The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Channel Strips? Channel Strips
Old 17th October 2004
Best Channel Strips?

With more and more companies coming out with channel strips I'd like to hear more comments about Chandler, Aurora, Helios and anybody else.

I believe the Avalon 737 and the Focusrite 430 ISA and the Millenium ST-1 are pretty well known and used. I'd like to hear about some other gear.
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Hi, Jamz.
I think there's a significant difference between products like
Aurora Pre+ Eq and Pendulum Quartet/Millenia STT1.

Do you want a comprehensive dynamic section included?
Variable imp.? Trannies, tubes?
You look at pretty many rivals....

Neve'sque, Api'esque, I could name all archtypes. Multiply them with all the clones, then multiply with people's many observations and opinions. Now you got a biggie number

Personally, I understand your interest in Helios, as it was described as the "musicians' prefered console".

ruudman
Old 18th October 2004
Ruudman
I never said there wasn't a significant difference in these pieces.
I own Avalons, API's, Cranesong and Focusrite. Also have used Pendulum and Fearn.
Merely stating that I am familiar and have heard much about channel strips such as the 737, ST-1 and 430 ISA and would welcome comments...opinions...experiences with other channel strips I'm less familiar with like Chandler, Aurora and Helios. These pieces are not as available for a hands on test as the aformentioned.
Old 18th October 2004
If you own all those pre's already, all your missing out on is more flavor, nothing better, just different flavor. With the exception of Manely (or Pendlum) that your missing, you seem to be all set. But then we can never have enough gear, can we?
Old 18th October 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Revelation
If you own all those pre's already, all your missing out on is more flavor, nothing better, just different flavor. With the exception of Manely (or Pendlum) that your missing, you seem to be all set. But then we can never have enough gear, can we?
LOL! Different flavors...correct. The beauty of channel strips...not just pres. Having commited to the DAW way of life I do prefer the option of choosing pairs of different flavors when needed or when in the budget. Love the idea of not being tied to 72 channels of the same thing. Anyway, I've never needed 72 mic pres at once.

Therefore, before purchasing I enjoy checking out the new (old) gear. I'm always interested when a piece brings something new to the table. Otherwise my money is spent chasing plug ins.
Chandler, Helios, Aurora look interesting. Any experience with these flavors?
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Good and different flavour..........UA 6176 or the up and coming UA LA610 looks good (very well priced as well).
A really great pre/EQ .....Chandler LTD-2......I know there's no comp but you wouldn't know....this piece of outboard gear is amazing, I wish I had 10 of them.

Nick
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Hello Jamz,

I have the Focusrite isa 430, The Trident, the Pendulum Quartet 1 and the Quartet 2 Mercenary Edition.

The ISA 430 is nice for vocals with most mics(because I got a great deal on it). The Trident is very "Clean" Sounding. Not a rock n roll box, but great for R&B Vocals, Strings and AC guitar. The Pendulum Audio stuff is the best. I can't praise them enough. The Quartet 1 has the most amazing opto compresser. It is the fastest Opto I have ever heard. The Quartet 2 is for those who want the biggest..... sound. It has selectable trannys for the micpre, passive-aggressive EQ switch, and the compression sounds like my Fairchild 670! This box deserves an award. I couldn't be happier. I would check the Pendulum stuff side by side anything else and you will hear what I mean. I could go on for days. (I don't work for them or sell their stuff, but you would think I did!) I put a link to their website below. CHECK IT OUT. Best Of Luck!-KS

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/
Old 18th October 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by 84K
The ISA 430 is nice for vocals with most mics(because I got a great deal on it).
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 84K
Hello Jamz,

I have the Focusrite isa 430, The Trident, the Pendulum Quartet 1 and the Quartet 2 Mercenary Edition.

The ISA 430 is nice for vocals with most mics(because I got a great deal on it). The Trident is very "Clean" Sounding. Not a rock n roll box, but great for R&B Vocals, Strings and AC guitar. The Pendulum Audio stuff is the best. I can't praise them enough. The Quartet 1 has the most amazing opto compresser. It is the fastest Opto I have ever heard. The Quartet 2 is for those who want the biggest..... sound. It has selectable trannys for the micpre, passive-aggressive EQ switch, and the compression sounds like my Fairchild 670! This box deserves an award. I couldn't be happier. I would check the Pendulum stuff side by side anything else and you will hear what I mean. I could go on for days. (I don't work for them or sell their stuff, but you would think I did!) I put a link to their website below. CHECK IT OUT. Best Of Luck!-KS

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/
Hey KS which Trident do you have?
I have the Trident MTA Series 80B......not many people have the Trident outboard.

Nick
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Aearth
Hey KS which Trident do you have?
I have the Trident MTA Series 80B......not many people have the Trident outboard.

Nick
I have the 80 series channel strip. It is cool. Cheers!

Earlier, someone pointed out something I wrote about the ISA that was unclear..... Sorry, I was tired when I wrote it.....

The ISA 430 sounds good on vocals regardless of mic and style. It is a good vocal utility box. It is not the best box out there but it gets the job done and it has a "Flavour." I got it new for $1300 in one of those sweet deals that pop up every now and then. I would not recommend it to someone with no budget, but if you can find a deal on one.... they are out there and it is a good box. Don't bother asking me, I just found a deal on the one I got and it was a year ago. I know of someone else who, before me, got a similar deal. Best Of Luck!-KS
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Buzz has a channelstrip that might be worth while looking into. The ARC 1.1 recording channel. I personally haven't tried that one but from knowing the SOC 1.1 compressor and the MA 2.2 pre I'm pretty confident that it should be a contendor. The compressor and mic pre's are the same in the recording channel as in the seperate units I mentioned.
Old 18th October 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
Buzz has a channelstrip that might be worth while looking into. The ARC 1.1 recording channel. I personally haven't tried that one but from knowing the SOC 1.1 compressor and the MA 2.2 pre I'm pretty confident that it should be a contendor. The compressor and mic pre's are the same in the recording channel as in the seperate units I mentioned.
Thanks Chris.
I've been looking into Buzz. Their stuff looks good.
There appears to be several manufacturers either new or just new to me that are worth checking out. Living on the east coast will keep me from this years AES.
Looking forward to hearing their product at some point.
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

I'm very much in love with my AMEK CIB which is the CS from the AMEK 9098i concole. Or as Fletcher put it - "a 9098 is the most fun you can have in a controlroom with yer clothes on".

The pre is excellent as is the EQ section. The compressor though is not much to get excited over. No attitude going on there.
Old 18th October 2004
Haven't heard the Amek CIB. However,
I did own 3 of the 9098 pre/eqs and was underwhelmed. This was around the time Amek released the BIG console which was also a good idea but plagued with problems.
When the 9098 single racks first came out they were touted as Neve modules in a single rack space. At least that's what the sales people were selling. I ended up selling two of them and the third one broke. I'm sure things have changed but Amek's build quaility did not impress me back then.
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamz
Haven't heard the Amek CIB. However,
I did own 3 of the 9098 pre/eqs and was underwhelmed. This was around the time Amek released the BIG console which was also a good idea but plagued with problems.
When the 9098 single racks first came out they were touted as Neve modules in a single rack space. At least that's what the sales people were selling. I ended up selling two of them and the third one broke. I'm sure things have changed but Amek's build quaility did not impress me back then.
Yeah - you're right. The pre CIB ones are considered both unstable and ill-sounding. But believe me the CIB's are excellent.
Old 19th October 2004
I recognize that Pendulum gear is awesome.
If you only had the Quartet I availble do users find the eq section flexible enough for most recording needs?
Old 19th October 2004
Gear Nut

How about the SSL. I wonder about the whole channel strip thing. I know it is a good way to input but it seems to me that the real essence of a board and its particular characteristics comes out more when it is used for mixing. In other words, just because you have one SSL channel strip does not mean you can create the same sound you could on a full console others factors notwithstanding.
Old 20th October 2004
Lives for gear

The Quartet 1 can do the job for any recording need if you have the right mic and you can turn the knobs. It is awesome. Simple. I only know one engineer who was not thrilled with it. He does not like Pultec style Eqs. That was the problem. I guess some people have trouble relating to that philosophy. That is the only hold up I have noticed, and in such cases, it is the user not the box. You should get one. 10 times out of 10 it will kick your other gears ass.-Kris
Old 20th October 2004
Lives for gear

If you like channel strips, come by AES 602 and see the new ToolKit Channel Strip from ADT Audio of Germany. ADT is the probably the best analog console maker in Germany and this new Toolkit Series (1U channel strip, 1U 8x2 mixer, 1U 16x2 mixer, 1U 8band EQ, 1U comp/limit package) looks interesting. Never been in the US before that I know of and I can't believe it. This company has serious credentials. Check this out:
http://www.adt-audio.com/Products/Ma...mMainPage.html
Old 20th October 2004
Gear Nut

Do they come in a lunchbox or do you have to buy a whole board? A really nice looking strip with lots of features.
Old 21st October 2004
Gear Addict

I hear "KJOS" is coming out with one.
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Aearth
Good and different flavour..........UA 6176 or the up and coming UA LA610 looks good (very well priced as well).
A really great pre/EQ .....Chandler LTD-2......I know there's no comp but you wouldn't know....this piece of outboard gear is amazing, I wish I had 10 of them.

Nick
Yeah another vote for UA 6176.

Nick do you mind pulling out the power light globe on your 6176 and telling me what the specs are?

I bought mine secondhand and it was missing the globe
Old 21st October 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by 84K
The Quartet 1 can do the job for any recording need if you have the right mic and you can turn the knobs. It is awesome. Simple. I only know one engineer who was not thrilled with it. He does not like Pultec style Eqs. That was the problem. I guess some people have trouble relating to that philosophy. That is the only hold up I have noticed, and in such cases, it is the user not the box. You should get one. 10 times out of 10 it will kick your other gears ass.-Kris
Beings you're the only one that has responded to my Pendulum inquiry...thanks. However, having the right mic and being able to turn knobs (I hope that isn't in the manual) can be said about any and every piece of equipment.
Are there any more experienced opinions i.e. specific uses or limitations in various recording situations?
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Broken
Yeah another vote for UA 6176.

Nick do you mind pulling out the power light globe on your 6176 and telling me what the specs are?

I bought mine secondhand and it was missing the globe
It reads......ML-1819

Nick
Old 21st October 2004
What is the 6176 selling for?
Old 21st October 2004
ISA 430

I agree with others that the 430 is becoming my favorite default channel strip. I've got lots of other goodies (and I use them, too!), but having all that functionality in one place makes it so easy to focus on everything else I need to fix.

BTW, I have both a pair of 430s and a pair of 430 MkIIs. The MkIIs are in my rack, but I'm not selling the 430s yet because (1) I don't need to and (2) because I think I actually prefer the ergonomics of the older models to the newer ones (i.e., I like having separate pots for mic and line inputs so that I can switch between tracking and mixing without changing gain settings).
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Since Brad is pimpin', I guess I can too

Check out Booth 615, and see the MP-1NV/EQ-1NV in the new dual rack kit.

Makes a great channel strip.
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

sometimes during AES and so one doesn't pimp ... one gives valuable info on where and how people can find valuable information. That's quite ok but musn't be abused.
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Theres the new GML....and barely discovered TubeTech MEC1A...goin straight to a 192 the TubeTech is avery good match
Old 21st October 2004
Gear Head

I have a Quartet I and have a Quartet II on loan. They are very different units. The Quartet I has an opto compressor and de-esser, the II has a vari-mu compressor and a peak limiter. The EQ on the I is a very nice, open, simple thing while the EQ on the II is about the heaviest sounding Pultec I have ever used.

The mic pre on the II can sound like the mic pre on the I but has a lot of different colors too. I like the mic pre on the I so when I have used the mic pre on the II I have set it up to sound like the mic pre on the Quartet.

The best part of both the Quartet I & II is that you can use each section individually. You're not locked into using it as a channel strip which makes it like having 3 or 4 different units in one box.

I have been loving my Quartet for a couple of years now, and I just got an EQ-2NV so I'm a bit broke now, but I will definitely be getting one of the II's before the end of the year.

The original Quartet is the one thing in my racks that gets used more than anything else, it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I can't wait until I can afford to keep the II.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search