The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Opinions on most badass "non-character" console
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Head

Opinions on most badass "non-character" console

OK, everybody loves Neve 80's, API's, and Trident 80's. So what's everybody's high end opinion on the best damn analog console(s) that effect the sound as little as possible but are just as solid as the transformer based monsters?
Old 13th January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

9098i.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 13th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

What SM said. Except, I think the 9098i has quite a few transformers in it -- at least one per channel. Ted, can you confirm?

(and post some pix of yours, please!)
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quadriple double ditto. 9098. Not my fav, but clean as they come.
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

Well....

U ppl knows what i am gona say.. i would kinda be letting the team down if i said something else!..lolheh

What else am i gona say but the custom 8024...(one of 3) that i used to work on... Its all i have ever really known and its still bitchin all these years and it just clicked over 30 yrs old!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Except, I think the 9098i has quite a few transformers in it! At least one per channel.
I thought the basis of the 9098 series was that Rupert was abandoning the transformer for a new type of circuit that he dubbed 'Transformer Like Amplifier' which was designed to reduce the cross over distorion figures somewhat compared to traditional input and output tranformers. They are also designed to accomdate more headroom... like more than +26 dBU.. This was a quick surmation from an article printed in the Australin magazine 'Audio Technology' which had a two issue insight and chat with (God, Sir insert favourite superlative!!!heh ) Rupert.. Well worth a read if u can find it.. if anyoen is interested in getting back copies.. PM me..

Suffice to say it does look like a MOFO of a console and would be very nice... i would dearly cream my jeans if i could get a listen on a daking console cos i rekon for the $$$ they are untouchable if they are gona be just like the outboard!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 13th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

I was playing with a 72-channel 9098i at Battery Studios in London a few years back, we took a channel out of it and I swear there was more stuff in there and weight than I've probably ever seen in a channel strip. I seem to recall that there was a good-sized round iron trannie on each channel.

Anyway...the three modern great analog desks are the 9098i, the 9k and the 88R. All are fantastic tools to work with. If you are choosing one of them, it comes down to personal preference as an engineer, plus potential issues like servicing/maintenance, price, financing, and client draw.
Old 13th January 2003
Its funny, I've worked on the 9098 and while it doesn't have the character of a Neve, it definitely has a sound.

Most non character?

Even though I've never worked on one, I've heard from others that have...the GML console is pretty transparent.

I think you can put the Euphonix CS3000 on that list as well.

The Focusrite console is comparable to the 9098 in some respects.
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

I would agree on the Euphonix CS3000. Not much sound of it's own. In fact, I'd say I could clearly hear the differences between different multitracks playing back the same tape on the 3000 more than any other console I've used.

Assuming you can deal with the ergonomics, I'd say a CS3000 would have to look strong in a bang-for-the-buck, neutral sounding console.

Not that that means I prefer the way it sounds. A bit "dry" for me, though I did mix some #1 records on it, so it obviously can get the job done.

Personally, I prefer "character" consoles. But for a recallable, clean analog console, it's got to be a good value these days with their pricies having fallen so far. However, if it's about warming anything up a bit, the 3000 is going to do you no good.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 13th January 2003
member no 666

IMHO the 9K and the 88R are good for selling time... the 9098i will just sit there are sound ****ing amazing... but it wasn't marketed well enough to have the major 'sheep factor draw' of a desk that says SSL or the "N" word on the centre section...
Old 13th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Before I look at any other replies and without knowing much about its features, I'm gonna say the Millennia Mix Suite is probably the least colored console you can find.
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Addict

I'll second the Euphonix CS3000/2000. We have one in our studio and it is definately failry neutral sounding and very clean. Still has a great sound, punchy and clear. We are most happy with it.

Plus, the total recall is very handy.
Old 15th January 2003
Lives for gear

Calrec UA-8000 "Polar"

The Calrec UA-8000 "Polar"

And yes, it is transformer balanced all over; inputs, outputs, hell even insert points and tb mic inputs. All Lundall transformers.

Completely transparant sound.

Only bad thing is that the channel compressors are a bit too subtle for use as an effect. Not that they dont compress, you just dont hear them as much as you sometimes may want (like the SSL's). I was told the comp's vere co-designed with Mr. Mases of Maselec.

I have a complete DIY project of the UA8000's EQ module - PQ1549 - on my page, for those that want to have a shot on a project like that:

www.gyraf.dk

Jakob E.
Old 15th January 2003
Lives for gear

I wouldn't really call the Calrec UA-8000 "neutral".

I would call it my favorite sounding console I've ever mixed on, though. IMO, the most overlooked and underrated modern console ever made, sonically. There were (are?) 3 in the USA. I worked on all 3 at different points. Just a killer sounding console.

BTW, Denny at Alpha Audio, home of a 56 input UA-8000, had a dynamics mod that was great. Really made the compressors come to life.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 15th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
I wouldn't really call the Calrec UA-8000 "neutral".

I would call it my favorite sounding console I've ever mixed on, though. IMO, the most overlooked and underrated modern console ever made, sonically. There were (are?) 3 in the USA. I worked on all 3 at different points. Just a killer sounding console.

At one point, I was offered the UA8000 from Little Javalina (from what's-his-name at East Iris after they bought the SSL) for "under $50K". I seriously considered it, but since (A) I'm not a tech and (B) I talked to the tech who had been keeping running, I passed. I'm still not sure if that was all that wise...

By the way, Brian - I was working across the street from you this morning - I started to come bang on the door, but didn't. I'm back over there on Tuesday morning - wanna go eat?
Old 15th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
By the way, Brian - I was working across the street from you this morning - I started to come bang on the door, but didn't. I'm back over there on Tuesday morning - wanna go eat?
You mean Thursday?

BT
Old 16th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
You mean Thursday?

BT
What day is today? Oh - the computer says it's wednesday - I didn't realize... No, I'm over there next week - Monday for a 6, and back on Tuesday morning.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search