The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trakker Opto settings?
Old 10th January 2003
Trakker Opto settings?

Just wondering how you all are setting your trakkers in the opto mode. I've got great results with the hard knee mode (similar to 1176) but can't find a setting the rivals the Distressors opto mode yet. Any suggestions?
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

There is something groovy about the opto mode on the Distressor, probably because it's so easy to dig in deep with it!

Glancing over at my trakker it's set to optical clean - (I seem to usually choose that for some reason, maybe the clean mode compensates a little more for the overall "softer" sound of the opto) attack around 5.5, rel around 3, knee 4.5, and dig in with the threshhold as much as desired.

This is a common starting point for me, especially for bass and often vocals. The Distressor seems to invite abusing, but the trakker can do some wild stuff too if you push it. Make it work - drop the release to 0, crank the threshold, whatever.

Have fun.
Old 10th January 2003
What do you mean by 'rival'? The Opto settings on the Trakker sound more like the real deal to me than the Distressor (not that means either one is "better" than the other).
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

Well, not to put words in the mans mouth - but I think he was saying that the Distressor is fairly plug and play in opto mode. You more or less know what you are going to get and oftentimes it works well.

With the trakker you have lots of different options, some which are more like the real thing but not necessarily similar to the Distressor.

My 2¢.
Old 10th January 2003
Yea what he said. You took the words right out of my mouth. Every opto sounds different of course but I really like the Distressor Opto with the 10 and 1 thing as is stated on the chasi. The problem is I don't have both.
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Addict

I had 'Crane Song' make me an insert cable and I've been using an EQ with the suggested 'Fairchild' setting. I must say; I just mixed an entire record (female with kind of a low voice) and after making a few passes using the 'Air-Optical', etc. settings and the 'Fairchild' style setting...the later became the vibe for almost the entire record. Just couldn't beat it.

The 'Opto' setting on the 'Distressor' is such a guaranteed "This will work" setting. It's like really good pot. You smoke it and you get high!

Benjy
Old 11th January 2003
member no 666

When the "distressor" was first released, many, many moons ago... there were no real 'chameleon' like compressors on the market, so the concept that a compressor could do so many things, and have so many sounds was kind of a foreign concept. The "opto" setting, while different from that of a real "opto" based compressor, was none the less a usable facimile of an "opto" based compressor.

The "Trakker"s gain reduction cell employs DSP control to allow it to behave more like the gain reduction cells that were incorporated in some of our favorite old units... and seeing that Empirical Labs had paved the path for compression units that could be of many characters... the "emulation" characteristics were much more readily accepted than when the EL-8 was released.

With that said... the two units are exceptionally versatile, and exceptionally different sounding in tone, texture, and method of operation and should never be viewed as even marginally interchangable.
Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

Benjy,
tell me more about the Eq insert cable...I may borrow a friend's Trakker and would like to try the "Fairchildren" setting with the Eq insert.

Will Cranesong make me one?
Thanks
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Addict

insert cable

Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
Benjy,
tell me more about the Eq insert cable...I may borrow a friend's Trakker and would like to try the "Fairchildren" setting with the Eq insert.

Will Cranesong make me one?
Thanks

Hey,
I looked around my studio thinking maybe it had come with the unit and I had misplaced it (duh!). So I called them up. They were SO nice and offered to make me a cable immediately. I had it a few days later.

Benjy
Old 11th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
With that said... the two units are exceptionally versatile, and exceptionally different sounding in tone, texture, and method of operation and should never be viewed as even marginally interchangable. [/B]

Now that's an accurate statement!

When I first got the Trakker and read the emulation suggestions I thought, "What the heck? I *never* do stuff like this". So I set up the the Distressor and the Trakker with the 1176 setting suggestions (as well as others). Crazy different! And I do mean crazy different. Although I have had Distressors since day one, it was at that moment that I realized how much the Distressor is 'It's own thing'.
Benjy
Old 11th January 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks,
I'll give them a call.
I know what you mean about the distressor and the the Trakker.I've been using both for the last few days,and although the Distressor was my first "nice" compressor I never really realized how much color/crunchiness it had until comparing it to the Trakker.They really seem to work well together.I've been using the Distressor on Kick and snare and the Trakker on Bass and some vocals,some snares at mixdown.
I'm anxious to "track" with the Trakker.
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

I use the trakker in opto mode to level off transients so I can get hotter at A/D conversion.

I like opto on vocals, but when doing about 10db compression several times a second, it seems to level off all dynamics. Which makes things sound kind of wierd. Sometimes that extreme tonally transparent leveling is very usefull.

I haven't messed around with the distressor opto mode very much. I tried it a few times on vocals, and like the trakker, with about 10db peak compression, it sounded dynamically flat. Tonally though, it didn't sound nearly as good as the trakker. The source sounded crappified.

I also use trakker opto on distorted geetar, so all that high frequency distortion doesn't dominate the tone.

Are there any other super versatile comps? Between these two, and the L2, I feel like I am missing -nothing-. Vari-mu seems interesting, but I can get mix and bus "gelling" through other means.
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Benjy King
I had 'Crane Song' make me an insert cable and I've been using an EQ with the suggested 'Fairchild' setting. I must say; I just mixed an entire record (female with kind of a low voice) and after making a few passes using the 'Air-Optical', etc. settings and the 'Fairchild' style setting...the later became the vibe for almost the entire record. Just couldn't beat it.

The 'Opto' setting on the 'Distressor' is such a guaranteed "This will work" setting. It's like really good pot. You smoke it and you get high!

Benjy
How do you set the eq? By insert you mean sidechain right?
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

Fae,
I'm pretty sure it's a sidechain eq but you do need a funky "Db9" connector to make it happen.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear