2x 1081's > 2x Eqp1a's > G384 > 2x 660's
Besides an 8200 in the place of the 1081s, that's my exact chain for 80% of the stuff I do!
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear