The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studer D19 Micad: 8 channel pre/ADC. Any experiences?
Old 11th November 2004
Here for the gear

Studer D19 Micad: 8 channel pre/ADC. Any experiences?

Hi all,

I'm pretty close to purchasing a Studer D19 Micad (8 channel mic pre and AD converter) and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with these units.
They don't have inserts and are limited to 20 bit.
I'm looking to use them in addition to my 2 "golden channels" for drum sessions (and/or to enable me to track drums and bass together).

I currently use a stereo mytek adc with Amek 9098 Dual Mic Amp. Would be clocking the Studer from the Mytek.

I won't have a chance to try it out, so I was wondering if any of you here had any first hand experience.

Reason I am strongly considering this is as alternative to cheaper new 8 channel pre/adc units (such as octopre or asp-008, etc) and as a stepping stone which would allow me to record quality drum tracks until I earn my way to an 8x96 (or similar) with nice outboard pre's. (The unit is costing me just under $1000 USD, shipped).

Also, given the combo of my amek/mytek and this studer unit, what would you suggest in terms of which pre's to use on what:

- Firstly, when just tracking drums.
- Secondly, when tracking drums and bass (keep in mind here that I would be using 1 channel of the AMEK as DI for bass and would probably just reamp a cabinet at mixdown if necessary).

My mics:
Soundelux ifet (1)
Neumann KM 183 [omnis] (2)
Neumann TLM 103 (1)
Shure SM 57 (2)
Shure SM 58 (1)
Rhode NT2 (2) (i cut my teeth on these)

Any suggestions for inexpensive mics to add to this kit for purposes of drum recording would be appreciated too (or should I just get a couple more 57's?).

Thank you all!
Old 12th November 2004
Here for the gear

BUMP
Old 15th November 2004
Here for the gear

And another bump...

Is there really nobody out there who's ever used this box?
Old 5th November 2005
Gear Addict

D19 Experiences anyone ?

Hey slutz,
isn´t there anyone around here with experiences concerning the Studer D19 ? I know that Michael Wagener sold his, so maybe he can give us a hint ? Thanks !

Bill
Old 5th November 2005
Gear Maniac

if its anything like the old 2 channel version with the tube insert , they sounded mushy on the lo end and spitty in the hi mids.
lo mid wasnt so defined either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
Hey slutz,
isn´t there anyone around here with experiences concerning the Studer D19 ? I know that Michael Wagener sold his, so maybe he can give us a hint ? Thanks !

Bill
Old 6th November 2005
Gear Addict

Hmmm...ok, thank you mixalot. The "Studer" tag looks nice though

Bill
Old 6th November 2005
Gear Maniac

i own a few studers , i know the feeling!!
i do like my ua2192 though
Old 6th November 2005
Lives for gear

FWIW,

Al (guest moderator) Schmitt was a big proponent of his d19 (2 channel, I think), and this guy could work with ANY gear, so...

FWIW, I know the "20 bit" AD is a bit off putting in the modern age of higher BR/SR, but I expect the AD could be bypassed and sent to an external unit of your choice?

In any case, best with your decision,
Old 3rd August 2007
Lives for gear

D19 two channel
This is one of the few older pieces of digital gear that has its place with me. I really wish they had a 96 k upgrade. This was and still is a wonderful item, just a little dated on the A to D side, unless you mix at 48k.

Blue Thumb Productions-Audio Production Facilities
Old 4th August 2007
Gear Guru

I only use the 089s pre/eq from the 1969 consoles, love em. Studer is great stuff tho.
Old 4th August 2007
Lives for gear

decent studer piece..as always.you have tons of flexibility blending in tube color and shape with EQ. if you can find these very cheap..go for it.
Old 1st October 2009
Here for the gear

direct outs studer 089

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I only use the 089s pre/eq from the 1969 consoles, love em. Studer is great stuff tho.
Hello, may I ask how you created the shortcut for direct outs. I have two just eating 'dust' My prism sound likes to clean them ;-) sorry about outher tread.

there is a Studer D19 on Ebay(1-10-09)

Could sell cause I quit smoking. no need for ashtree LOL

Last edited by Bowowo; 1st October 2009 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: extra
Old 2nd June 2013
We recently received two D19 mic ad 8 ch AES outputs, just fantastic sonic quality, will keep you posted on the recorded sound, we have the complete Studer D950S, from NPR studio 4B in DC ...the 8 ch's of i&o i would not hesitate to use. No color here just pristine unbelievable sound. Cheers Doyen
Old 2nd June 2013
Here for the gear

Wow...8+ year old thread.
FWIW the unit has given me great service over all this time. I mainly use it as an option for toms/hats/room.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear