The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
valley 440 comp Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th November 2004
Gear Maniac

valley 440 comp

wow. this thing is nuts. sooper fast attack. makes vocals stand up right in your face. you can make the attack of a snare inaudible. i just got it for $100 and don't know much about it. anybody use one of these things before?
Old 9th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Similar to the Valley Dyna-Mite, you can find a manual for the 440 here:
http://www.galaxyaudio.com/products/PDF2/440.pdf
Old 9th November 2004
Lives for gear

It's my main vocal compressor. Very transparent, even at high ratios, the limiter and gate work well. Fletcher has indicated that he wouldn't cross a street for one.
Old 9th November 2004
Gear Maniac

i wonder why? this is a great peice of gear and i paid nothing for it. how come i've never heard of it before?
btw-i think vocals are where it excels too. it is useful anywhere (last night i used it while tracking an unruly acoustic gtr to great effect) but great on vocals
Old 10th November 2004
Gear Addict

I scored an old Valley 610 stereo compressor for a hundred bucks a couple of years ago. Love it! Super fast limiter. I like it on the end of my chain to control any overs going into PT.
Old 10th November 2004
Lives for gear
I have 4 channels of DynaMites.....and find the compressor kind on cold.

But I love the gates. A lot of times I can get a clean kick or snare gate out the the Dyna mites without even side chaining. The same track often gives the DS201 fits even with its key filters.
Old 10th November 2004
Gear Nut

Used it as my main vocal compressor on a Peter Cetera record... I LOVE THAT BOX. Got mine for $250.

I have also used it on Duane Eddy's guitar... he HATEs compression on his guitar but loved this one.

A must have box that I don't tell people about.

So much for that.

Ben
Old 10th November 2004
Gear Maniac

yeah. i've noticed that it kicks butt on elec gtr, too. i still reach for the 1176 for gtrs even if just for the color it adds.
What happened to Valley Audio? Does anybody know their story? Why is their gear so dang good but cheap? Is this comp based on any older designs out there or is it an original design?
Old 10th November 2004
Lives for gear

Valley is now part of Galaxy, the people that make the tiny hot spot monitors. I think they were less well known in the recordin world, because they were more broadcast oriented. There are positions on the 440 that are specific for certain broadcast applications. Their Gain Brains, Dyna Mites and kepex gates used to be staples though.
Old 10th November 2004
Lives for gear

Valley also made one of the first digital limiters 10 years ago...the 930
Old 11th November 2004
Lives for gear
Valley was originally Allison Research...who ALSO made one of the first console automation systems.

If i recall correctly, and its entirely possible i don't, i wrote data directly onto the last to tracks of the master.

I have a single Gain Brain sitting in the back.....now I'm gonna have to get a power supply and crank it up.
Old 11th November 2004
Lives for gear

Can't talk about Valley People without mentioning the name Paul Buff... or Frank Zappa. David
Old 2nd March 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
wow. this thing is nuts. sooper fast attack. makes vocals stand up right in your face. you can make the attack of a snare inaudible. i just got it for $100 and don't know much about it. anybody use one of these things before?

Anybody know where i can purchase a Valley 400-401-445 Mic Comp/Limiter

[email protected]
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Valley Dynamite is gnarley on kit buss in side chain. Explosive comes to mind. Picked mine up for AUS$150.00. That's about US$100.00.

I read somewhere that the IP was sold and someone was developing Valley again from a Chinese manufacturer. Not sure where that is all at though.
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
Valley Dynamite is gnarley on kit buss in side chain. Explosive comes to mind. Picked mine up for AUS$150.00. That's about US$100.00.

I read somewhere that the IP was sold and someone was developing Valley again from a Chinese manufacturer. Not sure where that is all at though.
They will be built with through hole components as were the originals and they are making the VCA in the USA out of the old Nashville base, hand matched transistors, the units may well be assembled in China, but they will be built tot he orginal specs and they have the one of the original CTO's, Doc Morgan at the helm.

The new modular rack is designed and the proto built, it has some crazy new features which I'm not sure I can talk about... as far as I am aware there will the GB II, KPII and MaxiQ in the modular format and a separate 19" Dynamite.

RE timings, I have no idea...

Cheers

Matt
Old 2nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matta View Post
They will be built with through hole components as were the originals and they are making the VCA in the USA out of the old Nashville base, hand matched transistors, the units may well be assembled in China, but they will be built tot he orginal specs and they have the one of the original CTO's, Doc Morgan at the helm.

The new modular rack is designed and the proto built, it has some crazy new features which I'm not sure I can talk about... as far as I am aware there will the GB II, KPII and MaxiQ in the modular format and a separate 19" Dynamite.

RE timings, I have no idea...

Cheers

Matt
Timing has been the big issue! Setting up to build VCA's is a major hurdle and Doc has been busy. We hope this year is the year to see Valley released again....
Old 2nd March 2009
Gear Addict

Valley People

I have a PR10 rack with a couple of Gain Brain IIs in it and they seem fairly noisy to me. Can anyone tell me if this is a known problem with them or do I have some wiring/patch problem that I need to attend to. I find it hard to believe that I have 2 bad GBII's but I guess that could be a possibility as well.
Old 3rd March 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
Valley was originally Allison Research...who ALSO made one of the first console automation systems.

If i recall correctly, and its entirely possible i don't, i wrote data directly onto the last to tracks of the master.

I have a single Gain Brain sitting in the back.....now I'm gonna have to get a power supply and crank it up.
We had the Allison automation on a Harrison 32 series desk in the B room of the studio I started at as an assistant. It did use one track of the multitrack to write the code to, and then to update the automation you had to bounce to another track, so if you were doing more than one pass it would take 2 tracks. The thing was if you did a lot of passes bouncing back and forth, all the moves by the end of the mix would be the tiniest bit late, so the senior engineers used to anticipate their moves slightly if they knew they were doing a lot of passes.

The Gain Brain and gain Brain II are slightly different in that the original was fet and the II was Class A VCA. I'm pretty sure the 400 series was VCA too. The Valley stuff was good I though, but it was only in the B room which was the smallest cheaper room. The other rooms had SSL's so I don't suspect they needed them in there anyway. I loved watching the red light go up and down on the Kepex's.
Old 8th March 2009
Here for the gear

440 Manual

Hello Everybody

Does anyone still have a copy of the 440 manual? It seems that Galaxy has dropped them from their page. I found an old 440 that needs some work. If anyone could point me towards a manual and/or a schematic, I would be most grateful. Thanks to all for reading this.

Archie
Old 9th April 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
Old thread but it came up in my search. I just picked up two Valley 440s from an engineer friend for $100 bucks each. They were from a radio studio I worked in 12 years ago and still had number stickers I put on them. I loved them for vocals of all kinds, announcing, singing etc.

One of them rattled when it was moved so we cracked it open. If you have any of these, take off the top and check the plastic screws that hold the voltage regulators to their heat sinks. We found that the screws had disintegrated from the heat and the regulators were getting very hot (the nut was causing the rattle.) It's a power supply failure waiting to happen, but is easily avoided if you replace those little plastic screws. You'll have to take the bottom off too to replace them. Well worth the 15 minutes it takes.

Would love to have a manual if anybody knows where to get one. Not on Galaxy audio any longer.
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Head

I picked up a 440 from a retired radio engineer recently, complete with manual...I can PDF a copy if anyone still needs it.....
Old 7th January 2010
Gear Nut

I would LOVE a pdf copy. Been trying to find one for awhile. Mine is on the fritz and the tech needs it.

Gonna send you a PM.
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Really loving working with my Valley 440. It's pretty versatile and can really put vocals or electric guitars "in your face." I only have one of them so I can't try it, but I wonder how these things would go across a stereo buss? Not so much the master buss, but on instrument or vocal groups.
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

They‘re my 1st choice for treating synthetic drums and loops.
With the expander, autogain and clipper/limiter they offer a ton of options.
Together with a Kush Electra, usually in front, they‘re all over the beats on this record, which started as an assortment of loops and one-shots in Ableton Live.
Old 26th February 2018
Gear Nut

manual together with schematic can be found with wayback machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050305...s/PDF2/440.pdf

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search