The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
TELEFUNKEN USA
Old 19th November 2004
Lives for gear

TELEFUNKEN USA

Telefunken USA has absolutely blown my mind! I have compared their remake of the Elam 251 with a (2) real 251s, (2) U67, (1) U47 and (1) C12 and it destroyed them. It sounds bigger, fatter, and clearer. It is the best damn mic I have ever heard. Anyone in the market should try their line out before buying anything. They have mics in various price ranges. I am getting a M-14 ($2300) tomorrow. I will let you know how it is. This topic was not created to be debated. Please do not post telling us how you have a XXXX and how much better it is. Start a different thread if you want to debate mics. I just wanted to let people know, I do not work for or benefit in any way from saying this.... but these mics are amazing! Good luck to anyone who is in the market for a mic. They are the heat.-Kris

Uses So Far: Male Vocal, Female Vocal, AC Guitar, and EL Guitar.
Old 19th November 2004
Lives for gear

...pretty sweet...pretty sweet...
Old 20th November 2004
Gear Maniac

I am a telefunkenhalic so it is no surprise to me that you were amazed by their product.
Old 20th November 2004
Lives for gear

Right On! Here is a recent true story....

A few weeks ago I recorded a female BGV track for a rock band using my new Tele USA Elam 251 on her. I just got it the day before. After recording her, I had to go back and bring the lead singer in to do his parts again because the Elam sounded so much bigger than the U67 used for the lead! The background tracks sounded warmer and with such a sweet top end that they made the lead sound like it was recorded poorly in comparison. The signal chain on the female BGV was:

Elam 251 (6072a)======> Pendulum Audio Quartet 1===> Pro Tools HD.

The original Lead (U67) was recorded with:

U67====> Avalon pre===> API 4-band parametric EQ===> Api 525 compressor===> PT HD

The lead was recut with the same chain as it was with the U67 and now it feels great. It was crazy that I had to do that. It was either; shrink the BGV or raise the roof on the lead, so naturally I went for what sounds bigger (and the fact that with pro tools you never really have to replace). In the end, the lead gave a stellar performance that was better then the original anyway. The biggest difference was the new open sound to the vocals. They sit better, and the make the voices sound like they are the size of a mountain. Crazy stuff! That mic is GOD. Don't try it, unless you plan to buy it. Like all great things it is addictive.-Kris
Old 20th November 2004
Gear Addict

Care to post some samples? I am very interested to hear the before and after.
Old 20th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by xaos
Care to post some samples? I am very interested to hear the before and after.
I would love to, but I am not the owner of the masters. I don't feel comfortable posting without permission, and I don't feel right asking. Sorry!

I can record some sound samples of the mic not related to this project, and I can post clips of the final after the project is mastered in January.

I will try to record some samples of the mic.... how do I post them here?
Old 20th November 2004
Gear Head

Wonderful results are a good thing...... right on!

Hey Chris,
Just wanted to thank you for all of your support & kindness. Without people like you we would not be able to do what we do. We hope you enjoy the microphones for many years to come. Please let us know what you think of our "M 14"

All the guy's at the office send there regards.
Old 20th November 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by 84K
The original Lead (U67) was recorded with:

U67====> Avalon pre===> API 4-band parametric EQ===> Api 525 compressor===> PT HD

Maybe you should have tried it without the 525 compressor?

These days i can't even get myself to place a compressor in the chain especially when i am digging the vibe between the singer and mic.

And the 525 has its own signature.

I am also curious to hear the new Tele 251 for myself.
Old 21st November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Maybe you should have tried it without the 525 compressor?

These days i can't even get myself to place a compressor in the chain especially when i am digging the vibe between the singer and mic.

And the 525 has its own signature.

I am also curious to hear the new Tele 251 for myself.
I hear you. Like everything else, it is all in what you are going for. For this project, we are going for a real natural "5 guys in a room" rock thing. The lead singer seems to really shine with no effects on his vocals. Just a little delay (the kind that's inaudible when the whole track is playing), and with a lot of tasteful compression to capitolize on the cool rock n roll subtle inflections. The U67 is actually my favorite mic for use in that type of vibe (ala Jagger in "Sympathy For The Devil"). The API has a nice classic sound to its compression that works well for this singer. It has a lot of "that" attitude. The Elam is just so fat and clear that it is over-powering to other mics. I still love the U67 and would choose it is certain applications, but the Elam is overall the best mic in most instances.
Old 22nd November 2004
Gear Guru

Re: TELEFUNKEN USA

Quote:
Originally posted by 84K
Telefunken USA has absolutely blown my mind! I have compared their remake of the Elam 251 with a (2) real 251s, (2) U67, (1) U47 and (1) C12 and it destroyed them.
No offense but those 4 mics should all be different ... not better.

Phrases like 'mic X destroyed all others' make little sense when they are so dfferent.
Old 22nd November 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: TELEFUNKEN USA

Quote:
Originally posted by lucey
No offense but those 4 mics should all be different ... not better.

Phrases like 'mic X destroyed all others' make little sense when they are so dfferent.
Ahhh, Mr. Lucey. How have you been?

Well, in some ways I said that later in the paragraph. I didn't go on in the 'they all have their own colour' and 'blah-blah-blah' because I figured that was obvious. No need to write the obvious (after all, this is the high end section of the forum and most people who go here know about this stuff).

I was talking about a comparison in perception of size, depth, and clarity (among other things) based on various applications. The Elam 251 has a 'less dominate' colour then say... a U47. This of course, is a plus and a minus. There is a fine line on how much colour I like a mic to add and the Elam 251 nails it for me. Few mics stand out when compared to the mics in this shootout. I may have been a little too excited when I typed the post, but I still feel the same way. If someone is looking for the best tube microphone for use in many different applications, that will perform in any recording situation, I feel the Elam 251 is superior to the others for many reasons.

1. The Number 1 reason is: it holds its own and it is BRAND NEW. No old mic problems a lot of us have to deal with when owning vintage gear.

2. The sound is huge (for those who didn't know or have not yet had the pleasure). When I put (2) Elam 251s on room duty for rock Drums, it yields stereo imaging that is wide and plush(too many descriptive words at once can be scrambling, but there are many that apply)

3. It is the best mic I have tried that is currently being made. I have not tried every single mic being made, but I have tried a lot of the heavyweights and I make this statement without any reservations.

4. The price just dropped. It is now competitively priced with the high end Brauner and Corby microphones. That reason alone makes this microphone a conversation. In my testing, I have concluded that I will never buy another vintage microphone again. I will prefer reliability with no sacrifice of sound over the coolness of having old/vintage gear that breaks or requires frequent servicing. This microphone brought me to that conclusion(no, that does not mean that my vintage mics are for sale.) As Mr. Lucey said, 'they are so different.' If you can afford that luxury, that is great. Given the accuracy in this remake, I believe that Telefunken could remake any microphone they chose to(I have not yet tried their C12 or U47 clones, but I have high expectations)

I started this post for people who are looking for a nice high end tube mic. The purpose is to advise them that it is worth their time checking out the Telefunken USA stuff. Like I said earlier, this thread was not created to debate which is better. In short(a little late for that), basically, I have tried a new high end tube mic against many classic mics and in a worst case scenario, it holds its own. I did not feel that way about any of the other new high $$$ tube mics I have tried (Brauner VM-1, Corby). I do not think my word should be taken as fact (I would never be so vein), so I advise anyone in the market for an 'expensive top level tube mic' to check it out. Good Luck To All, And Happy Thanksgiving to all! and I hope this clarified my previous statements.~Kris
Old 22nd November 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: TELEFUNKEN USA

Quote:
Originally posted by 84K
[

I started this post for people who are looking for a nice high end tube mic. The purpose is to advise them that it is worth their time checking out the Telefunken USA stuff. Like I said earlier, this thread was not created to debate which is better.
Well in all fairness you have compared the Telefunken to other mics and made some comparative assertions about it. It's sort of the nature of these forums to debate assertions such as these. (Of course, if someone is going to challenge you I'd hope that they had some experience with he mic themselves.)

But in any case, thanks for the tip--I'd love to try this mic myself.

-R
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: TELEFUNKEN USA

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
Well in all fairness you have compared the Telefunken to other mics and made some comparative assertions about it. It's sort of the nature of these forums to debate assertions such as these. (Of course, if someone is going to challenge you I'd hope that they had some experience with he mic themselves.)

But in any case, thanks for the tip--I'd love to try this mic myself.

-R
I agree.

I should have my M14 tomorrow, which is a $2,300 mic from Tele USA. I will give my full report after a few uses. This is a more affordable mic (although still expensive), and it could be a steal if it delivers the goods for vocals. I will post my findings.-Kris
Old 23rd November 2004
Gear Addict

>>I would love to, but I am not the owner of the masters. I don't feel comfortable posting without permission, and I don't feel right asking. Sorry! <<

EVERY artist I work with would not mind a good vocal clip posted; not the whole track, just a part. And it would help us hear what you're enthusing about. Who wouldn't want a bunch of people INTERESTED in their new track, maybe buying a few dozen CDs among us because they liked the tidbit of a vocal sample...?

I am starving for good new music, and gear interests us all. Sounds like a winning option. Ask them!
Old 23rd November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianK
>>I would love to, but I am not the owner of the masters. I don't feel comfortable posting without permission, and I don't feel right asking. Sorry! <<

EVERY artist I work with would not mind a good vocal clip posted; not the whole track, just a part. And it would help us hear what you're enthusing about. Who wouldn't want a bunch of people INTERESTED in their new track, maybe buying a few dozen CDs among us because they liked the tidbit of a vocal sample...?

I am starving for good new music, and gear interests us all. Sounds like a winning option. Ask them!
The masters are owned by the record label financing the project, so the artist is not even the person to ask. Sorry, I am not going to call the label to get clearance so I can place mic samples on the internet. They have invested a lot of money in this project. When the album is complete, I will be happy to post samples of complete and finished songs provided I receive the (legal) required approval.

I am sure the band would love for you guys to listen to their stuff, and I fully intend on directing you to their website when the website is up (they have been working on it) and the songs are there.

I will probably have something before this project is finished that I can post with a more simple means to approval. If so, I will do so. Right now, this project is occupying most of my time. I look forward to getting feedback from you guys when it is done. Mastering is in January. Thanks!~Kris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search