The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trident, Quad Eight, TelOfunken, Neve, etc.
Old 3rd January 2003
Trident, Quad Eight, TelOfunken, Neve, etc.

I want to start buying some vintage modules and I just let a Quad Eight DI/EQ slip through my fingers on ebay because I don't know enough about it.

My problem is that I have never heard of this module (EQ333C) and even if I had heard of it, I wouldn't know what to do with it once I got it.

Who do you guys use to rack/restore your vintage modules?

What are some of your favorite modules?

Is there a way to have Neve's, Q8's, API's, and Tel"O"funken's racked side by side or do I need a seperate rack and power supply for each manufacturer/model?

Which ones should I avoid? I wouldn't buy a Trident right now simply because I'm confused as to what's good and what's crap. So I was hoping to get a wishlist of vintage modules going. Thanks all.
Old 3rd January 2003
1 nation,
If it was the Q8 eq I'm thinking of.....it wasn't one of the killer modules IMHO.
Hang in there because there seems to be a lot of Quad Eight stuff turning up on Ebay these days.
With regards to outboard, of course everything is subjective and a matter of taste.
The practicalities of racking are:
You could rack modules from different manufacturers. That would make most sense where these modules use the same power supplies.
Quad Eight use +/- 28v, most other modules require 24v.
However, if someday you need to sell modules on, it is easier to find a buyer looking for a particular module than a combo of modules.
My opinion is it's best to keep them separate - unless they compliment each other like Neve micpre's and separate eq's or likewise Api. I wouldn't team an Api micpre with a Neve eq for example, it just makes reselling that bit harder.
I would personally avoid later models by most manufacturers (except Api) as by the 80's (certainly late 80's) quality had started to slide. That's only my opinion and there are always exceptions.
Have a look around the dealers websites at the modules they are selling. There's usually a good description and plenty of photo's. You can usually tell from the prices which modules are the highest regarded.
Marquette Audio Labs is a place that immediately springs to mind as far as renovating and racking modules is concerned. If you could find anybody with a smaller rep you would probably save money.
Old 3rd January 2003
Thanks for the reply Chrisso, very informative.

What are some of the killer Q8 modules?

While we're at it what are some of your favorite models in general?

What should I expect to pay to have something like this racked? Thanks for the info.
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Nut

I am wondering about the EQ modules I have.. they are quad eight EQ 444's...they are four band, cream colored, gold and black knobs...they also have high and low pass filters...they are discrete...

I'm pretty sure that EQ 333 does not have chips...heard em and they are cool...saw it there on ebay for $250, however the power supply and transformer you need to have with these are key...you would have to go through some trouble and a bit of dough to get that happening...

if anyone knows more about the 444's please let me know...I love them...don't know if they are considered the killer ones, but they sound up there with the best neves to my ears... with a little of whats cool about the api high end and then something else altogether...they have the magic in my opinion...also have detented gain pots which the neves don't, swichable Q, high and low shelving switches, and they go up to 18k...
Old 3rd January 2003
Well it's all a matter of taste isn't it.
The QE modules in question were on Ebay last night and with a couple of hours to go had not received any bids - despite QE being quite hot on ebay recently. They can't be found now, not even in completed items for some reason. If you could locate them you could make the seller an offer.
He was parting out a board.
For further help you could try:
www.quadeight.net
Look at:
http://nanaimo.ark.com/~pat/
for his personal choice of happening modules.
Here's a past thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ght=Quad+Eight

As far as a list of different models of outboard is concerned, you will get a different top 5 from every member of Gearslutz I suspect.
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Head

I’ve picked up the following gear:

- Pair of W695 Telefunken EQ’s
- Pair of Telefunken ELA E150 EQ’s
- Telefunken (Siemen) v72 Mic Pre
- Pair of Telefunken V376 Mic Pre

The trick I’ve learnt is ALWAYS buy with CONNECTORS & WIRE-OUT diagrams (as this can be very expensive or almost impossible to locate later yourself) … mostly from German Ebay. Learn to make the cable assembly yourself … or second a tech friend.

Good Luck.
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 4th January 2003
One with big hooves

There's a lot more to it then just buying the modules and putting them in a box. It ain't that easy. First, you need to get a solid chassis for the modules that ain't gonna freak 'em out with grounding issues. Then, you need the audio pin-outs (usually not that hard to find if you know where to look & who to call), and the power supply requirements and pinouts. Then you need to wire the power supply and makes sure the whole thing is stable. Like, not oscillating, humming, buzzing, cutting out or making other gear sound like a beehive. That's not too hard if your DIY chops are decent but if they aren't you'll be in over your head and wondering why you bought this **** in the first place.

Then you get to deal with the audio side of it. Does it sound OK? Do your modules need input and output gain controls? Where can you tap them to add them? If it's just an EQ from a console it probably ain't that easy, if it's a whole channel it's pretty simple. Do the modules sound decent? Do they work? Maybe they need caps, maybe the tranny got beat up and it's ringing and needs to be replaced. Maybe the whole thing distorts so then where do you look? The I/O connetions? An IC or transistor? Maybe you lost a resistor or maybe it's the power supply.

This isn't ment to discourage you, but the **** ain't easy to do. There's a reason the modules are cheap and guys like Arverill and Marquette get a good buck to rack 'em up and sell 'em for a lot more.
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Head

I say do it yourself ... mine sound great! Afterall, we are gearslutz ain't we. heh

Forestville Sydney Australia
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 5th January 2003
Thanks for the info everyone.

Chrisjin, thanks for the tip about the transformer and power supply. I pretty much figured you would need power but I thought that the transformer might be included in some of these modules. Admittedly I'm grippless when it comes to getting a project like this done which is why I wouldn't mind sending it off to Brent Averill, but so far he hasn't emailed me back. Probably pretty busy.

Chrisso, thanks for the links, VERY informative. That's exactly what I needed. A source of info so that I can start familiarizing myself with the different modules and opinions. I feel like you were a little hesitant to tell me your personal faves because, as you put it;

"As far as a list of different models of outboard is concerned, you will get a different top 5 from every member of Gearslutz I suspect."

But that pretty much goes without saying... There's no acounting for tastes right? However I feel it would be very benificial to hear which modules people like and why they like them. Understand that I won't take anything as gospel, but I will be looking for patterns of good judgement. I learned an $1800 lesson about trusting critics when I bought a 'TC Gold Channel' last year. That was not my cup of tea. (Got about $800 for it on Ebay) Now I A/B every single peice of gear before buying... Whenever possible. Unfortunately this is a case where it's not possible, but I'm willing to take a risk on something like Q8's simply because I know that if I can't find a use for them after racking them I'm not going to loose a lot of money.

Wayne G, nice list. I saw a couple of the W695's the other day. How do you like em? What do you use em on? What do you feel is the best purchase on your list? Are there any that you're not crazy about?

Thanks for the imput Jay, I really have no intention of doing this kind of work myself... I've got too many projects on my hands to start playing around with wiring diagrams... Damnit Jay, I'm a producer not an electrician!!! (No disrespect to those do-it-yourselfers who have the time/talent/patience to hook it up)

Anyone else got some links/ faves?
Old 5th January 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by 1nation
Now I A/B every single peice of gear before buying... Whenever possible. Unfortunately this is a case where it's not possible, but I'm willing to take a risk on something like Q8's simply because I know that if I can't find a use for them after racking them I'm not going to loose a lot of money.

Thanks for the imput Jay, I really have no intention of doing this kind of work myself... I've got too many projects on my hands to start playing around with wiring diagrams... Damnit Jay, I'm a producer not an electrician!!!
Well, the sound of a racked module is largely dependant on the power supply. Get that right and you'll be in good shape, **** it up and even a 1064 won't sound as good as a Mackie EQ. IMHO racking modules is really something for the DIY people (of which I have half a clue) and people with cash to burn. I know some people who have had modules racked and then re-racked a few months later 'cause the first guy ****ed up.
Old 5th January 2003
I agree, professional racking is expensive.
It's hard to swallow $1,000 or more for racking when you just paid $3-400 for a pair of modules.
1nation, you might consider looking for outboard ready to go.
You can find a used Api lunchbox and there are always nice looking Api modules available on ebay.
You wouldn't go far wrong if you bought a pair of Tony Arnold's EQ1 (Helios clones), available from www.proaudioeurope.com (Paris office).
The same office has discrete Audix modules.
Old 5th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 1nation
Thanks for the reply Chrisso, very informative.

What are some of the killer Q8 modules?

I have some MM312 mic pre/EQ modules. From what I understand it is unusual to have a mic pre on these as most were for film consoles. These were from a studio (I don't know which one) in London. The mic pres sound fantastic. I have modified a pair of the EQ's for mastering by changing the 2dB steps in the EQ for smaller steps. I would describe them as clean with great color. They sound great.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear