The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New LA Studio, what do you think
Old 7th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman

But to answer your question, Dave, I'd look for a used C7 that hasn't had its hammer lacquered.

-R
In the long term, I think that you're exactly right. In the short term, I dunno yet.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

We bought a new DC7 Pro. It hasn't arrived from CA yet, probably middle of this month. We looked at Steinway B's - A new one lists for $60k. I like the way they sound, but 60k is too much money for a 7 foot (actually 6' 9") piano. I got the Yamaha (7' 6") because I wanted the Disklavier system, and because the Yamaha has great action.

Probably in a minority here, but for recording, I prefer the tone of a 7 foot piano to a 9'. I like the warmth imparted by the lower string tension.

As for how bright or dark, etc. it is, it's all in the way you have it voiced and tuned. Well, with a fine grand piano, anyway.
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Randy, if I may ask, how much did you get the DC7 for?
Old 8th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
jon, do you have a piano that belongs to the studio, or do you have to hire one in? Though a lot of studios here (though not all)will charge for a tuning, I haven't hard of any in Nashville that charge for the piano itself.
Our piano is in-house. I have a rate that does not include the piano, as otherwise everyone who doesn't need a piano will ask for a discount.

In practice, I quote based on the project's specific needs. If someone needs the C7 for a month, it won't be $250/day extra; it will be included in the specific quote for their project.

A tuning costs $80-100 over here.
Old 8th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Our piano is in-house. I have a rate that does not include the piano, as otherwise everyone who doesn't need a piano will ask for a discount.

In practice, I quote based on the project's specific needs. If someone needs the C7 for a month, it won't be $250/day extra; it will be included in the specific quote for their project.

A tuning costs $80-100 over here.
Wow - has anyone else done this? Or even work in a room that charged extra for the piano? I'm glad it works for you, Jon, but I can't think of any studio in Nashville that could get away with that. Charging for the tuning, sure, but not for the use of the piano. Here, that's simply considered to be part of the room.
Old 8th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

In contrary to what probably happens in Nashville, the piano isn't used all that often for recording...a couple days per project, max, if there is any piano needed at all...so it's not really a big deal.

I know that several of the bigger studios here have the piano listed as extra charges as well.

Obviously, there is no charge for playing the piano if it isn't being recorded...we also have a Kawai upright in the lounge...so there are two pianos to satisfy the artists' composing and time-passing needs while the engineer mixes in the CR.

Old 9th January 2003
jho
Lives for gear

All these negative responses...come on get real, those rooms look pretty sweet. You only wish you had that money to burn! And that site loaded fast as hell for me, although I have DSL and a smoking iMac for surfin (hey, this new Apple "safari" browser is quick!!)

I do agree with Jules, cut that lamo loopy song!

Of course, I'd burn it on an off-shore fishing boat, but that's me...

jho
Old 9th January 2003
One with big hooves

Jon, what if someone wants to use the piano on their record but not have it tuned for whatever reason? Is the rental fee just to cover the tuning and a few extra bucks?

Personally I've never really understood the concept of studios that have equipment in house at all times but charge a rental fee for it. I've been known to charge for damaged drum heads and stuff but there's never a fee to use the kit or any of the amps that are around.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear