The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix format poll
View Poll Results: Your current preferred mixing format...
Large format analog console
31 Votes - 51.67%
Large format digital console (MT, MTP, Oxford, Capricorn, etc.)
0 Votes - 0%
Small format digital console (new Sony and Yamaha boards, etc.)
9 Votes - 15.00%
DAW + dedicated control surface (d8b, PC, etc.)
17 Votes - 28.33%
DAW + summing on an analog mixette i.e. Dangerous, Manley
3 Votes - 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st January 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

Mix format poll

Rupert Neve: "What has been established is that if you mix in the analog domain the integrity of your mixed signals is far more accurate than trying to mix in the digital domain." (Excerpt from Fletcher's PSW chat transcript.)

We know RN's preference; but, donning your freelance engineer/producer's hat, what is yours nowadays?
Old 1st January 2003
Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure about Rupert's assertion, but I will continue to use my 48 input D&R Cinemix for a couple of different reasons. First, I prefer analog ouboard gear, especially compressors and equalizers, to their digital versions. Second, the Cinemix is paid for...
Old 1st January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

How many of you are answering based on what you actually use versus what you prefer?

If you mix inside your computer but you would prefer mixing on a large format analog board, isn't something wrong with that picture?

If you would rather mix on a big console, why don't you ? I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but more is left unanswered by this poll than is revealed.

No analog vs. digital debates allowed.
Old 1st January 2003
I think a true freelancer(me included) is probably working on all formats(even though the digital console work thing is coming in less and less unless you are doing post) .

The budget(like anything these days) is the deciding factor.kthtyrt

Still an excellent analog console(and I mean excellent not just any console) would be first choice.
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

whoops, you said preference.. well I guess I perfer mixing on a small format dig desk to just dreaming about using a large analog desk...
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

I can tell a big difference between summing in PTle or going out into my trident. Even though I'm going thru shitty converters, the difference (to me at least) is night and day. Especially with how mono tracks panned in the midde (kick, snare, bass guitar, lead vox) sit in the mix. Then add some nice outboard compressors and eq's and it blows my PT mixes away.

That being said I still mix over half my stuff entirely in the box, due to recallability and budget concerns. DAW's are great for cheap clients who cant lock out large amounts of time to record.
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

Shoulda read the question better...prefer tha large no holds barred analog (the few times I've actually gotten to use them)...
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Guru

Consoles just make more sense to my feeble mind. heh
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

I don't know whether my little D&R Orion is going under the large format analog console brand, but I prefer mixing on it over the mix in the box thing. (I don't know of any digital plug ins that I like - but I didn't hear the Sony or GML stuff).

Jo
Old 3rd January 2003
Ted
Gear Maniac

9098i, Radar and 2" 16, to 1" ATR is where I'm heading. I like being able to shut my eyes and turn knobs. I have PTHD/Pro Control also but I can't do what I can do on a large analog desk. Maybe it's my fault. I just grew up on a JH636/24 and got some really big sounds/blends/depth/width out of that combo. Maybe soon I will be able to hear my console, actually 2/10 is when we're firing it up.

Thanks,
Ted.
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax

If you mix inside your computer but you would prefer mixing on a large format analog board, isn't something wrong with that picture?

I have a Trident 24 board and PTHD, and on any given day it's hard to say which sounds better (or worse) for mixing. HD can lack cream and the Trident can bog down. All things considered I'd rather be working on a large Neve, but I own the other stuff and often that's all the budget will allow. I just try to maximize the advantages of whatever system I'm working on.
-R
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

since i own a medium format analog mixer and ALL my experience has been on this and large format analog, i had to go with that....not to say i woulnt use someones oxford or the like if they'd let me....
Old 4th January 2003
Here for the gear

The music & the budget are more important than my ideal, because I'd rather work than not.
But my favourite record (of the ones that I did & have already been released) from last year was 2" & a Neve 8014.
And it came out on vinyl.
And it took less than ten days, all told.
Old 7th January 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

Interesting stuff, everyone.

41 votes so far...are there only 41 mix guys here on Gearslutz?

:eek:
Old 12th January 2003
Han
Lives for gear

BUMP c'mon guys. I'm investigating right now for an article about the subject. I need more info.

How many of you prefer the big consoles and why? Tell me why you prefer what.

Thank you!
Old 12th January 2003
Here for the gear

My experience has been that the 'vibe' of mixing on a 9000j in a nice room is cool but nine times out of ten it is the ability to tweak PT/PC mixes that for me results in better work.

I don't currently own a large format desk but have done in the past.

Most plugs may not be quite as good as hardware but the ability to use lots of them 'a little' rather than a few outboard units 'a lot' more than makes up for the differences.

Also, clients do love the big console thing but they most definitly prefer being able to instantly a mix...
Old 12th January 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroSphere
Also, clients do love the big console thing but they most definitly prefer being able to instantly a mix...
They could get both in a large-format dig console room, but for some reason they aren't popular, neither on this poll nor commercially in selling studio time. Why, do you suppose?

Still, if I had to mix in dig full-time, I'd rather do it on an MTP than a ProControl.
Old 13th January 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
They could get both in a large-format dig console room, but for some reason they aren't popular, neither on this poll nor commercially in selling studio time. Why, do you suppose?

Still, if I had to mix in dig full-time, I'd rather do it on an MTP than a ProControl.
The problem as I see it is the lack of any perceived difference between a good DAW and a high end dig room. Also the ease of moving sessions between say 001 home setups and HD mix facilities is more like the 2" tape scenario.

2" was a great leveler, making it easy to move sessions from room to room or countries (most if the time ).

Also, Sony making the Oxford EQs etc available as plugs undermines the exclusivity of the high end board.

If the rumours about Dodgydesigns new large format PC are true we will probably all end up using that as the client population will be brainwashed into believing it is essential.

BTW I would like an Oxford!

Finally. I fing ProControl OK now that I have upgraded to the smooth pot version with the better analogue section.

Peter
Old 13th January 2003
"I have upgraded to the smooth pot version with the better analogue section." I did that and liked it but I feel I may be happier with a custom monitor section for mixdown... I may look at a Benchmark DA 1 as a solution..
Old 13th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jon

I've worked on a couple of the large format digital consoles(Capricorn,SSL,Oxford,Soundtracs), the biggest drawback is the learning curve. Each console works differently. It takes about a day to get up to speed(and that's with a competent assistant). And what happens when something breaks down? What do you do? At least on an analog board you pull it out a module and send it to get fixed. On a digital console, once one channel goes down the whole board needs to be shut down for repair.

A scary thought!!!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear