The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Mini Me/ Mini DAC combo
Old 19th October 2004
Gear Addict

Apogee Mini Me/ Mini DAC combo

I want to set up a portable rig allowing me to record acoustic music in locations away from base. Looking for high quality, lightweight 2-channel mic pre/AD/DA to go with my PC laptop through FW.

Has anyony worked with the Apogee Mini Me/Mini DAC? (Firewire connectivity is scheduled for end of this year).

How do the Apogee Mini converters compare to the recent Cranesong/Benchmark/Lavry Blue level of converters? Are the converters in the Apogee Minis of a lesser quality soundwise or is it more a question of different flavors appealing to different tastes?

Has any experienced Apogee Mini user, with access to state-of-the-art converters, been able to do comparisons?

Are there other high quality mic pre/AD/DA alternatives for a lightweight PC laptop/firewire setup?

Help on this would be much appreciated!

Jørn Bonne.
Old 19th October 2004
Lives for gear

Ruphus and Ivo Sedlacek say that miniDAC is step down from Lavry Blue... use search.

Funny is miniDAC seems to be small at the photos, but it is very very deep. One would expect around 10 cm, but it is much more.

Maybe now there is mytek deal mixing the cards, $495 for Stereo DA96 if you buy AD96 or other converter. But well, you'll miss the preamp...
Old 19th October 2004
Lives for gear

Go for it - they both rock for location! They sound amazing, run off batteries, and are very lightweight.

Do yourself a favor and get a pair of HN-7506HD Headphones. You will thank me later!

Old 20th October 2004
Lives for gear

It is a a good combo. I would say that the Mini DAC is higher quality than the Mini Me, but it's portable and great as a DI box too.
Best option outside of lugging a lot more stuff around.
Old 20th October 2004
Gear Addict

SnakeCained

I'm curious as to why you feel the Mini DAC is of a better quality than the Mini Me?

Would you say the preamps or the converters are the weaker points in the Mini Me?

Thanks!

Jørn Bonne.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search