The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which royers?122's or 121's right both!
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear
Which royers?122's or 121's right both!

Which royers do you guys recommend? Yeah I know both, I can't do that this year so..
I'd like to use a pair on overheads and then use one when overdubbing guitars cabs so is this the sort of situation where the 122's are best on OH and the 121 is best on a guitar cab?
Do you end up rolling off the top if you use the 122 on a guitar cab? Thanks
daniel
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

never heard the 122, but the 121 is really super nice on guitars. I can only assume that the 122 would be a suitable mic for that application as well.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

They're based on the same design with the 122 having an active output. They're not worlds apart sonically, the 122 reportedly being a tad clearer. If you have very good mic pre's already you can go for the "classic" 121 if not the 122 makes a lot of sense.
Good luck!
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

I got 2 of the 122's. Since they are active, you get about an extra 13 db out of them at the source, so you aren't amplifying the noise you get from tie lines, etc... I went with the 122's because I knew it would give me the option to use mic pre's that might not have enough gain on them for the ribbons.

I HIGHLY recomend a pair. The guys at Royer are great folks as well.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I got 2 of the 122's. Since they are active, you get about an extra 13 db out of them at the source, so you aren't amplifying the noise you get from tie lines, etc... I went with the 122's because I knew it would give me the option to use mic pre's that might not have enough gain on them for the ribbons.

I HIGHLY recomend a pair. The guys at Royer are great folks as well.
e-cue, what do you favor them on? Which pres are you running?
You're going to tape right? thanks
daniel
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

Sorr if this appeared twice

The 121 is great and the 122 is even better; it's a little more open and offers a little more definition, but there's not a thing wrong with the 121. -E
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

the 122 ...its compatibale with more pres
Old 9th January 2003
If you already have high gain variable impedance preamps then you will be ok with the 121's. It's a tough call for what sounds better...low, medium, or high input impedances. If you are using a preamp that is lower end in quality, or something with less available gain (60 db or less) then it's probably a good idea to go with the 122. They are more consistenly reliable across different kinds of preamps, have 15db more available gain, and they sound a little more focused throughout the frequency range. With the 122 it's almost as if you can hear each set of frequencies more distinctly, this is difficult to qualify or quantify. But this is splitting hairs, I'm extremely happy with both microphones since high quality preamps are sitting in the rack, and find uses for both that are sometimes interchangeable and sometimes a very subjective preference decision.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
e-cue, what do you favor them on? Which pres are you running?
You're going to tape right? thanks
daniel
They are my staple OH's. (MP-2 -> tape mostly, sometimes a pair of distressors) They are incredible on Ac Guitars with phase flipped and the back side used with is a little brighter. I also have been digging this on female vocals, but I get nervious with breath pops around my "babbies".
Old 10th January 2003
There is only one

personally, i would pick up the 122's over the 121's... i own the 121. im thinking about a pair of 122's to add to my 121.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
personally, i would pick up the 122's over the 121's... i own the 121. im thinking about a pair of 122's to add to my 121.
I'm thinkin about the same way, I'm going to get a 121 for guitars and at some point I'll pick up a pick a pair of 122's, i just can't afford a pair right now, I'm gonna save up for a SLAM!grggt
daniel
Old 10th January 2003
There is only one

the SLAM is a big chuck to spend on just 2 channels. id spend the same dough on a SPIDER instead but thats just me.

i believe the 122 has the same SPL capabilities as the 121, just higher output. it SHOULD work just fine on guitar.
Old 10th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

i believe the 122 has the same SPL capabilities as the 121, just higher output. it SHOULD work just fine on guitar.
It does work great, but if you are using it for a loud closed back cabinet up close you may find you need to put a pad between the mic and the preamp, similar to a condenser in the same situation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search