The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Thoughts on the UA LA-610
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Thoughts on the UA LA-610

I was wondering if anyone here is a fan of Universal Audio gear.
Especially what are your thoughts about the 610 tube mic pre and the LA 2A comp. ( outboard real versions ) Not that pluggin crap.
Old 28th October 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Thoughts on the UA LA-610

Quote:
Yeah, lots of people are.
Quote:
Especially what are your thoughts about the 610 tube mic pre and the LA 2A comp. ( outboard real versions ) Not that pluggin crap.
Has it even shipped yet?
Old 28th October 2004
Gear Maniac

I have it in my rack as we speak!
Old 29th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by conguero
some people(like fletcher) hate the u/a 610 pres. i have heard some quite amazing guitar tracks recorded with a 2-610.
la-2a's rock!
Old 29th October 2004
Here for the gear

UA 2-610 & LA2A

I own both of these and love them to bits.
Old 29th October 2004
Lives for gear

I own both (2610 and LA2A) and I've recently had a chance to demo the LA610. The combination was a bit fuller sounding than the LA610, which had a more pronounced midrange. That being said, the LA610 should be selling for much less than either the 2610 or LA2A individually!

If you're in the market for a channel strip, it's certainly worth checking out.
Old 29th October 2004
Lives for gear

Had a UA 6176, ƒƒ430mk11, Liquid and LTD-1 on appro. a while back...Compared to the others the UA felt a bit cheap...couldn't get it to sound good...nobody on the session liked it either...

Based in UK so don't know the history of Fletcher's gripe with UA...anyone?
Old 29th October 2004
Gear Maniac

The verdict is in, and after two sessions first with soprano sax second male vocal. I totally love the thing! I have a telefunken v672 and a trident S20.
The LA-610 blows both to bits. Pure silk! the musicians also are in love with it and they argue about who gets to track through it and it has only been three days since I installed it. I prefer it to the 737, and the isa 220( which I have worked with). Don't know about other channel strips but, this is top notch no doubt!
Old 30th October 2004
Gear Maniac

i own the 2-610 and i really love it. It has a very special sound which people love or hate...

It´s warm, it´s big and it can be dirty if you push it hard... or sweet if you treat it like a lady (the gain ;-)
Old 30th October 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan Folkson
I own both (2610 and LA2A) and I've recently had a chance to demo the LA610. The combination was a bit fuller sounding than the LA610, which had a more pronounced midrange. That being said, the LA610 should be selling for much less than either the 2610 or LA2A individually!

If you're in the market for a channel strip, it's certainly worth checking out.
How would you rate the compressor on it's own,does it stack up against an LA2A or other hogh end comps?
Old 30th October 2004
Gear Addict

Just a side note...

Unlike the 6176, you can not use the pre and comp seperatly. There is only one input and output for the unit. You can however bypass the comp if desired.

Other than that this thing looks pretty tasty.
Old 31st October 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by conguero
The 2-610 did nothing at all for me, sonically- I much prefer my V76; A lot more balls and headroom. Perhaps the original 610 pre in UA's console sounded better, but I haven't had the opportunity to compare. From what I gather, the reissue 1176 and LA-2A are quite good however.
Old 13th November 2004
Gear Addict

Well I just got to try one out. Apparently I was wrong in my previous post, it does in fact have a line input so you can use this thing for its eq and compressor. I need more time with it to decide if I like it or not, but so far I'm diging it. It definatly has that vintage tube pre sound. The compressor is pretty nice too. Not quite an LA2A but has a similar vibe. For the price it is a good deal.
Old 13th November 2004
Gear Addict

By the way what mics have you guys been using it with?
Old 13th November 2004
Gear Maniac

I just finished tracking female vox on 5 tracks and I used an Akg u-bls. Let me tell you, everyone was astonished! I can tell you with all sincerity that I no longer have need for My 737. This thing just blew all of my pres out of the water, and I mean all: Telefunken v672, trident s20, avalon 737,(rented out at the moment, might get sold) and a focusrite penta. I like the eq, the comp is very good, and the tube pre is silky awsome.
The UA LA-610 and my Big Ben hav been my best purchases along with my 414.
Old 14th November 2004
Gear Addict

That's great to hear you are enjoying it so much conguero. The more I use it the more I like it. I have some vocal tracks to record tommorow. Think I will plug in the U87 and see what happens.
Old 30th November 2004
Lives for gear

Hiwatt...I also have an U87 as main vocal mic.
Would love to know the results.

I'm considering buy one LA-160.
Also ordering an API 3124+ and a FF Isa 428.
So I really want a coloured tube unit with comp to complet the set.

By the Way, can you use the compressor section and eq section separated from the pre just like the 6176?
Thx
Old 1st December 2004
Gear Addict

It's a killer combo for the right voice. Did a christmas album for a friend of mine. She is a vocal coach and I recorded 26 of her students singing christmas carols. It was fun and I got to try out a lot of different gear. For the most part everything sounded good through the la/87 combo, but on the right voice it definatly had the wow factor going on. Nice and airy with just the right hint of tube fatness and warmth. I sugest you try one out to see if you like the sound, it's kind of a hit or miss thang. You either love it or you don't.

The LA-610 is a mono channel strip with both a line in and a mic input. Using it with the line input you can use the eq and comp on a variety of sources. Hope that helped, good luck with things.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search