The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone own or used the Acoustic Science Tube traps? Bass Traps
Old 2nd February 2003
Lives for gear

No, just have a freind cement the last one in place since your so damn happy in there.
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Addict

Ah,,, not that happy. :>)
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

Did I mention that these traps ARE FANTASTIC? I'm in heaven over here. The sound I'm getting with my L 251 in Omni is so natural and nice and tight and big it's really truly amazing. I'm hooked.
Old 12th February 2003
Lives for gear

A pic of my experience with Tube Traps... The producer just used 2 of them, one on each side of an earthworks mic...

I never got to hear the diff between the sound with vs without the two tube traps though.

I'm about to buy 2 of them, but of course the Acoustic Science guy tells me I should really get a bunch of them...

Two is better than none right? Or do you really need the whole surround effect to make them worth it?
Old 12th February 2003
Super Moderator

A minimum of three Tube Traps makes more sense to me. Four If you need a wider area of coverage.
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

I have 8 of the studio traps which is their quick sound field and the speaker stand tops and bottoms and I will say that the speaker stands work amazingly well without the other traps around them. I would imagine that 2 would be better than none but I would also imagine that 30 would be better than 20. :>) I'm sure I will have 16 by the end of the year. Get um, you can always get more later. They are great.
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Addict

Hey guys I just bought the barefoot MM27's. They are great but I'm wondering about the acoustic sciences speaker top and bottom stands with them and if they are absorbing too much low end. Also if having the traps around the console at mix position (attack wall) if they are absorbing too much low end of the subs on the MM 27's. Barefot doesn't have any experience with the traps so they can't advise me. Anyone have a clue... Thanks
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Guru

It's probably not possible to have too many bass traps, or that they absorb too much. Why do you suspect that? If your problem is a lack of bass that means you need more bass traps, not fewer.

--Ethan
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Addict

No so far what is happening is I am putting too much bass in the mix as I am thinking the speaker stands by Acousitic Science are sucking too much of it up. I guess its a learning curve of the speakers as well but most people say they didn't have a learning curve of the MM 27s. It's most likely just a matter of time and learning the speakers. I've only had a few days on them. I was wondering though if I would be better off with treament on the walls instead of the attack wall. To let the speakers breath more. Since they are such great speakers and so well engineered and abviously not engineered to go along with the Acoustic Sciences traps. Thomas had never heard of it till I brought it up to him. I'm also thinking it's time to analyze the room and EQ it. Wondering what makes the most sense in that ragard as well. All input and suggestions are welcome.
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianneve View Post
No so far what is happening is I am putting too much bass in the mix as I am thinking the speaker stands by Acousitic Science are sucking too much of it up.
But that's my point. If your room has one or more deep nulls in the bass range due to lack of adequate bass trapping, the result is you add too much bass to your mixes. Bass traps are not reducing the bass you hear - your room is.

Quote:
I'm also thinking it's time to analyze the room and EQ it.
Yes on analyzing your room, but EQ is not the solution. More and better bass traps is the right approach.

After you measure your room, post the results here or in the Bass Traps section for our comments.

--Ethan
Old 27th December 2008
Gear Addict

Very interesting stuff. I will do that thanks.
Old 28th December 2008
Lives for gear

There great!
Easy to move around and with a throw rug, they can make a kitchen sound pretty darn good!
My "live" room is pretty dead, so I don't use them much there.
Maybe around the drumset or gtr cab for kicks.
Old 31st October 2009
Lives for gear

I just spent a week around tube traps in two studios, and they are FANTASTIC. I'll be ordering very soon.
Old 31st October 2009
Way back when I closed up shop, sold all of my studio equipment except one thing, and moved out of state. What was the one thing I didn't sell? My studio traps. I'll never sell those things (I have eight plus two 16" monitor stands). I plan to buy more.

Note: you do need a lot of them to get the "full" benefit and of course they aren't the end-all acoustical solution by any means.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search