The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone own or used the Acoustic Science Tube traps? Bass Traps
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

Anyone own or used the Acoustic Science Tube traps?

I just ordered the Quick sound filed and the bass trap speaker stands with the high end traps on top. And then the 8 studio traps that come as the quick sound field. I wanted the whole attack wall but thought I would start with this and then ad on if it's great. Just looking to see if any of you have heard or used it?
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

I have 9 of the standard "Studio Traps" on stands, that I use like a sparser version of their "attack wall" idea when mixing, or I put them up around a vocalist/instrumentalist as diffusive gobos when tracking. I think they're great, very adaptable and very effective.

-dave
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

Hey Dave, VERY happy to hear that as I didn't actually speak to anyone that had them outside of the company nor did I ever see them in action and I researched it fairly well short of that but was a little nervous about the $ commitment sight unseen if ya know what I mean? :>) Pricey but I feel they will be worth every penny. So you didn't get the speaker stands? They seem to think that was vital to my needs as they bass trap immediatly. I will be using mine just how you are using yours and if ya don't mind would like to pick your brain about it when they arrive? I'm sure the company will take care of me well too but it wouldn't hurt to get more opinions for users. Thanks for your reply. Can't wait to get um.
Old 10th January 2003
High End Moderator

Tube Traps rock! Good investment. I have 8 of the standard studio traps. They come in very handy when tuning a room for reflections. Try this: have the bass player play his bass through an amp (or have the drummer kick his bass drum), then hold the tube in both hands halfway up the tube and slowly walk around the room. When you can feel the tube "vibrating" most, put it down right there. That means it's absorbing the most vibrations in that position in the room.

They have two different sides, a harder one and a more absorbing one (the more absorbing one is identyfied by a chrome nail on the side of the tube), comes in handy when tuning the room for cymbals.

For vocals I place all 8 of them behind the mic, gives a nice direct vocal sound.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

This is great news. Thanks for the tips. I thought they were going to be great. I should get them in a couple weeks. Michael do you also have the Crane song Hedd? I am looking into that box but still have not yet heard it and there are none in stock in Nashville. I met you a few years ago. About 4 I think? I am Mitch Malloy. How have you been? I'm doing good. Have built my studio up quite a bit and having fun with it. Running Nuendo for the last 3 years with the RME convertors. LOVE Nuendo but looking for better convertors. Making my new record now and producing other acts as well. I would love to come by and hear your Crane song Hedd if you have one and your still in Nashville? That is if you have any down time? :>)
Old 10th January 2003
no ssl yet
I built my own version of the Tube Trap using the Jon Risch info and a slight adaptation of my own. Has anyone built these?? (I'll try to find a link to post) How do they compare to the real units??? (Hopefully well since I"ve built an entire attack wall/room setup)

My only question about the attack wall is how do you guys in rooms open to the public stop drunk/high musicians from stumbling over one and knocking a wall down??? LOL

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm
Old 10th January 2003
High End Moderator

Mitch great to see you here. Check your email
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

LOL! LOL! I didn't think of that. Lets see,,,,,,, Drunk high musicians? HUm,,,,,, Well, I am in Nashville and as I do recall that being a musician trait in this town it aint. I do mostly rock though but still,,,,,,,, Funny though.....

Thanks for the welcom Michael. Good to be here. Where have I been all this time? This is my kinda site for sure. I only just heard about it from some guy on the Nuendo forum making fun of me cause I was trying to better my rig and asking about gear. LOL. I guess it's already better than most of theirs? Not good enough though. You guys on this forum are my heros. LOL. I'll call ya.
Old 10th January 2003
Super Moderator

Tube traps are a great quick fix. It's an easy way to get a controlled enviroment fast.

We have many Studio Traps (the ones on stand) plus others that are install in our new dual-expanding wall remote truck.

We use our Studio Traps during on location work, either to create a studio area or as a control room space...
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Guru

Re: Anyone own or used the Acoustic Science Tube traps?

Ian,

> thought I would start with this and then ad on if it's great. <

For detailed information on bass traps and related issues see my company's site:

www.realtraps.com

Especially the Acoustics Facts and Fiction page.

--Ethan
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

The Studio Traps have been high on my wish list ever since I used them on a vocal/harmonica tracking session at another studio...

Anyone got some crappy used ones they want to sell me?
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

I have nine studio traps surrounding a drum kit in a 9 x 15 trapazoid shaped booth and another 12 in the main room. I guess I'm a believer, sure helps with mic placement, phasing issues and the like. I've done comparative recordings and there is a great difference in presence, clarity, focus, all that crap. I think the're a great investment and like great analog gear, will never become obsolete. (uh... I hope)
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

I finally got them Thur. I have a rather large control room and I'm tracking live mics in it with Headphones. It works nicely. What is the best way to suround the 251 mic with these studio traps for voclas? I have a bit of a slap in the room. It's 32 by 20. Vaulted ceilings. Slanted walls. Carpeted. I can still hear the slap slightly with the traps around the mic really tight as I can get them around it and still fit inside to sing. I tried alternating one dead side one live side. Is this best? The speaker stands with the top trap things on top of the speakers are pretty amazing. They made my mackies sound like almost different speakers.
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Having a group of 6 to 8 traps surrounding the mic you would need to place a piece of rigid fiberglass on top of the array to keep the sound from escaping upwards. I think that would prevent the slap. I like either half reflective inwards or all of them. I built a great vocal booth with them using an acoustically treated corner. The singers I've so far worked with love it. Check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone own or used the Acoustic Science Tube traps?-p1310354.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

I was thinking that very same thing. That I needed a roof abd wondering why they didn't say anything about that? I'm sure they knew it. But I was thinking that maybe they made somthing that could lay accross the top or I could just fold a thick blanket and put it accross the top. I will try that today. I liked the way it sounded all dead but I think it sounds better all live. It's amazing how you can really hear it brighten up when you turn them around. Either way it sounds rich and defined and tha is why I alternated them. Interesting the way you have some down low. Maybe I need to try that? Won't be as easy to get rid of the slap I shouldn't think that way though. The speaker stands with that trap that sits on top of your speakers is prety amazing. What I feared though was that as soon as I got 8 I was going to want 8 more as my room is so big. The thing is I really need 16 more as I need the wall around me at all times and then I could have 8 for tracking while the wall of 16 is always up. But $$$$$$$$$..... where do I get a piece of plexiglass?
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

where do I get a piece of plexiglass?

Well, any decent building supply (ie. Home Depot) will have it and cut it to what size you want.
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

Really? I did know know that. Thanks, I'll get back to you on that one. I think today I might try acoustic guitar with the traps. Should be great. I was wondering what they would do for drums but I think after hearing them on vocals I have a pretty good idea. How do you use them for drums?
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

How's this?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone own or used the Acoustic Science Tube traps?-drum-room.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

Ya know there is no Sub. for pictures. :>) Is that auralex? I almost went that route but decided against it. I had a quote to do the whole room for $750. LOL. BUT then I remebered these traps and thought it best to go this way. I have some auralex up. I guess it's ok for what it is but doesn't really seem to do much? I'lll attach some pics here soon. I gotta clean up first. :>) What I meant though was how do you have them twisted for drums?
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

I did my whole room with this metro design by Auralex, wood floor along with the bass trapped cieling with those reflective wood strips keeps it more live. So far no one has complained.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone own or used the Acoustic Science Tube traps?-piano.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

I didn't mean on the walls. That looks AWSOME. I was referring to the stuff on the bottom of your drum set up. That thing on the cieleing? Is that really helping. I need that pretty bad I think. Your place looks really sharp. And that Auralex looks really pro. What is that style called?
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Sorry Mitch, I got so involved in the picture thing I forgot to answer your question. I always use the reflective sides in on the kit.
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

Floors maple? VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

And that is the metal bottun right?
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

I guess with the metal in it brightens and tightens? NOt really sure yet as I just got them but that seems to be the thing.
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

It's all Auralex. I fashioned the baffles out of wood and sheetblock (another Aurelex product) and topped it with another design of 2in. foam facing out and 1 inch facing in.
The ceiling was designed by Jeff Cooper (author of 'Building a Recording Studio') who lives and works nearby. I had originally put up those stupid styrofoam metro design deals from Aurelex to go with the walls. after painstakingly putting up a cool looking array design I clapped my hands in the middle of the room and it sounded like geese mating. Jeff did this design on a pice of scrap paper after taking demensions. Cost me a $100 because we got on so well and his office is a mile away. The dude had just redesigned studio B or something at Sony! rollz
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

So the auralex stuff doesn't work? Or just some of it doesn't? What does? What doesn't?
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

And what is that Ceiling? Is it wood? Looks great.
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

Sure, the Auralex does what it claims. I wanted some control without getting to out of contol $$$. The stuff creates a classy look. As for the ceiling design, they are bass traps configured from the dimensions of my space. They allow the sound to enter through the opposite side of what is shown by way of acoustic fabric. Then the thin maple strips create a space for the bass frequencies to be attenuated inside with fiberglass attached to the ceiling. I think thats the mechanism involves. At least the geese have moved on!
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

I'm experementing and I put the L 251 in omni with the traps on reflective and it's pretty huge sonding. Deffinately a much bigger sound then the mic in cardiod. The figure 8 setting sounds bigger then cordiod as well but the omni is biggest. And there isn't more slap either. Just more sound and more low end. It's a more expansive sound that I think I'm gonna love. I can still hear the slap even with the blanket over head though and these traps are as tight around me as possible. There is an opening though so I can get in and out on the right side. maybe I need another trap and close it in totally and just move it when I need to get out?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search