The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rock guitar, which pres?Telefunken,neve,api?
Old 1st January 2003
Lives for gear

you should also look into a Coles 4038.
I take two with me where ever I go.
Old 1st January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen
you should also look into a Coles 4038.
And they are pretty cheap!
Old 2nd January 2003
Gear Maniac

I've captured great sound on elec gtr with Coles 4038 (often in combination with AMEK 9098 EQ pre).

I was also quite surprised how good an AKG C2000 could make a cranked Marshall 412 sound.

/Mats
Old 2nd January 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Hey Jay, do you think you can post the link to your review? Thanks!!
A search of my fourm should pull it up. Otherwise email me and I'll send you a copy.
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

I have 121's and they love my 1066's. Haven't heard a 122 yet, they're supposed to be a bit brighter than 121's. I'm not sure I need that as I have other options for more open ribbons. (RCA's!!! heh ) Ditto the 4038's they are also great (fatter/darker) but somewhat less robust and last time I checked, they were more expensive than Royer's. I think Royer's are a great choice for a first pair of workhorse ribbons that you later supplement with other flavors.
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

The R-121 sounds amazing through the Phoenix ... it's my "go to" set up for heavy gtrs! The backside of the 121 will give you a little added brightness when you need it but can't handle the same spl's..
Old 4th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
Ditto the 4038's they are also great (fatter/darker) but somewhat less robust and last time I checked, they were more expensive than Royer's.
In Europe at least the Coles are cheaper than Royer 121.
For example around $250-300 cheaper in a couple of places I've looked.
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

If I could find 4038 at that kind of price over here, I'd buy a pair in minute!!!
Old 4th January 2003
I would not be surprised if both mics are more expensive in Europe - things usually are.
www.proaudioeurope.com sell the Coles for $1,032 and the Royer 121 for $1,271 (Approx xchange rates)
Old 4th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

I find that gear from European companies (Neumann, Genelec, Dynaudio, Tubetech, AKG, SSL, Neve, etc, etc, etc) is often less expensive in continental Europe than in the US.
Old 4th January 2003
We in Europe on the other hand, get screwed for things like API, Messa Boogie and other American made products that are rare here on the second hand market..

Old 4th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

The way I bought Mesa Boogie and Ampeg heads was to buy them while in LA (Ampeg from GC Hollywood, Mesa from the Mesa dealer across the street from GC), haggle a bit for a price, pay $100 extra baggage charge per head for the flight to Europe (sweet talk the check-in girl in LA), and pay $50 per for 220 volt transformers. Saved $2k+.
Old 4th January 2003
Gear Maniac

guittarzzan wrote:

Want better distorted guitar tracks? Sell the Line 6 and get a Sansamp PSA-1.

Interesting. I felt that the PSA-1 had better clean tones for guitar and I found the pod to be better for distortion tones overall. I created some good distortion patches with the PSA-1 but I seem to find more flexability in the pod. I also find it easier to tweak it to get what I am after. The pod clean tones sound ok but not nearly as real as the PSA-1 did. I do find myself wanting to run the pod into my Blues Jr to mic the speaker more often.

jason

www.mudstonemusic.com
Old 5th January 2003
Lives for gear

I use the POD to track guitars while I write. I later replace the POD tracks with my JCM800 (2204) and '67 Deluxe Reverb. The difference is beyond huge. (API 312 pre)

Also, when using different amps, guitars, pick-up and pedal combinations, the tracks have their own space in the mix, and seldom need anything else done to them - unless for effect. This wasn't the case when I used the POD, or PSA-1, I fought hard to get separation, which usually resulted in crap, especially with lots of layers.

grggt
Old 5th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Considering the pre's you already have, I would suggest getting a couple of Royer's before anything else.
That seems like really good advice to me as well. I remain completely blown away by how much 121's do for guitar sounds of any type. Haven't used the active Royers, so I can't comment on them. My usual choice for the 121's is a Mercenary 4272 (now out of production), a 1272 repackaging.
Old 5th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Tracked gits today...heavy stuff. For one player (Ibanez, Soldano head, JCM800 4x12 cab) it was a 57 through a 1073. For the second player (Gibson SG, Marshall 45 head, Mesa 2x12 cab), it was a 421 and the SSL J pre sounded best (I was surprised). Overdub time, an MK219 through a Tubetech pre came up tops, then a U47 with a 1073 for another part.

Whatever works best for each situation...
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Tracked gits today...heavy stuff. For one player (Ibanez, Soldano head, JCM800 4x12 cab) it was a 57 through a 1073. For the second player (Gibson SG, Marshall 45 head, Mesa 2x12 cab), it was a 421 and the SSL J pre sounded best (I was surprised). Overdub time, an MK219 through a Tubetech pre came up tops, then a U47 with a 1073 for another part.

Whatever works best for each situation...
Jon no comps? You're going to tape right?
I'm going into prostools so thought I'd ask.
thanks
daniel
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Head

... or just compressing the guitar tracks in the mix Jon?

Regards,
Wayne Gardner
Producer/ Engineer
Forestville Sydney Australia
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

I have an Aiken amp. Amazing. Better then my Vintage Marshall and Fender and will laugh a pod or any other modeling amp out of the room. Not even a question. Also I have a new Dan Alaxander (Neve) pre that really kicks on the guitar amp. A 57 on one speaker and an Audio Technica 4060 tube mic on the other. Working nicely. Sounding better than it did with the UA 2-610.
Old 12th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

When tracking to 2" to be mixed on the SSL, I don't generally compress heavy distorted guitars while tracking. Clean guitars get compressed fairly often -- depends on the context, the part, and how solid the player is. Usually no EQ either, other than amp head settings, mic choice and position...unless we're in a hurry and don't have time to mess with sounds.

If I knew I would have to mix it in a DAW, I'd probably use more analog comps on the way in to avoid plug-ins later on down the road, with a bit more gain reduction than I would for tape to make up for the lack of natural tape compression.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search